or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › What are your baby clothes plans?

What are your baby clothes plans?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

I am a little lost when I think about what this baby will need in the way of clothing... I'm skipping the newborn size, as I do not anticipate a small baby, but I don't know if I should buy all summery 0-3, or mix in a few fall pieces. Maybe some jackets and long pants?

 

What are all of you planning to do?

post #2 of 20

I haven't even thought about it, and I really should.  We got a bunch of hand me downs that I need to go through and wash.  I also want to make some things, but I'm so busy and making two of everything isn't going to fly right now.  My twins will probably live in onsies and baby legs (i'm cheap and make my own) in the beginning.  Then I'll worry about end of summer/early fall stuff.

post #3 of 20
My DS was 10lb at birth on September 14 and I still had him in 0-3 through December at least. It was even cold in Texas by then, so I did some warmer suits, too. Although I know some babies that had smaller birth weight that gained a LOT faster than my DS, so I guess it depends on how fast your baby grows and the weather where you are.

I *love* Hanna Andersson zip-front sleep suits for tiny ones. I have one 50cm one already and will probably get one more 50 and then 2 more in 60. I have one unisex color one in 60 already and between those, I should be able to make it through our mild winters. I am a total clothing minimalist, but since we cloth diaper and have to wash every day anyway, 3 or 4 suits should def be enough. Or I'll buy more!
post #4 of 20

I have an inventory of boy/neutral clothing and am borrowing some from my sister. Also asking a friend for her smallest clothes (we'll def. need NB if not smaller) that she's offered. Otherwise, there is a really good neighborhood garage sale in a few weeks I'm keeping my eye out for to fill in the gaps and look for stuff for my daughter, too. We'll do onesies and pajamas.

post #5 of 20

I am skipping the newborn phase also but we won't know boy or girl as we usually wait til birth to find out. I gave all my infant clothes away to friends and Goodwill (have this thing about hanging on to unused items plus lack of space). I have a couple of gender neutral onesies and hats but for the most part, my sisters will pick up more clothing items as needed because they love to shop(hate it with a passion!!!!!!). Mainly I will be needing summer clothes due to Florida's weather. However if I were in further north I'd probably mix in a few pants and long sleeves 

post #6 of 20

Is winging it considered a plan?

 

Septembers in Wisconsin can be funny, Octobers even more so.  I'll need onesies regardless, and other than that, layers will be key.  My son was LONG when he was born, newborn stuff was often fine in width but too short.  Not too sure what this one will be like, we have a variety of genes floating around in our pool.  shrug.gif

 

I should add "make baby legs" to my list, I had forgotten about that...

post #7 of 20

I'm with GISDiva and the winging it plan!  And I also need to add "make baby legs" to my list!  We saved very little from when DS was a baby.  But he was also mostly naked whenever it was warm enough.  I think this time I would like more T-shirts and baby legs than onesies.  We did part time EC with DS and onesies just got in the way a lot.  Okay, I have no plan! (but maybe a couple of ideas now!)

post #8 of 20

This is our third girl and our last was an August baby too so we are up to our ears in baby girl clothes, lol! I would like to get a couple special outfits though that will just be the new one's and not hand-me-downs.

post #9 of 20
I'm totally winging it!
post #10 of 20

DD was a winter baby so most of what we've saved is long sleeved onesies and pants. However, we did get a few sort sleeved onesies as gifts for her that she never wore so we can use those. We also have a few sleepers. We didn't know DD's sex before birth either so everything we have is fine on either. And I'm ok with putting a newborn in pink or blue no matter what sex they are anyway. I'm hoping I get some hand me downs from friends who have had babies this year that are done with having kids winky.gif And I'll probably buy a few things too. If this baby is a "spitter-upper" then I think we'll need more, otherwise I'm not concerned.

post #11 of 20

Just went through all our 0-3 and 3-6 clothes.  DS was also born in August so seasonally I think i have all i need.  Don't know gender either, but i am also fine with baby girls in blue and we didn't know with DS so I have a ton of white and green which will be fine.

