or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Who knew this??! The cause of the common cold is NOT caused by viruses
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who knew this??! The cause of the common cold is NOT caused by viruses

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/colds-flus/the-common-cold.html

 

I don't know how many of you will believe this, but I've since become convinced.

 

Let's also take into consideration our son's birthday was on Easter. Or rather, Easter was on our son's birthday =P Needless to say, although I limited him, his body took in a lot of junk. Cupcakes, cream pie, candy, chocolate.. I limited him, as much as possible.

 

The day after, after his afternoon nap, he wakes up with a fever, and refuses to eat.

 

Today, he still has that fever, and still refuses to eat.

 

So the day after his body takes in a lot of junk food, when we haven't been out in public for him to have "caught" anything, he gets sick. After reading that article, and another, I'm convinced.

 

It makes sense why colds are most often dealt with during the colder months.... it's not because germs are being spread, it's because we're all locking ourselves away in our stagnant homes. =\

 

It explains why, after everything we've tried to use to deal with colds, the ONLY thing that has worked the best has been Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, because it's helping our bodies to detox themselves.

 

Sorry to ramble..this was supposed to be a quick post.. but I am absolutely fascinated when I happen across stuff like this.

post #2 of 14

Not saying it isn't true for some, but it doesn't really line up my own experience. I'm no stranger to junk food redface.gif but I've never gotten ill after overindulging, and neither have my kids (though the baby doesn't really overindulge.. just a treat every now and then, his birthday cake, etc. The only time we get colds here (about once, maybe twice a year) is if someone is lazy about washing hands after being out in crowded areas...
 

 

& I think a huge reason more people get sick in the winter because of low vitamin D.

post #3 of 14

I think there are a number of things which cause colds, so no one thing is wrong or right. 

post #4 of 14

I believe it's a scientific fact that sugar lowers your immune system's response, which causes you to have trouble fighting off germs and bacteria after holidays like Halloween when kids might eat a ton of candy days in a row.  But the common cold is still caused by a virus you've caught, or bacteria growing inside of your head.  The same way lack of sleep and stress lower your immunity and can make you more likely to get sick and stay sick longer.  

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 

What about the fact that no one has found ANY viruses residing in someone who has the common cold? Or getting a cold.. when NO one's been out to pick anything up? I can completely believe it's the body's natural method to detoxify itself of the built-up toxins from the foods we eat, and the environment we live in. Knowing exactly how many products are out there that we don't really need, but are there to make someone else money, it makes perfect sense to me that perpetuating a myth that the common cold is caused by a virus is so all the drug companies can make more pretty pennies. =\

post #6 of 14

Isn't the pharmaceutical companies' excuse that it's because a constantly mutating virus that they don't have a cure for it? The cold "medications" don't claim to cure your cold, they just make it tolerable. 

post #7 of 14
They actually have identified viruses that result in cold symptoms--rhinovirus is by far the most common but there are others. You can even read studies where people are infected with rhinovirus and develop a cold if you're interested. erj.ersjournals.com/content/9/11/2250.full.pdf There are lots of studies really. I remember one where volunteers played cards with virus infected individuals. Those allowed to touch their faces got sick while those just breathing the infected air did not. You have to put colds inside yourself so hands are the biggest transmission factor. That's not to say the running an immune system down with sugar won't make a cold virus more symptomatic or severe. If my son would keep his hands out of his mouth I think we would have had a lot nicer winter this year!
post #8 of 14

Colds are fascinating. One person can walk into a room and come into contact with sick people and walk away fine. Another comes in and gets sick. Another comes in and doesn't come in contact with the sick person, but eats junk food and gets sick. It has to do with our susceptibility- what our weaknesses are- and then how our body rebalances. Inflammation, mucous production, coughs, fevers- these are all ways of detoxing and rebalancing the body from being thrown off. Some people are 'thrown off' by sugar. For others its lack of sleep. For others its alcohol, stress, or being around family. And yes, for some, its being outside with wet hair (Chinese medicine- cold invasion) 

