Related Forum Threads
- cloth diapering Last post on 9/11/13 at 11:26am in June 2013 Due Date Club
- October 2013 Chit Chat Last post on 11/1/13 at 5:57am in November 2011 Due Date Club
- *~*~*~ October Chat Thread for Nov. DDC ~*~*~* Last post on 11/2/13 at 7:22am in November 2013 Due Date Club
- Post-partum check in here! Last post on 3/12/14 at 8:04am in October 2013 Due Date Club
- Weekly chat 9/16-9/22 Last post on 9/23/13 at 9:29am in September 2013 Due Date Club
Getting Started With Cloth Diapers
Last edited: 3/18/13
- Diapering ResourcesLast edited: 12/26/13
- Join Your Due Date Club!Last edited: 3/31/14
- Mothering Article Convinces Mom to Switch to Cloth DiapersLast edited: 10/18/12
- Valentines Bambino Mio Giveaway Winners...Last edited: 2/25/13
What would you recommend to a mom CD'ing for the first time? - Page 3post #41 of 757/9/13 at 7:07pmThread Starterpost #42 of 757/10/13 at 3:46ampost #43 of 757/10/13 at 2:48pmThread Starterpost #44 of 757/11/13 at 11:03am
How is everyone's stash coming along?
I think we are all set but its hard to stop myself from buying more!! A friend gave us a bunch of newborn, small, and medium GMD prefolds. We bought some Imagine bamboo prefolds. We have a good amount of covers both given to us and a few we bought. SIL gave me her gdiapers (I wasn't really interested at first but now I'm thinking why not try them out?). Plus I've got a bunch of pockets and fitteds for daycare. Yep I think I'm alllll set. Now I just have to stop myself from buying anything else which is the hardest part.post #45 of 757/11/13 at 11:18ampost #46 of 757/18/13 at 3:26pmpost #47 of 757/19/13 at 6:34am
I have taken stock of all my pocket diapers and taken pics and compared my opinions of price/customer service/quality if anyone is curious: http://relentlessmommy.com/2013/07/16/the-joy-of-cloth-diapers-part-i-pockets-alva-baby-vs-sunbaby-vs-american-wahm-made/
However, it's not that useful until I actually try them out and then write about how they FUNCTION! So maybe stay tuned until autumn/winter when I have something more practical to say (for anyone curious about Chinese vs American WAHM made pocket diapers, which is certainly a pretty small subsection of cloth diapering in general).post #48 of 759/6/13 at 7:09pmpost #49 of 759/6/13 at 7:29pmQuote:
I'm a first timer at this, but a lot of moms say they really like prefolds and covers for a newborn. Maybe a few AIO too, for convenience.
I have 5 Thirsties Duo Wrap covers in size one, 3 Rumparooz newborn covers, and one Bum Genius newborn AIO. 8 covers is probably overkill, most say that you should only need to change the cover 2-3 times a day...but oh well, less wear and tear on my diaper covers. The Thirsties fit 6-18 pounds, and the Rumparooz fit 4-12, so I should get a few months of use out of both.
I have 12 Osocozy stay dry prefolds, and 6 Osocozy indian unbleached prefolds. Along with 6 Flip NB Inserts that seem to fit fine in my covers.post #50 of 759/7/13 at 12:26am
CL, I'm doing 90% prefolds and covers as well, and I ended up collecting tons of covers too - I think I have 9 Thirsties Duo Size 1 and 10 Size 2. :) The perils of Craigslist and not being able to pass up a bargain! Lol. But I also agree, I think it will save wear and tear. And I have a pile of preemie prefolds I got for very, very cheap as well as 2 Bummis Super Brites covers in NB - I figure those might fit her for a tiny bit, since she's supposed to be around 6-7 pounds at birth theoretically. I figure at least the preemie prefolds can be used as doublers later. We'll have to see how everything works out. I also got the Osocozy unbleached prefolds that look like they will fit well in my Thirsties Duos.post #51 of 759/7/13 at 6:07ampost #52 of 759/7/13 at 7:43am
Shiloh, how about Mother Ease One Size? I got a whole set on Craigslist (actually a different brand but look to be EXACTLY the same) that came with snap-in liners and a variety of sized covers. Obviously I haven't tried them yet, but they might be handy at least after the newborn period.post #53 of 759/7/13 at 9:55am
I hated pockets. But ....I bought a bunch of cheapie chinese pocket diapers to try for this babe. Also fitteds and covers but mostly... bamboo flats! I do love the origami fold, it's fun to do, and they dry in NO TIME, even just hung to dry. That's the best part, as diapers who need ages to dry in the dryer just are so not...green. I feel like such an earth polluter to let my machine run for hours just to dry the darned diapers. And I have no patience to wait two days while an AIO air dries and is crunchy after. Plus, I love cashmere overalls/pants and wool and cashmere soakers for covers that never leak! PUL always let me down. But, I'm going to try again.post #54 of 759/7/13 at 11:50ampost #55 of 759/7/13 at 12:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by rainydaycraft
CL, I'm doing 90% prefolds and covers as well, and I ended up collecting tons of covers too - I think I have 9 Thirsties Duo Size 1 and 10 Size 2. :) The perils of Craigslist and not being able to pass up a bargain! Lol. But I also agree, I think it will save wear and tear. And I have a pile of preemie prefolds I got for very, very cheap as well as 2 Bummis Super Brites covers in NB - I figure those might fit her for a tiny bit, since she's supposed to be around 6-7 pounds at birth theoretically. I figure at least the preemie prefolds can be used as doublers later. We'll have to see how everything works out. I also got the Osocozy unbleached prefolds that look like they will fit well in my Thirsties Duos.
