or Connect
Mothering › Groups › February 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Chat thread- March 27- April 3

Chat thread- March 27- April 3

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 

Have been missing the chit chat on here, lets get another one started!

 

How is everyone doing?

 

How are the babies?

 

Any questions, suggestions, comments?

post #2 of 57
Thread Starter 

Well, Liam is coming up on 7 weeks (Saturday) and he seems to have really settled in the past 2 weeks.  He is much happier and alert.  He seems to love his sisters almost as much as they love him!!  We had a doc appt today and he weighs 12lbs, 13oz and is 23.5 inches long (DH was this long when he was born.... YIKES).  He is growing well, but not quite as fast as DD1 who weighed 13 lbs at 4 weeks.  

 

Lets see, I am feeling well recovered, although, I have been noticing my tailbone is still really sore.  I think DD1 broke it when she was born and each time I have another baby, it hurts for a while...  I am not giving up the idea that I would like one more baby... DH seems pretty set on a family of 5, but I can't shake the feeling that we are missing one person at our table.  It makes me so very sad when I think about being done.  

 

Everything else seems to be going well.  the DDs are spunky as ever and keep us on our toes and DS is settling in nicely.  I can't believe he is almost 2 months old.  WOW... time goes by so fast.

post #3 of 57

We're doing pretty well. Lou will be 6 weeks on Friday. I've had some ups and downs with hormone adjustments but I feel better mentally this week. And I finally feel better "down there" so that really helps. It's been a really long winter here, and I know that once the weather is warmer (and I feel I can get out more with babe) I'll feel completely normal again.

 

We have our last appt with the MW tomorrow and I'm curious to hear how much Lou weighs. He's such a delightful chunk! He's already growing out of his 3 month clothing.

 

I'm still not sure if we're going to clip his tongue to help with my nipple pain. It's better this week but I've made an appt with our ped to see what she thinks.

post #4 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandgarbage View Post

I'm still not sure if we're going to clip his tongue to help with my nipple pain. It's better this week but I've made an appt with our ped to see what she thinks.

Curious... Do you have reasons for not wanting to have this done?

 

we're hanging in there.  Nights are still rough with Freya.  Most nights we are up till 1:00a.m.  Sometimes she likes to be tricky and pretend we're going to sleep at 10:30 but then she nurses, fusses, nurses, fusses until the crying starts, we get out of bed and do the normal night thing till1.  

 

Then the boys and I got sick.  It's been pretty hard on me... really bad headache, congested, coughing.  So my nose blowing and coughing of course wakes her up.  I'm on day 6 of that now.  Got mastitis for a couple days and now feeling twinges of that same pain.

Freya may or may not be sick.  No visible symptoms but she's been more fussy during the day, when she's normally pretty happy.

 

I know it's just taking a long time to get well because I'm not sleeping well.

 

emotionally I'm fine which surprises me.  Normally when I'm really tired I get really weepy and feeling like a failure and over thinking everything.  So I guess I'm getting enough rest to just barely not feel like a basket case!

 

Freya is good, nice and chubby and delicious.  Boys are good and surviving even when I spend a day doing nothing but holding a heating pad on my boobs.

 

oh and DH got me some extra sleep on the weekend.  It helped a LOT.

post #5 of 57

Yay for chunky babies!! Jean, I hope things getter better with the nipple pain soon!

 

We are doing okay over here. Autumn will be 7 weeks on Friday! This time is going so so fast.  I already miss the newborn phase even though we had it rough for a while.  She had her last postpartum visit on Monday and weighed 12.5 pounds!!  She's so much bigger than DD1 was and I am sad to that she is growing out of her 0-3 stuff already.  I ended up taking her to the ER at 4 weeks because she had had a cold for 2 weeks and she started to have difficulty breathing.  Luckily she was just super congested and did much better after the cleared her out with the wall suction.  I hated having to take her in but she recovered pretty quickly after the suctioning. 

 

Since then I have just been trying to breathe her in as much as possible before I have to go back to school full-time:-(  I have been having a hard time finding childcare for her so that has been stressful but I think I finally have it figured out.  It breaks my heart thinking of leaving her but DH and I have had lengthy discussions about me taking time off and each time we come to the conclusion that keeping with my schedule is best for our family as a whole.   

 

I have been thinking a lot about our family size lately and I definitely want at least one more.  I just wish I could skip first and third trimester, labor and postpartum recovery:-)

post #6 of 57
Margot is 6 weeks old today. We had a rough few weeks where she fussed all day long and grunted all night in discomfort. Then last week was full of inconsolable crying. We drove ourselves crazy wondering- colic? silent reflux? gas?
I went totally dairy free, caffeine free, chocolate free *sob*, soy free, and of course am avoiding foods like legumes//onions//citrus//cabbage. We also just started giving Margot biogaia probiotic drops. I don't know if it's my reformed diet, the probiotics, or just time passing but we've had an awesome week so far. Very little fussing, lots of real smiles. We just adore her and are happy to see her happy!
I think she's going through a growth spurt bc she has been attached to the boobs all day for the past 2 days and sleeping a lot more. Her next peds appt is next week, so we shall see! She's gotten a lot longer, I know that. In size 3 months but quickly getting too long for them.
I have my final pp visit tomorrow. I feel like I've healed well and have been really emotionally stable despite the severe lack of sleep. DH and I haven't DTD yet bc I'm just so tired, but maybe sometime soon.

DD hates the Moby so far and is a bit small for the Ergo (we don't have an insert)... She's pretty high needs in that she always want to be held. Any suggestions?
post #7 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillmoro View Post

Yay for chunky babies!! Jean, I hope things getter better with the nipple pain soon!

We are doing okay over here. Autumn will be 7 weeks on Friday! This time is going so so fast.  I already miss the newborn phase even though we had it rough for a while.  She had her last postpartum visit on Monday and weighed 12.5 pounds!!  She's so much bigger than DD1 was and I am sad to that she is growing out of her 0-3 stuff already.  I ended up taking her to the ER at 4 weeks because she had had a cold for 2 weeks and she started to have difficulty breathing.  Luckily she was just super congested and did much better after the cleared her out with the wall suction.  I hated having to take her in but she recovered pretty quickly after the suctioning. 

Since then I have just been trying to breathe her in as much as possible before I have to go back to school full-time:-(  I have been having a hard time finding childcare for her so that has been stressful but I think I finally have it figured out.  It breaks my heart thinking of leaving her but DH and I have had lengthy discussions about me taking time off and each time we come to the conclusion that keeping with my schedule is best for our family as a whole.   

I have been thinking a lot about our family size lately and I definitely want at least one more.  I just wish I could skip first and third trimester, labor and postpartum recovery:-)

Glad you all recovered. That's tough having to leave her, but really special that you've had this intentional time with her so far. Mothering is such a balancing act!
post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by waywornwanderer View Post

Margot is 6 weeks old today. We had a rough few weeks where she fussed all day long and grunted all night in discomfort. Then last week was full of inconsolable crying. We drove ourselves crazy wondering- colic? silent reflux? gas?
I went totally dairy free, caffeine free, chocolate free *sob*, soy free, and of course am avoiding foods like legumes//onions//citrus//cabbage. We also just started giving Margot biogaia probiotic drops. I don't know if it's my reformed diet, the probiotics, or just time passing but we've had an awesome week so far. Very little fussing, lots of real smiles. We just adore her and are happy to see her happy!
I think she's going through a growth spurt bc she has been attached to the boobs all day for the past 2 days and sleeping a lot more. Her next peds appt is next week, so we shall see! She's gotten a lot longer, I know that. In size 3 months but quickly getting too long for them.
I have my final pp visit tomorrow. I feel like I've healed well and have been really emotionally stable despite the severe lack of sleep. DH and I haven't DTD yet bc I'm just so tired, but maybe sometime soon.

DD hates the Moby so far and is a bit small for the Ergo (we don't have an insert)... She's pretty high needs in that she always want to be held. Any suggestions?

I could have written almost this exact post! We are also dealing with gas issues that seem painful for her a lot of the time and wakes her up. She will only tolerate being put down for 5-10 mins at a time.

I haven't eliminated anything from my diet yet but that will be my next step if things don't improve soon. We got her probiotics and ovodrops and I'm trying to burp her more. My MW said that unfortunately some babies just have a harder time with digestion than others and they just have to grow out of it. Not exactly great news but at least there is hope lol

She prefers to sleep on someone and partially upright/on chest or on her side. I think it's better for her tummy. So its hard for me to get a lot of sleep although im starting to get used to having her on me. When she wakes up she struggles so much to get the gas out I feel bad for her greensad.gif

I have the ergo with insert which she is ok with but if she has gas she is too confined to get it out and will cry and I have to take her out.

So no suggestions really but you are not alone!
post #9 of 57

odinsmama, I think I might've talked about it on the BF thread, but Lou is tongue-tied (really short frenulum). We've been working with an OT/LC (who has been amazing) and his tongue has loosened up a lot. But she's sort of done all that she can do and he still doesn't have the best latch which is causing me a lot of pain. He's getting milk out thankfully, even with a funky latch, so the clipping would more be for my comfort. So I'm just not sure. My oldest was slightly tongue-tied and we didn't clip, and his tongue eventually stretched out, but the nursing relationship was painful the whole time.

post #10 of 57

i'm jealous of all the mamas with babies in bigger size clothes! naomi is 39 days old and still in newborn size. i didn't buy any cute newborn size clothes b/c i was told that we would have a big baby so she's only in onesies and wrap shirts with baby pants. she's now almost 10 pounds, was 7.14 at birth. 

 

we're getting more adjusted each day with baby. she can entertain herself for 20 minute stretches just laying on the bed and staring at the window so that helps me get things done. carriers are not so much around the house and it's been snowy and cold here this week so i haven't left the house. she also does not like the bouncy chair, even though she loves it when i bounce her on my knee. go figure.

 

i'm still not healed down below and it kills when i have a bm. ugh 

6 week follow-up is on the 2nd, so we'll see what my doctor says about everything.

 

nice to see a chat thread going on!

post #11 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybeth View Post

i'm jealous of all the mamas with babies in bigger size clothes! naomi is 39 days old and still in newborn size. i didn't buy any cute newborn size clothes b/c i was told that we would have a big baby so she's only in onesies and wrap shirts with baby pants. she's now almost 10 pounds, was 7.14 at birth. 

 

we're getting more adjusted each day with baby. she can entertain herself for 20 minute stretches just laying on the bed and staring at the window so that helps me get things done. carriers are not so much around the house and it's been snowy and cold here this week so i haven't left the house. she also does not like the bouncy chair, even though she loves it when i bounce her on my knee. go figure.

 

i'm still not healed down below and it kills when i have a bm. ugh 

6 week follow-up is on the 2nd, so we'll see what my doctor says about everything.

 

nice to see a chat thread going on!

Kellybeth-  That is nice growth!  With that weight, she should be fitting in the 0-3 month clothes now!  

 

Talking carriers, have you tried the moby?  Liam LOVES it.  It is a pain to get on, but he will sleep 2-3 hours straight on me while in the moby.  I will feel several let downs and eventually have to wake him up to eat.....I never liked it with the girls as they were born in summer and it was just too hot.  I think he will be big enough for the Ergo by the time it gets really hot here.

 

Hopefully your appt. goes well on the 2nd.  I have a hard time with BM too.  after 3 big babies, my bottom is just not the same.  I am hoping it gets better with time.  When I take my fish oil, it is much better.

post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post

Kellybeth-  That is nice growth!  With that weight, she should be fitting in the 0-3 month clothes now!  

 

Talking carriers, have you tried the moby?  Liam LOVES it.  It is a pain to get on, but he will sleep 2-3 hours straight on me while in the moby.  I will feel several let downs and eventually have to wake him up to eat.....I never liked it with the girls as they were born in summer and it was just too hot.  I think he will be big enough for the Ergo by the time it gets really hot here.

 

Hopefully your appt. goes well on the 2nd.  I have a hard time with BM too.  after 3 big babies, my bottom is just not the same.  I am hoping it gets better with time.  When I take my fish oil, it is much better.

she's really slender, though she does have some fabulously chunky thighs that i cannot kiss enough. love.gif

 

i haven't tried the moby or the ergo. i will get to a place the town over that has free baby wearing classes where you can try them all on and see what you like most. we were going to do it while i was pregnant, but i thought it might be better to wait until we have the baby and consider what works for her, too. 

 

it gets really hot here too, but i'm a total sweaty betty all year round, so me and summer are not friends unless i have water to get into. naomi also gets hot just sleeping in her diaper. thermostat never goes above 65 even if hubby thinks i'm trying to freeze him to death. eyesroll.gif

 

jenny have you tried a ring sling or pouch? baby can stretch her legs out and lay on her side so it might be worth trying.

post #13 of 57

oh, i wanted to ask, what does everyone do for milk guards and clothing? i was using lanisoh(?) pads that were disposable, but they always got bunched up and carried the milk smell heavily in them. i leak a lot...

now i'm using some reusable organic hemp rounds that i got from etsy, but they are not absorbent and they stick to my nips which feels awful. 

post #14 of 57
Thread Starter 

I used the disposable with DD1 for 4 months and just changed them often.  I leaked SOOOOOO much more with DD1 than with the others.... I am aleady out of pads, although I will have some wet on my shirts often, but just some drops and i would rather just put up with a little wet.  I started using the reusable after 4 months with dd1 and leaked for almost a full year....Glad it is pretty well regulated now.

post #15 of 57
I'm the opposite right now- been so cold due to not moving around much and the crappy weather. And probably from being tired too.

I have a ring sling but its way too much fabric for her right now. I'm thinking about picking up a moby sling soon.

Rissa is also long and lean. Going to weigh her tomorrow but I don't expect she is more than 9lbs now at 5 weeks. And she was 7 12 at birth. She does wear some 0-3 mo clothing. I find they are all different even if they say the same size depending on where you get them. Some stuff fits her and others are too big.
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandgarbage View Post

odinsmama, I think I might've talked about it on the BF thread, but Lou is tongue-tied (really short frenulum). We've been working with an OT/LC (who has been amazing) and his tongue has loosened up a lot. But she's sort of done all that she can do and he still doesn't have the best latch which is causing me a lot of pain. He's getting milk out thankfully, even with a funky latch, so the clipping would more be for my comfort. So I'm just not sure. My oldest was slightly tongue-tied and we didn't clip, and his tongue eventually stretched out, but the nursing relationship was painful the whole time.

Ack!  You should totally do it!  Do you like how I'm giving my totally unsolicited opinion?  ;)

From what I understand it is a pretty minor procedure, as minor as anything could be that's going to cause your baby to bleed a bit.  :(

but really, it's *supposed* to be a quick clip, a little blood, nurse baby and done.  

post #17 of 57

Fwiw, I hated the ergo insert.  I don't use the ergo a whole lot but just roll up a prefold or small towel under her bum and it's good.  Depends on baby's size I'm sure.

 

I'm loving my woven wrap though for naps and helping her through crying nights.  It's like swaddling her right to my body.  For some reason a stretchy wrap doesn't have the same calming effect on her.  I can't nurse in the woven at all but it's relatively easy to untie.

 

kellybeth- maybe wash the hemp pads a few more times and see if that helps with absorbency.  If they're still sticking to your nipples, though, ugh.  Can't stand that.  I'm not leaky this time, just a few drops here and there and I can just apply some pressure and it'll stop.  With my first I leaked and at home I would sometimes just stick a prefold in there cause it would definitely absorb and I had them on hand and I didn't care what it looked like.

but for actually leaving the house... I have these rounds that I *think* are bamboo velour.  They don't stick and they work, but they haven't been used for a LOT of leaking so I don't know if they'd work for you.  And they were given to me so I can't even tell you where they came from.  :/

post #18 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinsmama View Post

Fwiw, I hated the ergo insert.  I don't use the ergo a whole lot but just roll up a prefold or small towel under her bum and it's good.  Depends on baby's size I'm sure.

