or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Multicultural Families › Fixing the world, one "mixed' baby at a time
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fixing the world, one "mixed' baby at a time

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

The best way to end the hate is to mix us all up.  Of course keeping ones culture is vital.  Wait... then how is this going to work?

post #2 of 12

This is an interesting question...thinking and I will be back to reply!

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

This is an interesting question...thinking and I will be back to reply!

This is a long pause before you actually reply.  I have been checking this for several days now hoping you had some revelation.  

post #4 of 12
I think we can all live together in harmony without necessarily having to mix it up so to speak. I have absolutely zero reservations about interracial families btw, I just don't think they're necessarily a) a magic cure for racism or b) an absolute necessity. I think a family is wherever you find love and acceptance. I say let love take you where it will and teach your children by example to show acceptance and tolerance regardless of creed or colour. I'm eastern European by birth and I happened to find love with someone whose roots are western European. If you see us on the street, we look like your average white couple. If you dig deeper, there are multiple cultures and languages making up our identities. I didn't set out to land a "nice white boy". In fact in my young adulthood I've dated individuals of a wide variety of visible minorities but the one who ended up being "the one" happened to be Caucasian too. I didn't throw him back for that, let me tell you wink1.gif. Yes, our 2 year old is a blue eyed little blondie but as she grows, she will see that good people come in all sorts of packages. She will be in a heap of trouble if she ever makes a snide comment based on race, orientation, disability or any other visibly discernible characteristic. I think we need to live and let live, embrace diverse, multiracial families and instill in our children that the worth of a person comes from within and isn't based on any superficial characteristic. If our hearts take us down the path of interracial relationships, that's wonderful and if that's not how it works out, that's not a failing either. What we need to remember is that while our cultural heritage certainly enriches our day to day experience, we should not let it hold us back. We can teach our kids where they came from but we need not stop there. Why not teach them about different peoples, their beliefs and values and see what resonates. I find it such a shame that currently school curriculum in social studies (at least around here) focuses on the history of the 20th century but entirely misses the earliest part of human history. I think children would benefit immensely from learning of humanity's origins and how we came to spread across the globe and adapt to different environments to create the rich mix of cultures we see today.

Ok so this is pretty rambling and incoherent but I was compelled to post - instead of sleep - at 5 am wink1.gif
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronart View Post

The best way to end the hate is to mix us all up.  Of course keeping ones culture is vital.  Wait... then how is this going to work?

 

I do not agree with your initial premise. It is a fallacy. 

 

Mixing us all up is not the best way to end hate. There is plenty of hatred amongst people who are ostensibly similar. 

 

I say that as one of those "mixed" babies. 


Edited by ollyoxenfree - 5/23/13 at 7:04am
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

 

I do not agree with your initial premise. It is a fallacy. 

 

Mixing us all up is not the best way to end hate. There is plenty of hatred amongst people who are ostensibly similar. 

 

I say that as one of those "mixed" babies. 

I agree with you, it is a fallacy.  My father is Jewish, my mother is Latina.  Many Latinos have given me grief when I identify as Latino because my father is Jewish and my last name is not of latin decent.  Jews say I am not Jewish because only the mother can pass down the ethnic identification.  Therefore, each side of my identity rejects the half that is similar and tells me that I am the other.  

 

Thanks for the post and insightful argument.  

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

I think we can all live together in harmony without necessarily having to mix it up so to speak. I have absolutely zero reservations about interracial families btw, I just don't think they're necessarily a) a magic cure for racism or b) an absolute necessity. I think a family is wherever you find love and acceptance. I say let love take you where it will and teach your children by example to show acceptance and tolerance regardless of creed or colour. I'm eastern European by birth and I happened to find love with someone whose roots are western European. If you see us on the street, we look like your average white couple. If you dig deeper, there are multiple cultures and languages making up our identities. I didn't set out to land a "nice white boy". In fact in my young adulthood I've dated individuals of a wide variety of visible minorities but the one who ended up being "the one" happened to be Caucasian too. I didn't throw him back for that, let me tell you wink1.gif. Yes, our 2 year old is a blue eyed little blondie but as she grows, she will see that good people come in all sorts of packages. She will be in a heap of trouble if she ever makes a snide comment based on race, orientation, disability or any other visibly discernible characteristic. I think we need to live and let live, embrace diverse, multiracial families and instill in our children that the worth of a person comes from within and isn't based on any superficial characteristic. If our hearts take us down the path of interracial relationships, that's wonderful and if that's not how it works out, that's not a failing either. What we need to remember is that while our cultural heritage certainly enriches our day to day experience, we should not let it hold us back. We can teach our kids where they came from but we need not stop there. Why not teach them about different peoples, their beliefs and values and see what resonates. I find it such a shame that currently school curriculum in social studies (at least around here) focuses on the history of the 20th century but entirely misses the earliest part of human history. I think children would benefit immensely from learning of humanity's origins and how we came to spread across the globe and adapt to different environments to create the rich mix of cultures we see today.

Ok so this is pretty rambling and incoherent but I was compelled to post - instead of sleep - at 5 am wink1.gif

Thanks for your post.  I think you are right on.  I am amazed by much of the curriculum taught in public schools.  Not only is the perspective typically monocultural, it leaves out many contributions of women and the LGBTA community.  

 

Keep teaching love, our world can never get enough.

post #8 of 12

Yes ronart~ your question is loaded and I was wondering if you were just trying o get a conversation started, good job! Because as we know too well horizontal oppression happens just as well.

Though this may not be what you are looking for it is the only way I can really partly answer your question. How can I love? I can only be responsible for my self and answer:

I try as hard as I can to be compassionate towards others and myself which is not easy.

 make no judgements and put myself in others "shoes"

 empathize as much as possible because it keeps me grounded.

And I try to take on step at a time...try.....

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

Yes ronart~ your question is loaded and I was wondering if you were just trying o get a conversation started, good job! Because as we know too well horizontal oppression happens just as well.

Though this may not be what you are looking for it is the only way I can really partly answer your question. How can I love? I can only be responsible for my self and answer:

I try as hard as I can to be compassionate towards others and myself which is not easy.

 make no judgements and put myself in others "shoes"

 empathize as much as possible because it keeps me grounded.

And I try to take on step at a time...try.....

Thanks for getting back with your thoughts.  I like that you say that you try and put yourself in the shoes of other people.  Off the subject, but the statement made me how cute my son is when he physically puts himself in my shoes, or better yet my rain boots.  He also tries to take one step at a time, which is even cuter.  

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronart View Post

The best way to end the hate is to mix us all up.  Of course keeping ones culture is vital.  Wait... then how is this going to work?

 


As to how to keep one's culture; kind of a moot point if everybody is allowed to be who they are and not serve some utopian agenda.

 

Being that my son is biracial I also think it puts undue pressure on him to shoulder a responsibility that's not his.  

 

http://blackpeopleloveus.com/ 

 

I also think that if we all looked the same, we would still fight over our different religions and ideologies.

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by demeter888 View Post

 


As to how to keep one's culture; kind of a moot point if everybody is allowed to be who they are and not serve some utopian agenda.

 

Being that my son is biracial I also think it puts undue pressure on him to shoulder a responsibility that's not his.  

 

http://blackpeopleloveus.com/

 

I also think that if we all looked the same, we would still fight over our different religions and ideologies.

I am not sure what the link has to do with your post or the thread but thanks for sharing.  My wife and I had a great laugh and my friends are all enjoying it.  

post #12 of 12

Nothing, really.  Just in vein with the same mentality of wanting to be "good" and yet having no clue what it's like to be in the person's shoes. Glad you enjoy it:-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Multicultural Families
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Multicultural Families › Fixing the world, one "mixed' baby at a time