or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you let your child/children drink soft drinks?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you let your child/children drink soft drinks?

post #1 of 80
Thread Starter 
Soda is horrible in so many ways, but when a kid is sick, I pick up some Sprite or other similar soda. Otherwise, the older one occasionally has some if she's at a party or something, and she can order soda if we go out to eat (which is seldom lately.) The younger one (4) only gets it if she's sick, and then only if I have to fight to keep her liquids up.

So I can't say never.

What are the rules in your house?
post #2 of 80

We take a yearly trip to Disney... I figure they're already so hyped by the atmosphere that a little soda won't hurt anything.  I also buy a bottle of soda for birthday parties (just our immediate family, and three of our birthdays fall on the same week... so three parties a year, really).

 

We do have cordial quite a bit but that's just fruit and sugar diluted with lots of water.  I don't mind that as much because we dilute it a lot and there's no chemicals or colorings in it. 

 

We also don't do juice... it's mostly unsweetened iced tea or water, generally.

 

I won't generally say no if a friend offers it to them.  It's rare and it's not a hill I'm willing to die on.  We treat it as a treat... not an everyday thing,

post #3 of 80
My nearly-3 year old has the occasional lemonade or flavoured mineral water. Usually only special occasions or when she is sick. I was getting lemonade when we had takeaway pizza but I've stopped because I didn't want her having it on another occasion.

We've also stopped buying juice and mineral water and there is only a trickle left in the cordial bottle and I won't be buying more than that. It's a bit of a pain because I really like juice for breakfast but it's hard to say no to DD when I'm drinking it and I don't want her having it every day. I'm ok with it being a now and then treat.
post #4 of 80

We don't have "rules" about food anymore. We aim towards eating healthy, our children love trips to the farmer's market and the co-op, they happily eat organic mixed greens with strawberries and free range chicken for dinner. They're also allowed to have pizza and Coke. 

post #5 of 80
We don't buy soda, mostly because I've never liked it and have no desire to have it in the house. DH likes it, but doesn't drink it because of an episode of Dr Oz that he saw which basically listed the reasons that soda is horrible for your body. DD has tried it once, when my in-laws were visiting and they slipped her a SIP of Diet Coke (DD had just turned one at the time. seriously? Who gives diet coke to a one year old?!) She hated it, probably because of the carbonation, and I'm glad that her first sip put her off it. I'm hoping to keep that up!

She does drink fruit/veggies juice mixes or milk with dinner or lunch, and water the rest of the day.
post #6 of 80

At 4, my DD doesn't like soda. she says it's too "spicy" (i think she means bubbly). I drink soda regularly, but DD knows it's for grown-ups, just like coffee is. I think soda is a highly addictive and terrible drink for your body (again, even though I drink it regularly), so we will not let DD drink it for quite some time. And hopefully we can teach her healthy eating habits so she won't want soda all the time. 

 

(oh, and i'm from the mid-west, so we call it "pop" winky.gif

post #7 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemama09 View Post

At 4, my DD doesn't like soda. she says it's too "spicy" (i think she means bubbly). I drink soda regularly, but DD knows it's for grown-ups, just like coffee is. I think soda is a highly addictive and terrible drink for your body (again, even though I drink it regularly), so we will not let DD drink it for quite some time. And hopefully we can teach her healthy eating habits so she won't want soda all the time. 

(oh, and i'm from the mid-west, so we call it "pop" winky.gif


I'm actually from suburban Chicago originally, and still live in the midwest, and I call it pop too! But I thought "soda" would be more recognized so I wrote that.
post #8 of 80

I rarely buy it except for parties. If we are out at a restaurant for dinner or at a party, they could always order it if that's what they wanted. Often they would choose milk or juice instead. 

 

They drink copious amounts of milk. I can't seem to keep it in the house. 

post #9 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post


I'm actually from suburban Chicago originally, and still live in the midwest, and I call it pop too! But I thought "soda" would be more recognized so I wrote that.

Ha me too.  My dd gets sooo mad because she's the only one born in Milwaukee.  I told her to stop saying "soda" and "bubbler" (drinking fountain) and we could give her honorary Chicago citizenship.  If you say "pop" in Milwaukee people ask where you're from :)

 

I don't care that much about pop.  We keep milk (for cereal, not for drinking) and water in the house.  We will stop at the gas station occasionally and get the giant bucket of pop for .99.  IN the great mix of things my kids are extremely healthy eaters so I truly don't sweat the occasional brownie for breakfast of 4 gallon cup of pop.  

 

Also, as soon as anyone has a tummy ache they are sending me to the store for ginger ale.  

post #10 of 80
I wouldn't care if she had it occasionally, but so far when she tried it she didn't like, I think because it is too bubbly for her. Mostly she drinks water & milk with the occasional juice or no-caffeine tea. I also don't have a problem saying she can't have a drink that DH & I are having though, we drink alcoholic beverages around her and just tell her they are for adults only and she can try them when she's older. She's fine with that as long as we let her smell everything, so that works pretty well smile.gif
post #11 of 80

We enjoy sparkling mineral water and for years, DS thought it was soda.  He really doesn't have a taste for regular soda except for the occasional real sugar Coke or the root beer brewed by our neighbor.  It happens so infrequently, like once a month, I don't worry about it.  When we go out to restaurants, he picks club soda over soda every time.