I don't even have any newborn clothes.  DS was 7 13 and lost almost a lb in 1 week and still wore 0-3 fine.  Lots of onesies and little pants with a hat.  Oh and i do like the jammies with zippers instead of snaps, especially in the middle of the night.  do need to get some more mittens and socks though, they are all lost and would love some leggies as alternative to the pants.  I added a couple of gowns to my wish list because i couldnt find any of ours, but then my mother reminded me that i hated them because babies legs always ended up exposed and gave them all away.  Maybe i'll get a few just to have. 

post #12 of 20
I'm trying very hard not to buy much. DD was just shy of 8 lbs born in march but she grew really fast, doubling birthweight by 3 months or so. I have about 6 or 7 0-3 months onesies and they only lasted me 4-6 weeks pp. We were in 6 month clothes very quickly. I'll look into getting a few onesie extenders this time to help make them last. My DD was super chubby but also very long and normally we'd need length more than width.
post #13 of 20
Sorry, double post.
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillgayle View Post

Just went through all our 0-3 and 3-6 clothes.  DS was also born in August so seasonally I think i have all i need.  Don't know gender either, but i am also fine with baby girls in blue and we didn't know with DS so I have a ton of white and green which will be fine.

I don't even have any newborn clothes.  DS was 7 13 and lost almost a lb in 1 week and still wore 0-3 fine.  Lots of onesies and little pants with a hat.  Oh and i do like the jammies with zippers instead of snaps, especially in the middle of the night.  do need to get some more mittens and socks though, they are all lost and would love some leggies as alternative to the pants.  I added a couple of gowns to my wish list because i couldnt find any of ours, but then my mother reminded me that i hated them because babies legs always ended up exposed and gave them all away.  Maybe i'll get a few just to have. 


Oh, thanks for mentioning mittens! I completely forgot about those.

 

 

Wow, it sounds like everyone is really with it in planning. I like the idea of winging it- one less thing to worry about now!

 

For some reason my foggy brain can't seem to handle all those tiny little clothes. For baby legs, homemade or purchased, do you go with a smaller size for little babies? I've seen that the site has a newborn size, but I don't know how practical that is. I have quite a few in the normal size, but I'm not sure if they would fit a young baby. I think I bought them for DS when he was 5 or 6 months...

 

I guess I should go through the boxes of clothes I already have from DS and see if there's anything good in there.

post #15 of 20

I'm on number four and we only expected to have 3 so we gave everything away.  Here is what we are doing:

 

  • If you plan on cloth diapering, you'll have to go up one size than current because of your baby's "bubble butt" in pants, onsies, and jumpers/bodysuits.    Some of the European brands actually compensate for this with extra fabric in the tushy.
  • All of my kids followed the same growth patterns and were 5-6 pounds heavier 3 months after birth.  None of them fit into the 0-3 months.  We started out in the 3-6 and quickly moved to 6 months within a few months thanks to weight gain and cloth diapering.    
  • We didn't find out the gender of any of them so we only bought the 3-6 and 6-9 month gender-neutral short sleeved onsies, pants, and jackets so we could layer and unlayer as needed.   After birth is when we bought a few more "nice" gender specific clothes for visits.
  • I changed our baby's clothing several times a day because of leaky diapers, spitup, etc.  So plan on buying a lot of the onsies and pants, or plan on doing a lot of laundry.
  • Gender neutral for us was greens, yellows, purples, grays.   I think organic baby clothing makers have better gender neutral colors than the mass producers.
post #16 of 20
I had gotten a gift card for target off the baby catalog that was mailed to me. So I did buy a newborn outfit some 0-3 onesies and outfit. I had other rewards for a store and found a bunch of things on clearance. I had unfortunately given pretty much all of DS clothes up to and including 2t away. I haven't found anyone so generous. Funny story someone was selling sleepers for 1.00 each or 5 for 6.00. I had asked her if that was right she didn't understand the issue. So I continue searching it stays rather hot pretty much until end of oct here so mostly baby should be okay in nappy and swaddle/ nappy and light clothing.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormikris View Post

Funny story someone was selling sleepers for 1.00 each or 5 for 6.00. 

 

"So, what if I bought 8, what would that be?"

