I've tried the "No-poo" method, and I just don't have the persistence for it. I've also tried a homemade shampoo made from watered down castile soap and a splash of olive oil. This works kind of, but really tends to leave my hair feeling waxy. Does anybody have any recipes for a homemade shampoo?
- categoryNatural Body Caretagged by htovjm, 4/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- At what point do you decide natural remedies aren't working? Last post on 3/6/14 at 7:07am in Natural Body Care
- Natural Deodorant - Aluminum free - No Hydrogenated Oils - No Parabens Last post on 3/4/14 at 3:22pm in Natural Body Care
- Supplements for osteoarthritis? Last post on 3/4/14 at 8:26am in Natural Body Care
- Do you wash your face daily? Last post on 3/6/14 at 7:14am in Natural Body Care
- Anyone experimented with homemade or henna hair color? Last post on 3/4/14 at 8:59am in Natural Body Care
No recipe here :( I tried one similar to yours, no luck. Tried castile soap and acv rinse (technically a no poo method I guess) and no luck. Natural shampoo and conditioner is okay...just okay.
Why do you think no-poo doesn't work for some?
I tried it for a couple months, and have some lousy Christmas pictures to prove it. I would take a break from it when it still hadn't worked, and try again for a month or so. I think I tried 3 times. I've used baking soda with acv rinse, castile soap with acv rinse, my homemade "shampoo bar" soap recipe with acv rinse, and my homemade olive oil soap...no luck with anything.
I also tried using more and less apple cider vinegar in my rinse, I found that when I used less I was less greasy, but it still wouldn't work. And I would scrub good, rinse good, use acv, rinse good.
I have long, thick, wavy hair. I wouldn't call myself a greaseball, but I have to wear second day no-wash hair up or it's kinda icky looking.
Thanks for replying, CLplus1. I feel the same way you do! I enjoy making most of our products, but I just can't get the hair thing to work out! I have to wash my hair every day using natural shampoos/conditioners -- wouldn't it be lovely if I didn't because I found some perfect homemade shampoo/conditioner!? Wishing someone out there had the solution??? :D
I seem to be OK using Dr Bronners as a shampoo but I still need to use a natural conditioner and something very acidic in combination to avoid the greasy hair. I have been using Dr. Bronner's conditioner with some nature's gate conditioner. Using Dr. Bronner's conditioner or acv along made me greasy too. I came from using a gentle shampoo and a conditioner with no cones in it so I was expecting an easier transition but no luck.
- › March Unschooling Thread 5 minutes ago
- › 2014 Project challenge 52 weeks 52 projects 17 minutes ago
- › 2014 Low Income Support Thread 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › March Chat! 1 hour, 39 minutes ago
- › Gifted class or cluster grouping: pros and cons 1 hour, 54 minutes ago
- › 16 weeks pregnant and thinking of getting a young dog. Am I crazy? 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Large BUMP in the morning 2 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › "Vaccines are a victim of their own success" 2 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › ~* November 2014 Roll Call *~ 2 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Loving my imperfect mother/ adult child of mom with mental illness 2 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Marcy Axness
- › Homeschooling with YouTube by SavvyHomeschool
- › Closing the Door On Childbearing by Melanie Mayo
- › A Journey Through Childhood with Seuss by Melanie Mayo
- › Belly Binding for Prenatal Comfort and... by Kristen Tea
- › Mothering Pregnancy Photo Contest 2014 Terms... by Cynthia Mosher