1. Where did you grow up?
A small town in South Africa called Piet Retief. Half way between Johannesburg and Durban ;)lived there all my life until I moved to Canada
2. What is your favorite place you've lived and why?
Toss up really - I loved living in my hometown because it is a town where everyone knows everyone else (it comes with gossip downsides!). But I love living in Victoria, BC here on Vancouver island! What is not cool about living on an island??? I love the old growth forests, the mountain and ocean views :)all the cruise ships that sail in, in the summer...
3. What is your education in (degrees, certifications, skill training, etc.)?
Sadly, I never finished my degree in Psychology (with a minor in General Education and Social work) - I was half way done when I moved to Canada, I was only meant to visit but I stayed and never finished my degree (was studying online).
4. What is the last job you held prior to becoming a mother?
Worked in a daycare (ages 4 weeks till 2.5 years, and teaching some preschool classes, and helping afterschool kids with homework!) and then lastly I worked retail (don't miss it. Customer is always right my foot!)
5. If you work now, what do you do specifically? If you stay at home, what are a few things you do every week with the kids and around the house?
Stay at home mom, coupon clipper:) - I love saving money. We go to church on Sundays when my DH isn't working (havent been much, because shiftwork sucks!) and take Eli to the park every day! And when my hubby is at work, I play secretary for his online bussiness http://novelstudies.org if there is a need to get back to customers who need help.
6. Do you consider yourself religious, spiritual, philosophical, etc.? If so, how would you describe your beliefs and/or traditions?
I am a Christian. I believe that God created the earth, man sinned and because of that sin, we needed a Saviour. Christ died to save me (and everyone else who repents of their sins).
7. List two things you know a lot about:
The Bible, and Vaccines/GMO foods/Artifical sweetners/Chemicals in our shampoos, lotions etc.
8. List three things you love to do:
Scrapbooking (although, I haven't done it in a long time due to finances), spending time outdoors, going on vacation (we don't do that often but I love getting away and seeing new things)
9. Do you currently adhere to a special kind of diet? If so, what and why?
Currently staying away from carbs (breads, pasta, rice). Eating more fresh fruits, veggies, yogurt and meats (chicken and fish)
10. What is your favorite form of exercise?
Walking - I walk everywhere within a 5km radius, every.day! I used to run a long time ago, but I broke my ankle and never got back to running.
11. If you could change anything about your current life, what would it be?
Better Finances... we have struggled way too much, mostly because of the crappy stuff that happens in life (unexpected job losses etc). I wish we had more money so we could fly out to see my family back in South Africa. I also wish I magically possessed all the knowledge about AP ;)I don't, I am learning it slowly though and mostly via my aunt who lives here in Victoria too.
12. Name one goal for this summer:
Take Eli on Nature play dates with other mommies and kiddies.
13. If you could magically have all the training and skills necessary for a different profession, what would you want to do & why?
Be a certified Early Childhood Educator. I love kids, and would love to have it as an extra when we do have a place big enough so I could take in an extra child to watch during the day.
14. Name one thing on your bucket list:
See the White Cliffs of Dover :) and the wide open fields of Scotland
15. Do you have a random talent? Explain:
I speak 3 languages (English, Afrikaans and German)
16. Describe two family traditions you practice (these could be daily, weekly, monthly, or annually):
Still working on the family traditions - we do make a big fuss about our wedding anniversary because it is something that is special, and meant to be celebrated.
17. What color makes you feel good and why?
Yellow - reminds me of sunny summer days, even makes me feel better in the dead of our dreary rainy winters.
18. Assign 2 adjectives (positive or negative!) to each of your children, your partner, and the 2 most common adjectives you hear about yourself from others:
E - inquisitive and smart
DH - supportive and romantic
Me - sensitive and creative
19. Name a book, movie, song, or other piece of art that really speaks to you and tell us why:
Courageous (movie). It is so important to lead our families, spend time with our kids and be a godly example to them.
20. Describe the meal/recipe that you eat most frequently and why you eat it so frequently:
Indian Butter chicken (made with Asian Home Gourmet Spice paste) served with rice - so yummy!!!!
*edit - we also make the dish without Chicken and just use 1 cup of red lentils (soak the 1 cup of lentils in water for a while) and eat it with Naan.
And for a snack Simply Seven Dill Lentil chips (yum!)
Edited by Autumnshades - 4/8/13 at 7:23pm