 

*crickets chirping*

 

That's how I imagined it in my head anyway...

 

I forgot about the mittens too, thanks for the reminder up there!  Those sharp talons they come out with...DH was convinced that DS broke my water with them since I had no signs of labor when it happened.  The midwife assured him that it wasn't quite that fragile... ROTFLMAO.gif

post #18 of 20

Mamapigeon:  I use the smaller ones for new babies.  My little guy had long skinny legs and they fit him until about a 8 months or so.  The long ones just get all bunched up and slid down and get in the way.  I used women's socks for the smaller size and girls knee his for the larger size.  Worked out perfectly.

post #19 of 20

Plan. I bought a few newborn and 0-3 month really summer outfits at a consignment sale since Bee was a spring baby. And because they were cute. And I spend $3 on the most expensive one. That and our stock of newborn (a few) and 3 month (plently) short sleeve onesies will get us through. For Onesies I love Carters. The are really long and fit both my skinny and my chunker well. I have sleepers, pants and all the rest and we can layer when we go somewhere with AC. Chicago in September can be everything all withing a few days, so depending on the size and weather, we may dip into Bees old summer clothes in larger sizes or not.

 

I always skipped the mittens and brought baby nail clippers with me.

We have a few pairs of the newborn baby legs and they are great. My friends chunky daughter is still wearing the pair I sent her at 8 months.

I am mostly finished sorting the giant pile of kids/baby clothes that do not currently fit anyone. Then we will see what I really have, but I know it is enough for triplets. I love consignment sales and the one I do here has a bag sale at the end. Everything you can fit in a big blue Ikea bag for $5, and much of what is left is baby clothes. So we are well stocked.

I love the Hanna Anderson zip one pieces and always keep an eye out. I love that the cuffs look right folded up or down so they last longer.

post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBliss View Post

I'm on number four and we only expected to have 3 so we gave everything away.  Here is what we are doing:

 

  • If you plan on cloth diapering, you'll have to go up one size than current because of your baby's "bubble butt" in pants, onsies, and jumpers/bodysuits.    Some of the European brands actually compensate for this with extra fabric in the tushy.
  • All of my kids followed the same growth patterns and were 5-6 pounds heavier 3 months after birth.  None of them fit into the 0-3 months.  We started out in the 3-6 and quickly moved to 6 months within a few months thanks to weight gain and cloth diapering.    
  • We didn't find out the gender of any of them so we only bought the 3-6 and 6-9 month gender-neutral short sleeved onsies, pants, and jackets so we could layer and unlayer as needed.   After birth is when we bought a few more "nice" gender specific clothes for visits.
  • I changed our baby's clothing several times a day because of leaky diapers, spitup, etc.  So plan on buying a lot of the onsies and pants, or plan on doing a lot of laundry.
  • Gender neutral for us was greens, yellows, purples, grays.   I think organic baby clothing makers have better gender neutral colors than the mass producers.

Good advice, I had forgotten that cloth diapers give babies a larger bottom. It wasn't much of an issue with DS (he's never had a pair of snug pants, like jeans), but it's certainly something to be aware of.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormikris View Post

 Funny story someone was selling sleepers for 1.00 each or 5 for 6.00. I had asked her if that was right she didn't understand the issue.

Goodness, I wonder if anyone took her up on her wonderful bargain. Very strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnrayne View Post

Mamapigeon:  I use the smaller ones for new babies.  My little guy had long skinny legs and they fit him until about a 8 months or so.  The long ones just get all bunched up and slid down and get in the way.  I used women's socks for the smaller size and girls knee his for the larger size.  Worked out perfectly.

Good to know! I'll have to get a few pairs of newborn size.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighPF View Post

I am mostly finished sorting the giant pile of kids/baby clothes that do not currently fit anyone. Then we will see what I really have, but I know it is enough for triplets. I love consignment sales and the one I do here has a bag sale at the end. Everything you can fit in a big blue Ikea bag for $5, and much of what is left is baby clothes. So we are well stocked.

 

That's a crazy good deal!!! I would have enough for triplets too with prices like that!

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › August 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › What are your baby clothes plans?