Ok! My husband and I are expecting our first baby this summer, and we definitely want to cloth diaper right from the start. We've decided to go with cotton diapers and wool covers, as we want to use all-natural fibers on our baby. I've been reading past threads on this topic, but I was just getting confused, so I decided to start my own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Specifically, my questions are:
1. How many diapers? I've heard three dozen mentioned as a good number. (I would like to wash every other day, but I realize newborns are poop and pee factories, so it might need to be more often.)
2. Which diapers? (styles and brands) Many recommend fitteds, others say prefolds. Ideally maybe some of both? I'm interested in GMD Workhorse fitteds because they seem like a great value.
3. What size for covers? I'm thinking six covers, three soakers and three wraps. My understanding is that the wraps really need to fit snugly, but maybe we can size up the soakers. I'd like that, since I know newborns grow so quickly.
4. Which soakers/wraps can you recommend?
5. Are there any tricks to preventing "compression leaks" when wearing baby or on car trips? We're planning on taking it pretty easy in those early weeks; this is more for future knowledge!
6. When does newborn poop stop being newborn poop?! I feel so silly asking this question, but is the really runny stuff something I'll be dealing with for six months, (I'm planning on breastfeeding exclusively for at least that long,) or what?
Other things to note: We certainly hope to welcome more children in the future, so I don't have a problem with building a quality newborn stash, but I also don't really want a bazillion tiny dipes I can't use after three weeks. I am also planning on putting many of my diapering supplies on my registry; come to think of it, it might be good to gather some non-newborn things ahead of time, so what should I do about that?
Sorry for so many questions! Thanks in advance for your help!