I hardly ever see cloth diapers on Craigslist, I don't think many people cloth diaper around here. I hope the Thirsties work well for us, I've heard good things. I don't have any size 2, I will be moving to Flip covers and inserts as soon as my others are outgrown.post #56 of 759/7/13 at 6:40pmI barely ever see them on Craigslist either, but I check super often and have been able to get a few steals that way even though they are barely ever listed. My best deal was just on our neighborhood message board though. A mom in my neighborhood had tried cloth but changed her mind and was selling all her GMD prefolds and covers SUPER cheap. All was unused except newborn sizes!post #57 of 759/7/13 at 9:06pmHah, well, owing to my hippie town, cloth diapers DO show up frequently on Craiglist. The downside is, though, at least half of the people selling them are trying to get WAY too much for them, and I did get burned once or twice with people claiming things were in better condition than they are. Also, being that I want to do prefolds and covers, the majority of the town is selling off used Bum Geniuses, which while cool, isn't really in my price range EVEN with the used prices.
I'm super diligent about checking, too. Well, I was, but now my husband has hinted it's time to stop, and he's probably right - anything else I need, I can get after the kiddo comes.post #58 of 759/8/13 at 2:25amQuote:
I used to buy Righteous Baby.
I'm huge on the WAHM shopping. All my covers and clothes that can be covers are WAHM. I do have a pair of dappi nylon pull on pants (well, 2), and as for diapers, I have a ton of WAHM pockets and AIOs to try, but mostly bamboo flats.post #59 of 759/9/13 at 1:46am
This has been soooo helpful! I think I'm going to turn into an etsy addict though. Lol!
We don't have a cloth stash at all yet. But my baby shower is next weekend and I registered for a few different types. We are also having a diaper raffle and I told everyone any type of cloth diaper would be okay. At first we said we would try both cloth and disposables, but the more I read about cloth, the more I like it. So now I'm wishing I'd told my mother to put only cloth diapers on the invite...oh well I can always take the others in and exchange them. We are on a very tight budget so I'm sure our stash will be built bit by bit. And I think we will try different styles and brands as we go along. This is our first baby, and we plan to have a big family so I'm sure any cloth diapers we end use with will be worth every penny we put into them. I'm thinking I'm mite even try to make my own at some point.post #60 of 759/9/13 at 8:55am
I have 13 newborn sized AIO diapers and 10 OS AIO/AI2/covers with fitteds ..... just need 10-14 more OS and 7-10ish newborns right? ahhhh buildling a stash seems like its taking forever. I don't think I'm getting a baby shower, so it's kind of all on us.
I don't mind washing the newborn ones every other day or so because it's such a short time period that she'll be in them, but the one size ones I want more of because I want to only have to wash them every 2 days or so. I rEALLLLLY like the bumgenius elementals/freetimes- but they are the most expensive I think- 20 bucks or so for a diaper even used on ebay! I did get 7 grovias on ebay for around $70 total though- which at $10/diaper I think is a great deal. My midwife says I'm probably going to have a 6ish pound baby so I'm pretty confident that buying newborn cloth diapers isn't a mistake- and i can sell them on ebay after.
Now hearing that everyone likes prefolds, I'm KIND of inclined to get a set of flats just to see how they work/if I like them. They are really cost effective, and if I don't like them for diapers I can always use them for burp rags/cleaning cloths right?
- Diapering Resources
- › Why Is Jenny McCarthy Dangerous? 2 minutes ago
- › Do you give to charity? 3 minutes ago
- › fun thread - let's make a list 6 minutes ago
- › Why do some people just disappear? 9 minutes ago
- › Please help a girl out... 13 minutes ago
- › ASK: Kama'aina Mama; In this thread I answer all your questions. 15 minutes ago
- › Christian mom April '14 17 minutes ago
- › Looking for ob to see homebirth mom in Columbia, SC area 22 minutes ago
- › Best way to deal with toddler tantrums? 23 minutes ago
- › lightweight baby carrier 27 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool
- › Mayim Bialik Opens Up About Her Breastfeeding... by Melanie Mayo
- › Freedom Together: Mothering Mavens Try Out... by Melanie Mayo
- › Magic Under the Table by BrainChild
- › So Precious It Hurts by Sheryl Paul
- › Is Your Child Ready to Read? A Checklist by Melanie Mayo