or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Pyelectasis

Pyelectasis

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I had my anatomy scan today and everything looked good except a small build up of urine in one kidney. It measured 4.3 mm where anything under 4 is considered normal. Anyone have experience with this? They said it's likely to resolve itself but want me to get another scan at 28 weeks to make sure it's regressing. I don't want to get another u/s though. I think it has potential to open up a can of worms. 

post #2 of 10

hug2.gif  I haven't heard of it, but I hope everything turns out alright!

post #3 of 10
Is this at all similar to a kidney stone? I have never heard of it and don't even have anecdotal evidence of the severity of it. But I did have a kidney stone last pregnancy that hurt like holy heck. But all was well as soon as I passed the darn thing. Hope it will turn out well/ easily for you!
post #4 of 10

Not that exact thing, but something similar with my son.  I succumbed to a whole mess of extra U/Ss with a perinatologist to check the measurement of one of his kidneys, for him it was the possibility of what you are describing.  Some part of it wasn't big enough and had the potential of backup, potentially causing UTI's and kidney infections.

 

Well, the measurement pretty much stayed the same throughout and we were referred to a pediatric urologist after he was born.  We had an ultrasound on my son first and then went to the specialist who said "Yeah, that number was barely outside the range of normal and there is some discussion in the community of whether or not that number should be changed anyway, which would make your son's number within normal range." irked.gif

 

But of course he recommended a follow-up anyway. eyesroll.gif Which I never scheduled.  Basically, he told us to watch for recurring UTIs, of which he never had any, so it turned out to be a completely non-event.

 

I won't tell you what to do, but that's my kidney story.  I guess if it were me, and with hindsight, I'd find out what the possible outcomes are first and what symptoms to watch for post-birth.  If the information from another ultrasound wouldn't change things either way, then that might tell me they aren't necessary.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post

Not that exact thing, but something similar with my son.  I succumbed to a whole mess of extra U/Ss with a perinatologist to check the measurement of one of his kidneys, for him it was the possibility of what you are describing.  Some part of it wasn't big enough and had the potential of backup, potentially causing UTI's and kidney infections.

Well, the measurement pretty much stayed the same throughout and we were referred to a pediatric urologist after he was born.  We had an ultrasound on my son first and then went to the specialist who said "Yeah, that number was barely outside the range of normal and there is some discussion in the community of whether or not that number should be changed anyway, which would make your son's number within normal range." irked.gif


But of course he recommended a follow-up anyway. eyesroll.gif
 Which I never scheduled.  Basically, he told us to watch for recurring UTIs, of which he never had any, so it turned out to be a completely non-event.


I won't tell you what to do, but that's my kidney story.  I guess if it were me, and with hindsight, I'd find out what the possible outcomes are first and what symptoms to watch for post-birth.  If the information from another ultrasound wouldn't change things either way, then that might tell me they aren't necessary.

How frustrating! I swear, the more tests they develop, the most common outcome seems to be anxiety and aggravation. I know life on the frontier was no joke, but there's really something to be said for the old days of not knowing all the things we know now. Like how to make those horrible gestational diabetes concoctions of horror.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieIncognito View Post

I had my anatomy scan today and everything looked good except a small build up of urine in one kidney. It measured 4.3 mm where anything under 4 is considered normal. Anyone have experience with this? They said it's likely to resolve itself but want me to get another scan at 28 weeks to make sure it's regressing. I don't want to get another u/s though. I think it has potential to open up a can of worms. 

 

I had a friend who had the same thing happen. She went in for the extra US and it was gone, but the discovered some heart development "abnormality" on the next US. then she had to have high level US every week for the rest of her pregnancy. The baby was fine, her heart finished developing just fine. But it totally freaked my friend out and she decided to have repeat C/S because she wanted the birth to be as stress free for the baby as possible, because of the stress she was feeling during the pregnancy (she has stress induced BP issues). 

 

So for my friend the outcome was fine, but none of it had to happen. It was a bummer to sit and watch all that. 

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 

I am 90% sure I am not going in for the suggested 28 week ultrasound. And now I even regret going for this one. Here is what I have read:

 

Babies who have the extra urine in their kidneys at an ultrasound usually resolve the issue before they are born. The ones who don't usually have it resolved on their own by 2 months. It's very rare a child would need surgery to remove a blockage. 

 

They want me to come back to see if the urine level went down. Why? If it didn't, so what? How would that change my care? It wouldn't. If it did go down, then great. Still doesn't change anything.

 

Doc said anything measuring 4 or less is normal. This was 4.3 mm. I have read that many doctors don't think it's even an issue at all until 7mm or higher! And even then, again, they mostly resolve themselves. 

 

I think another ultrasound will add more frustration and could possibly lead to them "finding" something else.

 

The whole situation annoys me a bit to be honest. 

 

Two things the tech said to me while I was getting the scan that just made me go "wtf" were:

 

Her: "How big was your first baby?" ME:" 8 pounds, 5 ounces." Her: "Oh wow, did you have diabetes?"

 

and

 

After doing measurements: Her: "Looks like you get to keep your due date!" Me: silence

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieIncognito View Post

Her: "How big was your first baby?" ME:" 8 pounds, 5 ounces." Her: "Oh wow, did you have diabetes?"

 

 

She sounds like a real gem. irked.gif

 

I think I would have made the same decision, for what it's worth.

post #9 of 10
Omg 8lb 5oz has them questioning GD?! What, is IGR sexy nowadays?! This REALLY ticks me off. 10lb plus, asking if big babies run in the family is reasonable but asking about GD at 8lb?! I'm appalled! Are we all supposed to have kids at 6lb 8oz +/- 8oz when some of us are 4'11" and some over 6' ? Can I cyber slab that ignorant witch?!
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 

HAHAHA I seriously looked at DH like omg wtf!!? These people are out of their minds! 

 

So small update: MW just got the u/s report faxed to her. She called me. She isn't worried at all and said she sees it in at least 2 births a year and she does 50. So kinda common. In her experience it's never been an issue. She thought it was good I was having a hb because in a hospital they might want to take baby to NICU, give it an u/s, antibiotics, catheter, the whole works. No way in hell I would let that happen but still. She also confirmed what I read and was like "it's a boy thing!" I am going to be SHOCKED if this kid does not have a penis. 

 

So def not getting the follow up ultrasound now. 90% went to 100% this afternoon :)

Mothering › Groups › August 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Pyelectasis