Mothering Top Picks
- categoryDiaperingtagged by here we are, 5/5/13
Related Forum Threads
- Help me decide -- ME OS vs EconoME Last post on Yesterday at 6:41 am in Diapering
- Wool covers, inserts and a two year old Last post on 3/10/14 at 6:12pm in Diapering
- Hard water Last post on 3/8/14 at 9:06pm in Diapering
- best way to strip diapers Last post on 3/7/14 at 2:42pm in Diapering
- Diapers still sudsy after rinsing Last post on 3/6/14 at 3:17pm in Diapering
The Real Scoop on 10 Natural Diaper Creams: Toxicity and Cloth...
Last edited: 10/6/13
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering CommunityLast edited: 10/9/13
- Dumping Disposable DiapersLast edited: 4/10/13
- Crazy For Cloth: The Benefits Of Cloth DiapersLast edited: 10/18/12
- Grapefruit Seed Extract to Treat ThrushLast edited: 9/19/10
Newborn gmd fitted stash&possible disposablespost #1 of 55/5/13 at 10:11pmThread StarterI have written so many posts during my pregnancy & gotten so much helpful feedback,but i cant remember it. I get the feel of it,but not details. I am going to start writing down what i need. I am thinking of GMD newborn fitted, maybe snapless, unbleached? I really dont know the difference but snapless sounded longer lasting& unbleached for softness&stains? Ok, then how many to get if i do only these. I have about a dozen prefolds too which I want to use as back up or doublers, but am not a good folder &worried about leaks. I read 20 changes a day/night, meaning 24hrs? So if i use them all up in 24hrs, then i would need to wash first thing in the morning & have enough for until they are clean which might take a while. So i guess thats 24hrs + 12hrs just to be sure? Would i need 30? I am so lost, this feels so complicated. But i am writing it down this time so i can budget . And then how long will theyfit? I thought 3 months but read maybe only 6weeks or 2months? Maybe its too hard to guess. I am just wanting to compare price to a disposable, which i think i will need for a few weeks anyway. It sounds like Tushies might be good, havent looked into it yet ( or at least i dont remember much , so frustrating.) Because then i am needing to think of buying the gmd small fitted , how many& when&how long will it fit, unless i get a onesize. Am i right that once i switch to small or onesize , which i think is at the same time-ish ,about 12lbs, around or maybe before 3 months, that i will then need much less diapers? That is the point where i may get more prefolds for day, fitted for night. I am thinking out loud here b/c i need help. I wish i could get a sense on my own but i have no one at all in my life to ask. I research enough, i guess i need reassurance. Does my plan sound right? 30 newborn fitted size, then maybe less for the next more expensive size? I think Tushies were 50$week so i guess the fitted will still be worth it if they only fit a short time ..Am i thinking this clearly? I just started realizing i need doublers too so any insight about where those fit it would be awesome. That makes me wonder if a prefold inside a Tushie would help or if that only becomes an issue as we outgrow the newborn size. I am afriad i will always want to add one, just in case, is that okay? Oh, i need to start another thread on my attempt at bed sharing&leaks...And this time i am making final desicions so thank you everyone who has helped, i wish i could remember all your tips off the top of my head, i hope i become familiar with this stuff as i get experience with my REAL baby!post #2 of 55/6/13 at 4:26ampost #3 of 55/6/13 at 11:45amThread StarterSo maybe 18-24 because i might not need 18 per day? How to acess with enough time for washing routine? And this is only for newborn size? Or it might be same for small? I just found out Tushies isnt available anymore, not sure whether to forget about disposables or if there is another eqivilant thats non irritating..post #4 of 55/7/13 at 11:39amI've always maintained a stash of 24 diapers and 3-6 covers. I wash every 2-3days and often line dry.
My kids were never heavy wetters, though they did poop multi times a day. I've been a sahm with a very flexible schedule so I could wash as needed.
Sizing is often crazy. Don't buy ahead. Babies grow at such different rates. I could use gmd yellow prefolds from birth till 10m. On the flip of that, my baby potty trained 1m after I bought sz L covers. You just never know
Especially with newborns you can always grab a hand towel in an emergency
I bought some disposibles for travel and emergencies. Always kept some in each car. I rarely used them and gave them away to friends and family.post #5 of 55/7/13 at 12:44pm
Like the PP said, you can only plan so far ahead. Researching cloth, especially prefolds is a VERY daunting task! So this is what we did, just to give you an idea...
I bought 1 dozen preemie sized prefolds and 2 dozen infant sized prefolds. I bought two packs of Snappis because I did not want to use pins. I used 4 covers. When my daughter grew out of preemie sized prefolds, I used those as extra absorbency.
I did laundry about every other day for the first month.
Aside from the pack of diapers we got at the hospital and a small pack I had bought, we didn't use disposables. Using prefolds on a newborn is easier than on a bigger child because they are easier to pack and take up less space. I know though that some families prefer using 'sposies while out.
How long a diaper fits is dependent on the child. Your kiddo may grow out of the smaller sizes quickly or they may grow more slowly. I wouldn't buy too far in advanced though. :-)
ETA: There are organic type disposables on the market. I know Seventh Generations are a good one. So if you were looking for organic disposbales I would try Googling around.
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering Community
- › Feel free to introduce yourself 14 minutes ago
- › Vitamin K Refusal...Would like your input. Good, bad, Changes? 14 minutes ago
- › Wanting But Waiting 2014 17 minutes ago
- › Heartbroken & whole other host of emotions 20 minutes ago
- › 2014 Low Income Support Thread 26 minutes ago
- › Christian moms March '14 30 minutes ago
- › I'm on a decluttering roll! 32 minutes ago
- › March 2014 *already*! What did you accomplish today? 32 minutes ago
- › 12 year old boy is weepy. Causes? 35 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 38 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeschooling with YouTube by SavvyHomeschool
- › Closing the Door On Childbearing by Melanie Mayo
- › A Journey Through Childhood with Seuss by Melanie Mayo