or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Recent Ken Robinson TED Talk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recent Ken Robinson TED Talk

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

His earlier talks were very popular, so I thought people might be interested in a recent presentation....

 

How to Escape Education's Death Valley. 

post #2 of 7

I love Ted Talk. I will check it out when I put my son down for a nap. 

 

ETA: watched and boy is he right on..will we ever get it right? Education that is.

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

 

ETA: watched and boy is he right on..will we ever get it right? Education that is.

 

What struck me when I first watched it is that he isn't really saying much new. It's stuff I've believed for a long time. But then I supported my dc when they both chose arts-focused high schools instead of STEM-focused programs.  I admit that he makes me feel better about their choices whenever I start to question if it was the right thing  redface.gif

 

I also noted that he doesn't completely dismiss or disparage the value of standardized testing. I admit that it surprised me a little. I wonder if he takes that position to maintain some credibility with the powers-that-be in American education who believe so devoutly in testing. 

post #4 of 7

While this may not be 'new' it still needs to be talked about because it's not being implemented.  He's right on.  Teaching should be about illustrating a huge background and asking provocative questions, not 'clerical work' as Ken Robinson puts it. 

post #5 of 7

I love that education reform is talked about. What I find extremely frustrating is that I am raising kids RIGHT NOW. And I want whats best for my kids RIGHT NOW. At the rate reform is happening we will be lucky if our great grandchildren have quality, creative public education options for all. 

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

 

What struck me when I first watched it is that he isn't really saying much new. It's stuff I've believed for a long time. But then I supported my dc when they both chose arts-focused high schools instead of STEM-focused programs.  I admit that he makes me feel better about their choices whenever I start to question if it was the right thing  redface.gif

 

I also noted that he doesn't completely dismiss or disparage the value of standardized testing. I admit that it surprised me a little. I wonder if he takes that position to maintain some credibility with the powers-that-be in American education who believe so devoutly in testing. 

Yes, It is something I know as a teacher ( and I think it is obvious right?)and not new but it was nice to see someone talk about it. I liked his sense of humor.  We want the best for our children(mine is 2 years old..lol) and it is really easy to doubt if you are doing the right things. I think the arts are as important as any area of education so right-on to you. My husband and I have started an"educational fund" for our son because we do not know exactly what it will look like but whatever he(my son) decides we want to be supportive.  blahblah.gif

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeteaa View Post

I love that education reform is talked about. What I find extremely frustrating is that I am raising kids RIGHT NOW. And I want whats best for my kids RIGHT NOW. At the rate reform is happening we will be lucky if our great grandchildren have quality, creative public education options for all. 

Yes, I agree to because educational institutions need a radical reform...I feel like we almost just need to start all over and think of why we want to educate children.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at School
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Recent Ken Robinson TED Talk