 

As a homeopath, I will often not treat a basic cold, because it's more about the person needing rest, and recharging than a remedy. I have stopped my own colds in their tracks by getting present and figuring out what I'm resisting in my life (once it was my husband being out of town and me with my 2 kids alone). Once I get clear and then shift my energy and resistance to the situation, my 'cold' seems to move. 

post #9 of 14
sbgrace got in before me but since I've already copied this link I'll post it as well http://jcm.asm.org/content/36/2/539.short

As she said, there is plenty of research identifying a number of specific viruses in individuals with cold symptoms. We haven't identified them all for sure but some we know.

However, as far as I know there is not a scrap of evidence to support the claims made by the author of the article in the OP. With the exception that poor diet can make us more susceptible to illness.

As far as the not going out to catch anything goes, the incubation period can be up to 5 days.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmainer View Post

Colds are fascinating. One person can walk into a room and come into contact with sick people and walk away fine. Another comes in and gets sick. Another comes in and doesn't come in contact with the sick person, but eats junk food and gets sick. It has to do with our susceptibility- what our weaknesses are- and then how our body rebalances. Inflammation, mucous production, coughs, fevers- these are all ways of detoxing and rebalancing the body from being thrown off. Some people are 'thrown off' by sugar. For others its lack of sleep. For others its alcohol, stress, or being around family. And yes, for some, its being outside with wet hair (Chinese medicine- cold invasion) 

 

As a homeopath, I will often not treat a basic cold, because it's more about the person needing rest, and recharging than a remedy. I have stopped my own colds in their tracks by getting present and figuring out what I'm resisting in my life (once it was my husband being out of town and me with my 2 kids alone). Once I get clear and then shift my energy and resistance to the situation, my 'cold' seems to move. 

I agree with this 100% 

post #11 of 14

Just remembered this thread! Hubby came down with a cold this week, and my throat is just now getting scratchy. Oh how I wish they weren't contagious! irked.gif

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

Isn't the pharmaceutical companies' excuse that it's because a constantly mutating virus that they don't have a cure for it? The cold "medications" don't claim to cure your cold, they just make it tolerable. 

Right, but if you look at other sites that talk about this cause for the common cold, any viruses found when a person is sick, are viruses that are always present in the environment everywhere, every minute.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post

They actually have identified viruses that result in cold symptoms--rhinovirus is by far the most common but there are others. You can even read studies where people are infected with rhinovirus and develop a cold if you're interested. erj.ersjournals.com/content/9/11/2250.full.pdf There are lots of studies really. I remember one where volunteers played cards with virus infected individuals. Those allowed to touch their faces got sick while those just breathing the infected air did not. You have to put colds inside yourself so hands are the biggest transmission factor. That's not to say the running an immune system down with sugar won't make a cold virus more symptomatic or severe. If my son would keep his hands out of his mouth I think we would have had a lot nicer winter this year!

I found another site that pinpointed a study in which they purposely tried to infect someone who wasn't sick with mucus to mucus transfer, and it didn't work. Which, again, we can argue about the semantics of it all day. Was that due to the person they tried to infect had a better immune system and resisted any contamination there, was it due to the fact the common cold is not contagious to begin with? So on and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmainer View Post

Colds are fascinating. One person can walk into a room and come into contact with sick people and walk away fine. Another comes in and gets sick. Another comes in and doesn't come in contact with the sick person, but eats junk food and gets sick. It has to do with our susceptibility- what our weaknesses are- and then how our body rebalances. Inflammation, mucous production, coughs, fevers- these are all ways of detoxing and rebalancing the body from being thrown off. Some people are 'thrown off' by sugar. For others its lack of sleep. For others its alcohol, stress, or being around family. And yes, for some, its being outside with wet hair (Chinese medicine- cold invasion) 

 

As a homeopath, I will often not treat a basic cold, because it's more about the person needing rest, and recharging than a remedy. I have stopped my own colds in their tracks by getting present and figuring out what I'm resisting in my life (once it was my husband being out of town and me with my 2 kids alone). Once I get clear and then shift my energy and resistance to the situation, my 'cold' seems to move. 

