I'm sure this question has been posted on this forum many times, but I figured I would ask myself. Is my son gifted? We have been wondering about this since he was about 2 years old. He has shown the following:
1. He learned to use the family Mac and Windows machines at home. He learned how to open windows, enter the first letter of what he was looking for, for example, on youtube he would enter "coo" and youtube would autocomplete cookie monster and he would start to watch cookie monster videos. He would do this for a variety of different topics including NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL Teams.
2. By the time he was about 36 months old he memorized every NFL team, MLB team, almost every NBA team and NHL team. I would test him to see if he was just remembering logos or if he was actually reading by just showing him the team name or the city they play in and he was always right.
2. By the time he was about 4 years old he was typing in full words in our PC to find different items that interested him. Dinosaurs, cartoons, toys. All sorts of things.
3. When he was about 4 and half, my wife and I, being soccer fans, were watching the Copa America tournament (2011) we noticed that he was very fixated on the flags of the different countries that participated. By the end of the tournament he memorized all of the flags of the countries that were in the tournament. There were 12 countries in the tournament. soon after this, he showed an intense curiousity of where these countries were on the map in relation to where he lived. He began to ask questions about other countries and what their flags looked like. he began to search links for flags of the world. To this day, nearly 2 years later, he is still fixated on flags and countries. He's made us by him a book of flags. He can identify every country in North and South America, most of Europe and a good deal of Africa and Asia. It's really amazing to us. He has recently memorized every US State flag.
4. He checks sports scores online every morning to see what team beat what other team.
The above three examples and many others make us think he might be gifted. Is he? His Kindergarten teacher has told us he is head and shoulders above every other child in the class and she worries he may become bored. I've read about the signs of giftedness and he exibits many of these traits.
Thanks for reading all of this!