HI. Im new here and I am desperate for some help. I have 2 children who stay sick. Both of them have had their tonsils and adenoids removed and they have both had a sinus cleanse. My 5 yr old daughter has had a lot of trouble with her sinuses....probably once a month we get a sinus infection with stuff dripping down the back of her throat. Everytime she gets sick she is put on an antibiotic and is well within a week. My 2 yr old son has stayed sick most of this past year. He has literally been on at least one antibiotic every month..sometimes 2 antibiotics. His pediatricians have to change his meds because nothing seems to get him well and keep him well. My son also has a history of febrile seizures...he has had 3 now since birth, all due to having a fever. The first 2 seizures were due to tonsilitis and this last one-after his tonsils were removed- were do to a red throat. The problem with him is that he seems to always have a fever...a low grade one. Any fever with him scares me to death. He has been off and on sick for the past 3 weeks...we are on our 3rd antibiotic now. He hasn't had a fever at all this week and this morning he woke up with one. This would be day 4 of being on the new antibiotic, meds for sinus congestion, and a steroid. Im tired of the frequent pedi visits and the frequent fevers. Ive got to do something to get these kids well and keep them well. Any help any of you can give me will be greatly appreciated!!
- categoryHealth Healingtagged by MGaines2780, 5/17/13
Related Forum Threads
- hope this helps Last post on Yesterday at 12:43 pm in Women's Health
- Gallstones and pregnancy Last post on 3/11/14 at 9:16am in Women's Health
- Would this pic concern you or is this a lighting/angle issue Last post on 3/5/14 at 6:37pm in Women's Health
- Need Answers. Last post on 3/10/14 at 4:39pm in Women's Health
- Inner Vibration in arms, and muscle Twitching. Scared Last post on 3/4/14 at 8:23am in Women's Health
3 Family-Tested Secrets to Not Getting Sick
Last edited: 1/2/14
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?Last edited: 11/2/13
- The Crunchy Mom’s Guide to Working with Your PediatricianLast edited: 10/25/13
- An asthma epidemic and a climate crisisLast edited: 10/31/12
- Mood NeurotransmittersLast edited: 6/27/11
Please help! My children stay sick!!post #1 of 55/17/13 at 11:22amThread Starterpost #2 of 55/17/13 at 4:25pm
If it were me, I'd cut out the antibiotics and all the other meds and focus on diet and nutrition. The antibiotics aren't working. If you're needing to constantly switch antibiotics, maybe this isn't bacterial?
Be brutally honest (with yourself - you don't have to tell us) with how your children are eating. Are they eating whole foods, fruits, veggies, good fats and protein?
Personally, I'd cut out all sugar, grains and dairy. I'd focus on lots of healthy fats, veggies, protein and fruits. I'd also be giving lots of fermented foods or supplementing with probiotics. I'd also be supplementing with vitamin C and D at least until my kids got healthy.
Have you considered seeing an alternative doctor like a naturopath? It seems as if your doctor isn't really finding out what's going on - just giving meds and more meds which aren't working. Personally, I'd take my child to a naturopath who is going to dig deeper and help you figure out what's causing all this illness.
I'm sorry mama - there is nothing worse than sick kids :(post #3 of 55/17/13 at 5:53pmThread Starter
Thank you for responding! To be honest with you, my kids are both pretty picky and really only want to stuff thats not so great. I try to cook healthy meals for them but they both take one look at it and walk away. My daughter loves fruits, hates vegetables except green beans. My son is the exact opposite...hates fruits, loves green beans, carrots, corn. I have tried to introduce new things to them but they both refuse to eat it. Ive just started doing some research on things that I can start doing differently and vitamins I can start adding in. I took both my kids back to their pedi today. My daughter is getting better but my son has picked up an ear infection while on antibiotics. I did request that we get some blood work done to check his immune system so we will be doing that some time next week. Hopefully I can get some answers and some guidance on where to start to get these kids healthy and keep them healthy!post #4 of 55/19/13 at 9:24pm
Ear infections typically are viral, not bacterial. I'm praying your Ped didn't suggest another antibiotic to take care of the new ear infection.
Testing is a good place to start. I'd also explore the possibility of food allergies. Undiagnosed food allergies can cause lots of illness.
I totally get kids that are picky but, they will eat what you have available to them. It may take a while but, if you have junk food, they'll eat it. But, if their only choices are healthy ones, they'll eat it. You may have to narrow down what they will eat - if they will only eat certain fruits or veggies, that's fine - feed those regularly but, introduce new ones every now and again. But, if you've got sick kids, you really, really have to make sure they are eating as healthy as possible. Even if that's green beans every night - better green beans than sugar or other health damaging foods.
Hoping you find out what's going on!
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 51 minutes ago
- › Nursing my 2.5 year old who is driving me crazy! And H is telling... 1 hour ago
- › "End mommy wars": What do you think? 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Anyone showing already? 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › General Chat 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › Career 1 hour, 30 minutes ago
- › Should I talk to my kids about PPD? 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › 9-10DPO AF Due on the 18th 1 hour, 41 minutes ago
- › Home use fetal heart doppler 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › Is it legal for my landlord to.... 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher