or Connect
Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Birth Story

Birth Story

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

I had her yesterday around 7pm.  Labor started so fast and hard that I was unable to post anything anywhere prior to birth as there was no early labor or signs! We were completely unprepared and had no plans to have a baby yesterday.  Here's the rough version of the story.


On March 30, 2014, I had an appointment with my midwife at about 39 weeks 1 day in the morning.    Baby was head down engaged but I didn’t really have any other signs of impending labor.   After she left, we ate lunch and we put our almost two year old down for a nap.  I left our 10 year old and 7 year old in front of the TV and told them I was going to take a nap too. I was planning to take the kids shopping for some last minute baby things after our naps but 2 ½ hours later, I woke up with a contraction.  It was strong but I’d been having strong Braxton Hix contractions for the last several weeks as well so I wasn’t alarmed until I had a couple of more. I timed a couple on my phone to be 5 minutes apart.  I called my 10 year old to go get my husband who was doing some work outside and went to the bathroom thinking they would probably fizzle out as they had done previously.  No such luck. I moved to the computer and timed several more.  They were now 2-3 minutes apart and ranging in length from 30 seconds to a minute.  I texted my mom to let her know she might want to get her things together and I’d let her know when I knew for sure.  They were really, really hurting at this point.  My husband came in and shoved a cup of water at me saying “Your only 39 weeks, maybe you are just dehydrated.”  I took the water but I knew better and ordered him to call our midwife back to our house.  For some reason our cell phones picked that day not to pick up a signal inside the house.  The midwife said she was on the way and my husband to work setting up the pool.  I was panicking and in pain.  Our house was still not as clean as I wanted it.  The car seat wasn’t installed. I needed to find someone to watch our kids.   I texted a friend and asked them if she could pick them up but after several minutes I sent my 10 year old to call both her and my mom.  Apparently the 10 year old sounded so panicked that that our friend rushed right over to pick them up and I was grateful.  She found me leaning on a table and screaming through contractions.  She said “Be calm. You can do this.”  And somehow hearing a calm reassuring voice of a woman really helped.  I told her I could feel the baby moving down and she asked I wanted her to stay until the midwife arrived. I said “Yes!”.  She helped the kids get their stuff together which also wasn’t packed and asked about their Easter goodies.  My husband got them for her and installed a missing car seat into one of our cars for her to take so she could fit her son in the car with our three kids.  Just as the midwife walked in the door, the pool was filled.  She listened to the baby ‘s heart rate and then suggested I might want to get in the pool.  I did.  I remember shouting at my husband how much I hated him.  I’d never done that in labor before.  I asked him to leave. The midwife misunderstood and asked if I wanted her to leave and I said “No! I want him to leave.”  He didn’t leave except when I asked for a drink from the kitchen.  The drink calmed me down but I was still in pain and still loud.   I didn’t really understand that my body was pushing the baby out on its own at the point.  My water broke and there seemed to be a ton of meconium.  It looked yellow and I verified that was most likely old which I knew meant the baby would be ok but I was still really nervous about it.  It wasn’t long before the head out and then her whole body.  The midwife caught her and helped me lift her up untwisting her from the cord.  I was helped out of the tub as baby had her first meconium.  Everything went just perfectly.  Baby was healthy and I made it through with just needing one stitch.  It was the least damage I’ve had our of four births.  Labor was 2 ½ hours from first contraction though I have to say my longer labors were MUCH easier on me.

post #2 of 20
Wow! Congratulations! So very happy for you. I am on my phone now but will update the babies thread when I turn my laptop on in the morning.
post #3 of 20

WOW!! Way to go mama! Does she have a name yet?

post #4 of 20
Camprunner, congratulations on welcoming your new baby. Thank you for sharing your story with us, so intense!
post #5 of 20


post #6 of 20

Oh my goodness, congratulations!!

post #7 of 20

Holy Cow! How awesome! Congrats!!!!

post #8 of 20
Wow! How amazing! You go mama! How much did she weigh? Does she have a name yet? So exciting smile.gif
post #9 of 20
post #10 of 20

Holy Crap! Maybe she wanted some Easter goodies too!

post #11 of 20

Congrats!! Good thing you were planning a homebirth...you may not of made it to the hospital!

post #12 of 20

Yay for another baby! Congrats on her arrival. :)

post #13 of 20

wow, so intense! Congratulations. 

post #14 of 20
Congratulations!!! joy.gif
post #15 of 20

YAY!!! Congratulations to you all :)

post #16 of 20
Awesome news!! Congratulations!!
post #17 of 20


post #18 of 20

I totally empathize with thinking the fast births are almost harder somehow!   In any event, way to go mama!!  I had a feeling you'd go pretty soon based on your posts.


Can't wait to hear more deets and maybe see pics?

post #19 of 20


post #20 of 20

joy.gif Congratulations Mama!  And welcome to your precious baby!  Thanks for sharing your birth story.  Sounds like you rocked a fast, intense labor!



Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post

Holy Crap! Maybe she wanted some Easter goodies too!


Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Birth Story