My lil man is getting to be to big for his 5 point car seat and I was wondering when I should switch him to a booster seat he's only 2 and is the size of a 3-4 year old in height I feel like he would sit in one better because in his 5 point hes always trying to climb out and I cant a just it to go any higher then it does. please help
Related Forum Threads
- What comes after a FF 65lb limit seat? Last post on 7/24/13 at 7:57pm in Family Safety
- Would you fly without a car seat? Last post on 1/24/14 at 7:19am in Family Safety
- Convertible carseat for an older Subaru? Last post on 9/8/13 at 9:02am in Family Safety
- Is it safe to reaface a child Last post on 7/19/13 at 12:20pm in Family Safety
- Talk to me about the new Clek Foonf convertible seat Last post on 2/27/13 at 6:37am in Family Safety
should i switch to a boster seat
I feel your pain! My nearly 3 old is 60 lbs and 40" tall - i switched him to a booster seat this past winter - we had a Brittax ....maybe itr was a Radian? it was supposed to go to 60 lbs but really fell short - after Hurricane Sandy destroyed it i bought a booster - cant remember offhand which one - i am not pleased with it. One thing about booster seats is that they dont all have clips to keep them in place. When driving without the baby - the seat is rolling around in the back seat - kinda weird. This one has the latch system - however they are not adjustable - so you latch the seat in place and it can still move all over the place. The car's seat belt must be threaded just so - or it wont 'catch' and i have seen the seat start to tip - even with the baby in it! it took us a LOONG while to get it right - so i would advise....before you make the switch......try one out!
Hi, I'm a CPST. 2- and 3yos definitely do not belong in belt-positioning booster seats. It is dangerous, unsafe, and illegal in most states (at least for 2yos).
In addition, a child who tries to climb out of a harnessed seat is demonstrating that he is not ready to be in charge of his own safety in the car, which is what happens when he is in a belt-positioning booster.
My boys are 5.5 and not particularly small...they are still harnessed (both in a Nautilus which is a 5pt that can turn into both a high back and low back booster) and were rearfacing (in different seats) until age 3.
I'm having a hard time picturing a 2 yr old that is too big to fit in a harnessed seat. Either you havent adjusted the straps properly or you need a different seat. If he's able to get out of the harness...what do you think he's going to do with a seatbelt?!
Is this the child you write about in your other posts who wont stay in his crib (but you're worried about him staying in a toddler bed) and who won't keep his clothes one? And who was only 21 months old back in January?? There is absolutely no way this child should be in a booster seat. I really hope you find solutions to keeping him in his seat, over on the safety board they may have ideas.
Maybe you can give some more details about your son and what seat you have and the parents here who are up on all the styles of seats can help you figure out how to keep your little one in his seat and safe.
My son is 8 - 62# and 52", and he is still in a 5 point harness. The Britax Frontier we have goes up to 85# and 57". He is on the bigger side for a 2nd grader and has a long torso, but the straps are still above his shoulders. Keep your child in a 5 point as long as you can. The Frontier looks like a booster, so we tell him it's booster, and he has no issues with being in a harness.
- › Wanting But Waiting 2014 6 minutes ago
- › 16 weeks pregnant and thinking of getting a young dog. Am I crazy? 25 minutes ago
- › Little Girls Growing Up- Whats to much and whats ok 45 minutes ago
- › Sodium Ascorbate 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Water birth in Michigan? 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › Article on America's Breast Fetish :-) 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › 4 yr old just dignosed with Celiac's--Can our 11 month old be GF... 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › Finally decided 2 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › Considering unschooling gifted/high needs child 2 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Do painful menstrual cramps = painful labor? 2 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Marcy Axness
- › Homeschooling with YouTube by SavvyHomeschool
- › Closing the Door On Childbearing by Melanie Mayo
- › A Journey Through Childhood with Seuss by Melanie Mayo
- › Belly Binding for Prenatal Comfort and... by Kristen Tea
- › Mothering Pregnancy Photo Contest 2014 Terms... by Cynthia Mosher