Rather than believing the reason the body needs to detoxify itself is due to viruses, I can completely believe it's due to everything in your environment to the junk food you're eating(I believe in the paleo diet, and so, eating grains would cause the body to detox itself), not getting enough sleep, not getting adequate fresh air, no exercise, stress, etc etc. As I said.. I've read other sites in which no "common cold" virus, not even rhinovirus has been found to exist anywhere in the body of an infected person, they only contain viruses, that even healthy individuals are carrying, and which our environment all around us is carrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

sbgrace got in before me but since I've already copied this link I'll post it as well http://jcm.asm.org/content/36/2/539.short

As she said, there is plenty of research identifying a number of specific viruses in individuals with cold symptoms. We haven't identified them all for sure but some we know.

However, as far as I know there is not a scrap of evidence to support the claims made by the author of the article in the OP. With the exception that poor diet can make us more susceptible to illness.

As far as the not going out to catch anything goes, the incubation period can be up to 5 days.


I'm by no means trying to start a fight or anything, lol. Only a light debate. I found it real interesting and I know things outside the normal range of perception is going to vary from person to person. I think it depends on how far you're willing to think outside the box. I also think of it as like..there AREN'T going to be many supporting references, because this is something the drug industry wouldn't want the general public to know. Because more often than not, the average American is going to spend money to relieve their cold systems.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion View Post

Just remembered this thread! Hubby came down with a cold this week, and my throat is just now getting scratchy. Oh how I wish they weren't contagious! irked.gif

When my son got sick just the other day, I started getting a runny nose, and sneezing a lot. Then I started sleeping as long as, and whenever he was sleeping, whereas usually I'd take advantage and get stuff done around the house. In the end, we're all debating about semantics. Whether you can prevent a cold from latching on by taking better care of yourself no matter if it's caused by a virus, or your body detoxing itself from accumulated toxins. I appreciate everyone's input on this!

 

So, I want to pose a hypothetical question to you all; suppose there is no virus, and it isn't contagious. But you go out, someone's sneezing and coughing, etc.. You come home, few days later, you're doing it too. Let's say your body is purging itself because all humans are psychically connected on some level with each other, and that person's body purging itself of toxins was a psychic trigger for your body to do the same? I don't think that's quite so hard to believe. But again, my perception is outside the normal range of everyone else's.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
So, I want to pose a hypothetical question to you all; suppose there is no virus, and it isn't contagious. But you go out, someone's sneezing and coughing, etc.. You come home, few days later, you're doing it too. Let's say your body is purging itself because all humans are psychically connected on some level with each other, and that person's body purging itself of toxins was a psychic trigger for your body to do the same? I don't think that's quite so hard to believe. But again, my perception is outside the normal range of everyone else's.

 

Shouldn't we all be exhibiting the same/similar symptoms all the time then? (not trying to be argumentative, btw, I find this interesting and I'm open to learning new things!)

 

I do think colds (whatever they are caused by) are a positive (albeit annoying!) thing, for the detox purposes! It's good to purge that crap from time to time!

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion View Post

 

Shouldn't we all be exhibiting the same/similar symptoms all the time then? (not trying to be argumentative, btw, I find this interesting and I'm open to learning new things!)

 

I do think colds (whatever they are caused by) are a positive (albeit annoying!) thing, for the detox purposes! It's good to purge that crap from time to time!


Well, I believe it's this article that says cold air is a trigger for the body to detox itself. So, I imagine, that's why when we spend all winter holed up, and go out into the cold, that's when it all starts.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Who knew this??! The cause of the common cold is NOT caused by viruses