For those who have or had insomnia during pregnancy, what worked best for you?
I have found I am unable to sleep more than 7 hours a night no matter how sleep deprived I am. I also find it almost impossible to nap during the day and have been like that since I was a toddler.
FYI here is what I plan to start trying (if I am not already doing it):
1. maintain a rigid schedule no matter what, that follows my body's clock. (for me this means going to be ridiculously early. If I don't, the sleepy feeling goes away.
2. layer several foam mattresses AND a body pillow, to improve circulation and reduce tossing and turning. I use 4 pads now and find I don't twitch and have numbness like I used to.
3. Stay cool; use a lightweight sheet or blanket and no/few clothes.
4. Use white noise or a fan to drown out noises.
5. If I do get up in the night, stay in bed, write down whatever is on my mind, and turn off the light as soon as I feel sleepy again. Usually take around 45 minutes.
6. drink lots of water early in the day so you don't become parched by evening; avoid liquids and liquidy foods 3 hours before bed.
7. Blackout curtains.
8. This is really weird, but I have found eating to help a lot too if I wake up in the middle of the night. It's like my body is highly attuned to nourishing the bun in the oven to prepare me for breastfeeding/night-feedings. A few pieces of bread tells my brain all is well. I got this tip on the forum last year!
I also have a minor anxiety disorder that makes me a ridiculously light sleeper, and that's tougher during pregnancy. Getting tuned in to our new circadian cycles is hard.