 

I'm loving my woven wrap though for naps and helping her through crying nights.  It's like swaddling her right to my body.  For some reason a stretchy wrap doesn't have the same calming effect on her.  I can't nurse in the woven at all but it's relatively easy to untie.

 

kellybeth- maybe wash the hemp pads a few more times and see if that helps with absorbency.  If they're still sticking to your nipples, though, ugh.  Can't stand that.  I'm not leaky this time, just a few drops here and there and I can just apply some pressure and it'll stop.  With my first I leaked and at home I would sometimes just stick a prefold in there cause it would definitely absorb and I had them on hand and I didn't care what it looked like.

but for actually leaving the house... I have these rounds that I *think* are bamboo velour.  They don't stick and they work, but they haven't been used for a LOT of leaking so I don't know if they'd work for you.  And they were given to me so I can't even tell you where they came from.  :/

i'll try washing them a few times more. i can't use the super soft side since it makes my nipples fuzzy and i don't think baby would appreciate a hairball. 

post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post

Have been missing the chit chat on here, lets get another one started!

How is everyone doing?

How are the babies?

Any questions, suggestions, comments?

Woo hoo! I am determined to keep up over here, even if it means typing with one thumb on my phone while I nurse (the baby or my 2.5 yr old )

I had been feeling pretty overwhelmed with 4 kids - a lot moreso than when we added #2 or #3 but we've got a former exchange student (20yr old) who is living with us for the next month, so far she has been super helpful! I'm hoping by the time she leaves things will be going better

My little guy was 11lbs 12oz (8lbs at birth) at our 6wk check up,he is in mostly 3-6 mo clothes now, though a few 0-3 things still fit

He has been less fussy but still doesn't take long naps anywhere but on me - he is only pooping 1-2 times a week now which doesn't seem to bother him and I've been avoiding dairy more strictly and that seems to help with his overall mood and gassiness - he has been smiling and laughing more this week which is really fun - still most days I've been baby wearing 8hours a day which is exhausting - I'm also kind of upset about all the weight I have left to lose this time (30lbs) but I tried a couple days of eating less and I was SO hungry it was just miserable so I'm not doing that anymore I'm just holding out for warmer weather so I can get everyone out and do some walking

I've been pumping 1-2 times a day with the intention if donating my milk I just haven't decided exactly who/how to donate it yet, is anyone else pumping but with no real intention of using the milk? I already gave about 30 oz to a friend I've got probably twice that in the freezer now .. I've never pumped like this with any of my other babies - I'm also much more comfortable and having less of an issue with oversupply pumping 1-2 times a day (I only pump the 2nd time if I'm uncomfortably engorged)
post #20 of 57

Austin is two weeks old now. He's gaining weight and feeding well. It seems that today marks the day when he is transitioning into his first fussy stage. I'm thankful we had 14 days of super calm non-crying baby when I was at my weakest. Now with the grandparents off in Malaysia for the weekend DH and I are learning these new behaviors  and reminding ourselves that sometimes he just fusses for no reason and that's OK. We just have to take a deep breath and make sure we both are taking the time to eat and nap. 

 

I started my post-natal wrapping a few days ago. It's quite a process each day. It takes two hours for the lady to finish. I'll write a post in the belly wrapping thread soon and post some pictures. It's hard to explain some of it outside its cultural context but I'm going to give it a try. ;)

 

It's great that every else is a few weeks ahead of us on here. I'm looking forward to having our rhythm settle a bit more here. 

 

I'm debating when the best time is to introduce Austin to the pool. His belly button is all healed up and he's got a cute little UV swimsuit… thoughts mammas? Anyone taken a young baby into a pool?

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: February 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › February 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Chat thread- March 27- April 3