Popular Group Discussions
December chat thread! 72 posts | Last post on Today at 4:40 pm
Related Forum Threads
- names again :) Last post on 8/31/13 at 6:35pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Let's talk baby names! Last post on 9/20/13 at 12:22pm in October 2013 Due Date Club
- Baby Names Thread Last post on 8/2/13 at 12:06pm in August 2013 Due Date Club
- October 2013 Chit Chat Last post on 11/1/13 at 5:57am in November 2011 Due Date Club
- *~*~*~ October Chat Thread for Nov. DDC ~*~*~* Last post on 11/2/13 at 7:22am in November 2013 Due Date Club
What I Wish I Knew as a New Mom
Last edited: 8/1/13
- Join Your Due Date Club!Last edited: 12/4/13
- Unique Baby Names: 30 Unusual Suggestions to Spark the ImaginationLast edited: 8/15/13
- Baby Naming 101Last edited: 10/18/12
- The Name Game-post 2Last edited: 3/30/13
Names? - Page 10post #182 of 2179/15/13 at 8:00ampost #183 of 2179/15/13 at 9:48am
Thanks- I've recovered from worrying about it. We both still love it so it's still our top choice. I'm back on the middle name hunt. I checked out four name books from the library yesterday and will go through each one, writing down what I like. I got a couple of traditional name books and a couple of weird ones. I'm to K in the first book and so far no surprise wonderful names. But at least if I get to the end of all of them and don't find anything new on my list, then at least I won't feel like I've missed something.post #184 of 2179/15/13 at 3:38pm
I'm so impressed with how creative you all are! And also very glad to know that I'm not the only one struggling with this... DH and I just can't agree. We're having a girl and it's likely that we'll be using Allyson as a middle name, which is named after someone.
My top choices are: Zoey, Nico, Teagan, Arizona or Clover.
His #1 right now is Thea. Others he likes are: Janie, Chloe, Avery and Emory.
I'm totally open to opinions that you all might have. This is tough and it feels like such a big deal! A name can mean and shape so much. I'm glad we still have some time and hopefully we'll come together somehow.post #185 of 2179/15/13 at 9:12pm
IMO, Nico, Avery and Emory are all boy names. Arizona is just too much for me. My favorites from each of your lists are Zoey and Jane (Janie). I also like Thea. Zoey/Chloe, Chloe/Clover are sort of similar, so maybe you two could find common ground somewhere in those names.
After getting through the baby name books, we've narrowed our list to:
Robin Sterling Johnson
Robin Quincy Johnson (Quincy is a name given to the fifth son)
Robin Taylor Johnson (Taylor is a family name)
Robin Noel Johnson (if he happens to be born on or a day or two around Christmas- I also liked Robin Nicholas for this purpose, but my dh did not)post #186 of 2179/16/13 at 3:15am
Thanks, mataji4. DH thought Nico was a boys name, too. But the only Nico's I know of are girls. Same with Emory. Though, my friend, Emory, was the one who told me that it was rare for a girl.
Chloe seems to be the name we keep coming back to. My hesitation is that it is so popular. I don't actually know any Chloe's, but it has been ranked in the top 10 (or close to it) for the past several years.
On your list, Robin Quincy is my fav.post #187 of 2179/16/13 at 4:05amThe only Nico I ever knew was a boy - we dated when I was in high school. But it was short for Nicolas. I'm guessing for girls it's short for, or at least derived from, Nicole. Maybe you could name her Nicole and just call her Nico, as a compromise?
I like Chloe, though. I don't know anyone with that name, and I think it's pretty.
Mataji, I like Robin Quincy, and Robin Noel. :-)post #188 of 2179/16/13 at 10:26ampost #189 of 2179/16/13 at 2:09pmpost #190 of 2179/17/13 at 4:44am
Avery is *much* more popular for girls than boys. I believe it is in the top 20. We are strongly considering it for our boy (because it has been a favorite of mine, for both genders, for years) but I am a little worried how it will be received on a boy, since it has swung so far in the girl direction in recent years. We pride ourselves on being pretty gender neutral, and not buying into the boy/girl divide, but it's hard not to worry about teasing. I am wondering if it is going to be like Leslie, Lindsey or Ashley by the time he is grown (all former boy names). But then I think, there are plenty of grown men with those names who pull it off, like Leslie Nielsen or Lindsey Graham, so maybe I need to stop worrying.post #191 of 2179/17/13 at 6:19ampost #192 of 2179/17/13 at 8:48ampost #193 of 2179/17/13 at 11:12am
Avery as a girl name appeared on the charts around the 1980s, and has since far surpassed boy Avery. But both have been gaining steadily in popularity since the 80s and are at an all time high. As a boy name, Avery has been around forever, apparently. This tool is a little addictive.post #194 of 2179/17/13 at 4:23pm
Court, I was dealing with the same go around with Robin. Robin started off as a boy's name in Europe, came to the U.S. in the 30's but it was more popular then for boys. Quickly it rose to be very popular for girls in the 60's, but now it's not popular for either. So a similar issue. It's been in the top 100 in Europe for boys in countries like France and the Netherlands. So I think there's plenty of support for it to still be acceptable as a boys name here.
I think of Avery as a unisex name at this time, but I associate it more with boys than girls.post #195 of 2179/17/13 at 5:12pmpost #196 of 2179/18/13 at 12:08pmpost #197 of 2179/18/13 at 8:35pmpost #198 of 2179/20/13 at 7:03am
So DP seems to have his heart set on either Mirabai (MEIR-a-by) or Arame (AIR-a-may) for a girl. I would guess that she'd end up being called either Mira (MEIR-a) or Mae for short. I really can't make a decision between these two names! Please give me your thoughts/opinions!
It it's a boy it seems like we're pretty set with Roan Francis, which I love! Roan carries on what could be a family theme: my dad's name is Ron, mine is Ronna, so Roan follows that pattern. Francis is a family name on DP's side.
Anyway, please help me decide on a girl name!post #199 of 2179/20/13 at 12:57pmpost #200 of 2179/22/13 at 5:36pmThread Starter
- Join Your Due Date Club!
- › You know you are nine months pregnant when... 7 minutes ago
- › Anyone having Braxton Hicks yet? 8 minutes ago
- › Sleeping Arrangements 9 minutes ago
- › Wanna help me pick a camera? 10 minutes ago
- › December chat thread! 15 minutes ago
- › advice please - dh strict & controlling attitude 15 minutes ago
- › Welcome! 16 minutes ago
- › Toys and games 17 minutes ago
- › Healing After Birth 19 minutes ago
- › December Chat 22 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by dangill
- › The Night Before Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snow Queen by Melanie Mayo
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snowy Day by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Monica S
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo