1. Where did you grow up?
I grew up in the Bay Area. Mostly in Napa. We moved to WA when I was 13.
2. What is your favorite place you've lived and why?
Hands down the Northwest! With my ex husband we traveled around a bit (East Coast, Texas), and I have never loved a place like I love WA. The trees are green, the rain is great, the climate is perfect, and the people are liberal enough. There is a progressive lifestyle here that they don't have in a lot of other places. For the most part, people here are the only people who didn't treat me like a nut job for some of my beliefs.
3. What is your education in (degrees, certifications, skill training, etc.)?
I got my BSN when I was 21. I took some further psychology and sciences, but failed terribly at juggling 2 kids and an education.
4. What is the last job you held prior to becoming a mother?
I worked as a floater nurse for a network of local hospitals, doing mostly emergency work. I quit mid-way through my pregnancy with my older daughter. I absolutely love emergency work, though. I love blood and guts and gore and amputation and other things most people find traumatizing. Trauma was always my favorite.
5. If you work now, what do you do specifically? If you stay at home, what are a few things you do every week with the kids and around the house?
I stay at home. I have absolutely no balance in my life at all, and I cant think of a single we consistently do around the house.
6. Do you consider yourself religious, spiritual, philosophical, etc.? If so, how would you describe your beliefs and/or traditions?
I consider myself a believer in God, but not a believer in conventional religion. I don't see God as some dude hanging out in heaven being almighty and dictating our lives. But, more as a presence and a creator. I think all religions have the same core, and worship the same being, and we all just have different names for it/them/him/her/whatever. In my studies, I found that all religions have similar stories of creation and similar stories their belief system is founded on. I just cant believe that its a coincidence.
7. List two things you know a lot about:
Children and crafting.
8. List three things you love to do:
I love to craft- knitting, sewing, painting. I love to remodel. And I love getting in over my head on projects and having to use my brain to get out of it.
9. Do you currently adhere to a special kind of diet? If so, what and why?
Nothing more than peanut/tree nut free, which I do because I am nursing B and she is allergic. I eat mostly vegetables and grains. Not a fan of dairy or meat.
10. What is your favorite form of exercise?
I prefer intense cardio, but I also enjoy yoga. I passionately hate running.
11. If you could change anything about your current life, what would it be?
We would be more self-sustained. We moved to a suburban area from a small farmhouse before B was born. We had good reasons, but I miss getting my own eggs and milk and growing my own vegetables and apples and berries. We have a long term plan that involves a large amount of property and being off the grid mostly...but this stepping stone on our way there is a rough one.
12. Name one goal for this summer:
I want to see more of WA. I want to go to the Hoh Rainforest.
13. If you could magically have all the training and skills necessary for a different profession, what would you want to do & why?
I would farm my own grains. That probably sounds like a crazy person thing, but Im very against GMO's and Im tired of worrying and researching my food before I buy it.
14. Name one thing on your bucket list:
Travel to Europe. I always intended on it after my first year of college, but I got pregnant in high school instead.
15. Do you have a random talent? Explain:
I can talk people down and diffuse pretty much any situation solely with words and no threats.
16. Describe two family traditions you practice (these could be daily, weekly, monthly, or annually):
Every summer we take the kids to these shady looking run down cabins on the beach. There is no cell service, and no distractions, and its awesome. We also celebrate the crap out of our kids birthdays. We always go big.
17. What color makes you feel good and why?
I have no idea. I love bright colors and chaos, though.
18. Assign 2 adjectives (positive or negative!) to each of your children, your partner, and the 2 most common adjectives you hear about yourself from others:
Phoenix: hysterical, strong
Grace: sensitive, genious
Bettie: intense, clingy
Alex (DH): resourceful, emotional
Me: Sarcastic, honest
19. Name a book, movie, song, or other piece of art that really speaks to you and tell us why
I attach the song Everlong by the Foo Fighters to a particular time in my life when I was really taking back who I was and putting myself on the right path.
20. Describe the meal/recipe that you eat most frequently and why you eat it so frequently
I have a cake problem. Just throwing it out there. Like, I love cake. Intensely. Like, if I had to choose between a good cake and my dog...I would totally choose the cake.