or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Pets › so ashamed of my irresponsibility as a dog owner tonight!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

so ashamed of my irresponsibility as a dog owner tonight! - Page 2

post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHinJersey View Post

In a moment like that who knows how much force is needed to stop a vicious dog...was he excessive? Perhaps...hard to say not having been there. But we need to give the benefit of the doubt to the defender rather than the agressor, in law as well as morality.

What makes you say that her dog was "vicious"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHinJersey View Post

Are you guys kidding? The OPs dog attacked this guys dog and he was defending it. If some dumb pitbull attacked my dog for no reason I would kill it if I had to. Pitts are dangerous and bad Pitt owners are also dangerous. The op sounds like a good owner who made a mistake and she was right that the man defending his dog was in the right.

I'm sure the punch barely hurt the Pitt.

Pitts are dangerous? That's an uninformed, breedist statement. Did you know that Pitts used to be called nanny dogs because they were often used to take care of children? Did you know that a couple of years ago the "dangerous" dog de jour was the Doberman? Before that Rottweiler? People are dangerous. People mess up some dogs and we blame the dogs. Dogs are the most domesticated animal there is. All that a dog wants to do in the world is make their people happy. It is that eagerness to please that bad people exploit.
post #22 of 33
Breedist? Please...these are dogs! Categories of discrimination we use when discussing human beings don't apply to animals. (I guess that makes me a proud speciesist?)

Pitt Bulls are more dangerous than, say, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels not only because of temperament but physical prowess. That's just a fact.

What makes me think her dog is vicious? He attacked another dog!
post #23 of 33
Dogs attack other dogs often because they are afraid. And even though it looks like an "attack", this was not an attack. If it was, one of the dogs would either be seriously injured or dead. And there would be no way the man would have been able to pull the her dog off his dog (and proceed to punch the dog in the face).

I think what the OP needs is support. She made a bit of a mistake, is sorry, and needed to talk about it. So, unless the intent is to "kick her while she's down" I don't really see a need to continue arguing about this.
post #24 of 33
Dalia is right.
Jersey, let's just agree to disagree.
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

Is this kind of behavior from pit owners common? Letting them of leashes around other dogs to keep them from getting aggressive?

 

I think many people feel that their dogs are more aggressive on leash.  I've had a number of people tell me not to let my dog get close because their dogs don't do well on the leash.  And now that my dog is out of the puppy stage, she isn't not as passive, so fights happen now when they didn't before.  Almost any time a dog that my dog previously liked ignores her and jumps on me, my dog growls and goes for them.  So now I keep my dog away from other dogs, or I allow her to approach them but I try to keep the situation so that they don't jump on me.  
 

She generally does better off the leash, however, except she's not as responsive to voice commands, so I generally don't take her off leash except if we are in controlled areas.

post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Dogs attack other dogs often because they are afraid. And even though it looks like an "attack", this was not an attack. If it was, one of the dogs would either be seriously injured or dead. And there would be no way the man would have been able to pull the her dog off his dog (and proceed to punch the dog in the face).

I think what the OP needs is support. She made a bit of a mistake, is sorry, and needed to talk about it. So, unless the intent is to "kick her while she's down" I don't really see a need to continue arguing about this.

Exactly. This wasn't even a "real" dog fight, it was a dog being fear aggressive. I've seen dogs of all breeds "attack" other dogs, including miniature poodles and golden retrievers. It has nothing to do with breed.

 

The man assaulted her dog. Obviously the dog was no longer actively attacking his dog. The amount of force used was completely unnecessary.

post #27 of 33

First, so sorry this happened and I hope your pup (as well as the other pup and dog owner) is ok. Stop being hard on yourself - my last pup (a golden) and neighbors dog had a fight that  nobody saw coming at about 12 years old. Wolves all of them ;)

 

Also, I willl pass on that after years of owning dogs is that dogs are most aggressive when they are on leash and an off leash dog approaches them while they are on leash.

post #28 of 33

*

post #29 of 33
I can understand the man being angry but what he did was wrong. There was no need to punch your dog after she'd been pulled off his dog.

To break up a dog fight or pull an aggressive dog off another dog/child, you're supposed to grab the dog's hind legs and lift up. Or you can spray the dogs with water. The idea is to distract the digs in a manner that does not escalate the aggression. NEVER meet aggression with more aggression. In the dog world that's asking for disaster.

You don't go near the dog's mouth unless you like losing fingers and/or making the fight worse. Punching a dog in the face is STUPID and mean.

What the OP did (letting her dog off leash) was wrong too. She misread the situation. But at least now she has learned her lesson and won't do it again. That man hasn't learned anything. He's still a cruel idiot.
post #30 of 33

Oh dear, don't beat yourself up so much.  No one, and I mean no one, is a perfect pet parent.  Just feel lucky that you learned what not to do in this situation without you or anyone else getting hurt, and without the dogs getting hurt.  As for that guy, forget about him.  He was probably rattled by the situation and just reacted by being a jerk.  Be glad you and your dogs got out of it safely and don't dwell on what you could have done differently.

post #31 of 33

thezoolife- I love this cartoon you posted, because something similar happened to me in a state park once.  Except for my dog is a big German Shepherd, not a little guy like the one in the comic!

post #32 of 33
I was once walking my sisters big dumb lab on a leash and an off the leash dog ran up to him and then ran away. In the excitement of chasing the dog the lab dragged me down the block. I had to let go of his leash or continue to be dragged. That was a friendly but still awful off the leash encounter. I was pretty bruised up.
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoolife View Post

I was once walking my sisters big dumb lab on a leash and an off the leash dog ran up to him and then ran away. In the excitement of chasing the dog the lab dragged me down the block. I had to let go of his leash or continue to be dragged. That was a friendly but still awful off the leash encounter. I was pretty bruised up.

Yikes! This is why I have a little dog. Of course, he's more of a jackass than most big dogs but at least it's manageable. I love him!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pets
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Pets › so ashamed of my irresponsibility as a dog owner tonight!