I have had 2 C-sections. My first daughter was scheduled for induction because of a screwed up ultrasound and the doctors thinking I had IUGR (intrauterine growth retardation) and thinking she would only be 5lbs. I went into the hospital for the induction only to find out I was already having contractions and they were 5 min apart already. So they ended up breaking my water and setting me up. After a while my daughter went into fetal distress and they made me have an emergency C-section. It was horrible. She was born at 7:04 in the morning and I didn't wake up from recovery till after noon after everyone else had had a chance to see her and hold her. I was the last one to see my own child. I then became pregnant with my second daughter nine months later. My doctor told me I had to have another C-section because the births would be too close together and my risk of uterine rupture was enormous. So we planned a C-section which was not as bad as the first but I still hated it. After having two C-sections I feel completely useless. I wanted to birth my children completely natural and I feel like a complete failure. Well now I am pregnant with my third child. It's been 3 years since the birth of my second daughter so I am really hoping to find out that I might be able to have this one naturally. Does anyone who have had 2 C-sections have any info on having vaginal births afterwards?
Is it possible for me to have VBA2C?
The best thing is to get your medical records, find a VBAC-supportive provider, and discuss your case. If they don't think you are a good candidate, find out what specifically about YOU and YOUR CASE they feel is too risky, and ask for evidence to support this conclusion. Don't just accept things like, "Well, you've never given birth before," or "It's better just to have a repeat c-section," ask for a specific risk assessment with evidence to back it up so you can make your own decision.
I'm hoping for a VBA2C this time, so here's hoping for both of us!
I wanted to mention that I had a very traumatic birth of my son. It ended in an unwanted c-section. For a long time I felt like I had failed and that I was robbed. Actually, in my situation it turned out I wasn't robbed but there was no telling me that. I was devastated. Before going into this pregnancy I had some therapy and have since come to terms with what happened. I wanted to go into this as a new experience, with my heart open. I'm going to try for a VBAC, however, my situation is very different from yours and I know there is a chance it might not happen, and that might be the right thing. My number one goal is to not feel like a failure when all is said and done. I had a dream of a natural birth but I may need to make a new dream.
I hope I don't sound judgemental or negative in any way. It sounds like you have awesome chances at a VBAC!!! Your post just really resonated with me, because I had a lot of grief over losing what I felt should have been my experience. I think if there's any way that you can not feel like you have failed in the past, your future hopes might be that much more possible. :-)
I've had 3 VBA2Cs, and it is possible, but you might have to fight. Current ACOG guidelines do suggest that women with two c-sections be offered what they call TOLAC, but doctors and hospitals are slower to catch on. Quite honestly I lied my way to my first one (told the hospital my second had been c/s due to breech, when in reality that was the truth for both of my first two kids). The second one I went into the hospital well into labor, flat refused a c-section, and was prepared to walk [i]out[/i] of the hospital if they tried to tell me no. (I am lucky in that I live in a major metro area and there were several hospitals within blocks of that one.) This last time around I was a bit smarter; I hooked up with good midwives and only had to deal with one appointment with a doctor who lied about the risks involved (funny how the informed consent paperwork never lists the dangers of a repeat surgical birth!). The midwives themselves were very supportive, but they did tell me that if I hadn't already done it they probably would not have been able to take on my care. Depending on where you live, your best bet will probably be with a midwife.