1. Where did you grow up?
Right here in Seattle. In and around the Puget Sound, basically.
2. What is your favorite place you've lived and why?
I really like the Eastside. We lived in Kirkland for a few years, but I'd like to live in Redmond.
3. What is your education in (degrees, certifications, skill training, etc.)?
I am trained as a massage therapist. I took a year long 1,000 hour intensive course in downtown Seattle and graduated five years ago.
4. What is the last job you held prior to becoming a mother?
I was a massage therapist! ;) I worked at a day spa in Bellevue and I *loved* it! Great pay, fun clients (no one's ever angry or stressed when they see you!) and relaxing atmosphere.
5. If you work now, what do you do specifically? If you stay at home, what are a few things you do every week with the kids and around the house?
I have an Etsy shop, but it's super, super part time. Like, one or two sales a month, if that. Other than that I'm a SAHM. R and I don't do much outside of the house because he's gotten really cranky about the car suddenly, and tends to get tantrummy away from home. We play outside, mostly. If it's raining we play inside. Or do laundry. It's not very exciting!
6. Do you consider yourself religious, spiritual, philosophical, etc.? If so, how would you describe your beliefs and/or traditions?
I grew up in a Christian home, but I decided that wasn't for me when I was in high school. I've done a lot of research into other religions, but ultimately I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not religious. I would say I'm spiritual, but I don't know how to describe it. I really don't believe there's any 'higher power' of any kind. I just believe in the energies of people and things and how we are all connected. In true hippy fashion ;)
7. List two things you know a lot about:
Nutrition (but probably not as much as Abra!!) and crafting.
8. List three things you love to do:
Crafting (knitting, sewing, etc), reading/researching, and be outside.
9. Do you currently adhere to a special kind of diet? If so, what and why?
We are basically on full GAPS. Mostly because Rhyko was born premature and was on antibiotics from birth and had really, really bad reflux as an infant (among other 'GAPS baby' symptoms) and to help my moods/depression.
10. What is your favorite form of exercise?
Walking, hiking, swimming. I abhor exercise for the sake of 'working out'. I used to make myself work out for hours each day even though I hated it and I've hated it that much more ever since then.
11. If you could change anything about your current life, what would it be?
That I could be free of depression/anxiety.
12. Name one goal for this summer:
To successfully grow a vegetable garden!
13. If you could magically have all the training and skills necessary for a different profession, what would you want to do & why?
I'd love to be a doula and lactation consultant. I think it would be too much stress for me to be a midwife, but I'd enjoy being a doula, I think. Both birth and post-partum.
14. Name one thing on your bucket list:
Travel the world! I want to see Europe, India, and Australia specifically.
15. Do you have a random talent? Explain:
Hmmm... Internet sleuthing? I'm pretty good at that... I can't think of anything else!
16. Describe two family traditions you practice (these could be daily, weekly, monthly, or annually):
We always do our grocery shop on Saturday morning and it's a nice little family tradition. I'm looking forward to next month when the farmer's market starts. We went every Saturday last year and it was such a lovely thing to do each week!
We also go camping with my whole family each year to Eastern Washington (Ephrata). We picked the camp ground when I was 18 months old and we've gone every year, since. We missed one year when I was 19 and we will be missing this year, but other than that we've gone. We rent out a whole section of the place and our group is usually about 30-50 people. It's great fun!
17. What color makes you feel good and why?
Green. Love it. It's calming and grounding.
18. Assign 2 adjectives (positive or negative!) to each of your children, your partner, and the 2 most common adjectives you hear about yourself from others:
Me: Emotional, Stubborn
DH: Patient, hard-working
R: Loving, cranky
19. Name a book, movie, song, or other piece of art that really speaks to you and tell us why:
I really like John William Waterhouse; specifically The Lady of Shalott. It's hauntingly gorgeous and mysterious, makes you really think and try to come up with the story behind the 'picture'.
Also Jesca Hoop's song, "The Kingdom"
20. Describe the meal/recipe that you eat most frequently and why you eat it so frequently:
We eat Taco Bowls a lot... It's GAPS legal and easy! We have them for lunch almost every day...! I really like them, though. I love Mexican food. And Indian.