 

Milk has become the problem in our house.  My DH thinks DS needs unlimited access to as much milk as he can drink.  (DH can put away a half gal. a day if it is in the fridge)   DS has a healthy diet but I can see the pudge starting.

post #12 of 80
I drink a lot of diet soda but my kids aren't allowed to have it. However, my kids are usually allowed to order Sprite or Root Beer when we go out. Actually, they often choose a mixture of Sprite and Root Beer, which sounds vile to me. I don't buy it to have at home, although my kids just had their first root beer floats (with cookies and cream frozen yogurt) last weekend. They eat a wide range of healthy foods most of the time, so treats are fine in moderation.
post #13 of 80
We don't keep soda in the house. Neither of my kids liked it for the longest time, so it wasn't even an issue when we were out. Now, DS8 is starting to like it a bit, so he'll ask for a sip of mine when we're out to dinner and I'll let him have a little, and sometimes he'll order a root beer float for dessert. DD4 still doesn't like it.
post #14 of 80

We'll get him a root beer when we're at a special restaurant where I'm from and we're visiting Mom.  You just kind of have to, it's brewed down the street (and called pop, haha).  He's only recently thought it wasn't too bubbly (or spicy, as someone else said) for him, so it's a relatively new thing.

 

At home (where it's called soda, of course, because it's Milwaukee :p), we don't ever have it in the house unless you count LaCroix.  Sometimes I'll share one of those with DS with a bit of juice mixed in for a special treat, but it's not a regular thing either.  We've shared a fancy ginger ale on occasion too, and he likes that.  But he knows soda is just like candy and meant as a treat, not a regular every day thing.  I figure he'll get his allotment of soda when he's a teenager and guzzles it by the gallon at a friend's house.  eyesroll.gif

post #15 of 80

to me juice, soda, gatorade, popsicle are the same thing. no difference,

 

from 11/2 to 2 dd got maybe an oz of real watered down pepsi from our 'grandma' neighbor that initially i objected to and then i stopped. 

 

i'd give dd an occasional watered down juice. she'd get sips of my soda.

 

then i stopped soda and juices myself and went to kombucha. that's when i lifted any rules. dd was 5 and i left it upto her.

 

she has never abused it. she has drunk soda or juice to fit in. last week she went out for pizza with her school friends and being dairy and gluten allergic the only thing she could have was a soda and i think that was the first time she actually had a glass of soda. 

 

dd is educated about sugar content. she also knows about her reaction to too much sugar - no matter whether the source  is healthy or  not. the last couple of years lots of sugar has been giving her mood swings. but even before that she did an occasional treat of either dessert or drink mainly coz she agreed on the balance. if she ate a good meal then she'd have a little bit of junk. 

 

i call soda dessert. 

post #16 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

 

i call soda dessert. 

 

LOL, sounds like me talking about those cold cereals filled with chocolate or marshmallows and that kind of stuff.

 

"We don't have candy for breakfast".

 

Sometimes I would agree to buy it, as long as they agreed it would only be eaten as a snack instead of cookies or other treats and so we wouldn't be buying those things that week. They rarely took the deal. 

post #17 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

 

LOL, sounds like me talking about those cold cereals filled with chocolate or marshmallows and that kind of stuff.

 

"We don't have candy for breakfast".

 

Sometimes I would agree to buy it, as long as they agreed it would only be eaten as a snack instead of cookies or other treats and so we wouldn't be buying those things that week. They rarely took the deal. 

 

Candy cereal is often dessert.  Mostly because I ADORE Fruity Pebbles.

post #18 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

Soda is horrible in so many ways, but when a kid is sick, I pick up some Sprite or other similar soda. Otherwise, the older one occasionally has some if she's at a party or something, and she can order soda if we go out to eat (which is seldom lately.) The younger one (4) only gets it if she's sick, and then only if I have to fight to keep her liquids up.

So I can't say never.

What are the rules in your house?

I try not to, and I can say than in the last two years the few times DD1 has had soda a UTI has followed shortly after. Sadly, I have a thing for diet Coke

post #19 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

 

Candy cereal is often dessert.  Mostly because I ADORE Fruity Pebbles.

Me toooo!!! Till I started studying up sugar content because of diabetes in the family and then i was HOLY COW!!!!

 

i am proud to say (well its taken me over 12 years to succeed and that i am getting close to the age when my mom was diagnosed with diabetes) that i have been able to kick my Coke habit. while i didnt allow myself to get one except on occasions, if someone put one in front of me i could NEVER say no. not anymore. 

post #20 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

 

Candy cereal is often dessert.  Mostly because I ADORE Fruity Pebbles.

I had the reputation of "the mom who buys Lucky Charms and eats them for dessert, yet makes her kids eat eggs or oatmeal for breakfast" at the last place we lived. I really had people come and ask me if I was "that woman". Yup, we all eat healthy breakfasts and two or three times a year I buy a box of my special cereal to eat as a dessert.ROTFLMAO.gifAt least I am not eating sugar, or fueling my kids with it first thing in the morning! For the record, the Lucky Charms we get now are always stale--so I've given them up entirely

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you let your child/children drink soft drinks?