or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › June Pagan Family Circle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

June Pagan Family Circle

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 
Welcome Pagan Parents! The summer solstice approaches. Who's ready? Not me!

We've sung this song a lot in my home lately in anticipation:




and my favorite flowers bloom this time of year. I fell in love with them when I worked as a florist, but this poem makes me love them just a little more.

Peonies by Mary Oliver


This morning the green fists of the peonies are getting ready

   to break my heart

     as the sun rises,

        as the sun strokes them with his old, buttery fingers


and they open--

   pools of lace,

      white and pink--

       and all day the black ants climb over them,


boring their deep and mysterious holes

    into the curls,

      craving the sweet sap,

        taking it away


to their dark, underground cities--

   and all day

      under the shifty wind,

       as in a dance to the great wedding,


the flowers bend their bright bodies,

   and tip their fragrance to the air,

     and rise,

       their red stems holding


all that dampness and recklessness

    gladly and lightly,

      and there it is again--

        beauty the brave, the exemplary,


blazing open.

    Do you love this world?

      Do you cherish your humble and silky life?

       Do you adore the green grass, with its terror beneath?


Do you also hurry, half-dressed and barefoot, into the garden,

   and softly,

      and exclaiming of their dearness,

       fill your arms with the white and pink flowers,


with their honeyed heaviness, their lush trembling,

    their eagerness

      to be wild and perfect for a moment, before they are

        nothing, forever?

So, what are your Litha plans? Whose kids are done with school? What summer goodness have you planned?
Edited by revolting - 6/3/13 at 6:06pm
post #2 of 51

New thread-- I knew it was June thumb.gif Um, yeah.

 

We're moving in 13 days! I'm all busy with stuff, but there's very little left, here, right now. So it's about waiting, and living very minimally, and Be Here Now. I'm trying not to think of the future or anticipate anything, but it's hard.

 

I went to the Mother Grove Goddess Temple today-- a local group that I peripherally hang with-- well, I go to their rituals, and have helped, but I don't Belong, technically. Anyway I had to pick up a book and they have meditation on some Sunday mornings. Today was a meditation day. I had just dropped my son off at a friend's, and I was the only one in the room. Dark, dark room, lit with candles and lots of incense and 4 altars for the elements and 1 big one for Goddess...and as I was sitting there trying to breathe and not think of the future and Be, I started crying. Just...crying. Tears just flowing out of me. My face was leaking. And I don't know why. I am guessing it's overwhelm, and partially grief for leaving, and fear of what's ahead, but I think a lot of it maybe was just, I am so busy I do not allow myself to just Sit And Be. I don't know. It was weird. I'm overwhelmingly tired, today.

 

No plans for Midsummer. Trying to hook up with the Witches in my new home, so maybe I can find them this time!

post #3 of 51

We've had a very hot start to June. It's so bad that I handed a piece of paper to my son's father with info about an air conditioner that I found at Lowes.  I didn't ask him, I just handed him the paper. LOL.  Don't know if they'll actually have it in stock or if he can even lift it himself (it's a 10k btu) but we'll see.

 

I've been super emotional lately. Been bombarded with not good stuff.  And then yesterday, a 10 yr old boy drowned in our town's pond beach.  I had the police scanner on and it was awful.  They were searching for him (hoping he had just wandered off) but found him an hour later.

Seeing as my own son is 10, it just hit me hard.  I think it got to ds, too, but he's not saying much.  If it comes on tv, he walks out of the room and says that he just can't hear it.  I'm going to ask that his school psych checks in with him on Monday.

 

My son can't swim.  He's very uncoordinated (I guess a lot of spectrum kids can be.)  He's had three different swim teachers and still hasn't learned.  Will be trying to find someone who has experience teaching spectrum kids who are afraid of the water.

post #4 of 51
Yay June! Welcome welcome June!
post #5 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

We've had a very hot start to June. It's so bad that I handed a piece of paper to my son's father with info about an air conditioner that I found at Lowes.  I didn't ask him, I just handed him the paper. LOL.  Don't know if they'll actually have it in stock or if he can even lift it himself (it's a 10k btu) but we'll see.

 

I've been super emotional lately. Been bombarded with not good stuff.  And then yesterday, a 10 yr old boy drowned in our town's pond beach.  I had the police scanner on and it was awful.  They were searching for him (hoping he had just wandered off) but found him an hour later.

Seeing as my own son is 10, it just hit me hard.  I think it got to ds, too, but he's not saying much.  If it comes on tv, he walks out of the room and says that he just can't hear it.  I'm going to ask that his school psych checks in with him on Monday.

 

My son can't swim.  He's very uncoordinated (I guess a lot of spectrum kids can be.)  He's had three different swim teachers and still hasn't learned.  Will be trying to find someone who has experience teaching spectrum kids who are afraid of the water.

 

hug2.gif You'll find somebody. My son is a fish, but it took him a good long while to get there. Me, I grew up by a lake and was in the water all the time, but I failed the same swim lesson year after year after year. I can probably save myself if I had to, but I don't think I am a very strong swimmer.

I heard about that little boy greensad.gif Drowning is scary, but no reason to stay away from the water...did you say there were or were not lifeguards? Where did he wander off to? Yowsa. Those poor parents.

 

I hope your ex comes thru with the a/c. M has told me about the heat, my goodness! OTOH, here it is 65* and rainy and generally ew. 850 miles south of you, go figure. Yay for M's SIL though-- he actually did replace the A/C unit he stole from M last year. So M is sitting pretty in the non-heat, thank goodness. I will probably have to scrounge up THREE of them for my new place. Hope not, though. Maybe two, with fans strategically placed, will do it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View PostYay June! Welcome welcome June!

 

I dunno about that... I hate summer. I do want to find some Midsummery, Pagany things to do in my new home, though.

post #6 of 51

I'm going to a wedding on Midsummer! The couple specifically choose June 21st because its Midsummer, so they're going to have a fire pit with herbs to throw into as an offering to Mother Earth! I don't think its specifically a pagan wedding but they have pagan leanings so it'll be a wonderful way to celebrate!

post #7 of 51
Thread Starter 

Maia - Less that two weeks. Wow! I can't believe there's someone who hates summer. I love love love summer, and this year even more with my big kid home with me!

DoK - I envy you. We've had an unseasonably cool June thus far. Our summer definitely focuses around teaching the kids to swim. They have daily swim lessons for two months. With a pond behind our home, I really worry about drowning, especially with the distraction of a new baby coming.

amlikam - How is that babymoon going?

Kay - That sounds really cool! My brother gets married in less than two weeks, and both kids are in the wedding. yikes2.gif I plan to go to PSG this year, and even though I won't leave until after the Solstice, it's sort of how I plan to celebrate the Sabbat. I oscillate between nervousness and excitement, especially since I depend on my super flaky in-laws who hate me for childcare on the Friday I drive there.

post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostMaia - Less that two weeks. Wow! I can't believe there's someone who hates summer. I love love love summer, and this year even more with my big kid home with me!

DoK - I envy you. We've had an unseasonably cool June thus far. Our summer definitely focuses around teaching the kids to swim. They have daily swim lessons for two months. With a pond behind our home, I really worry about drowning, especially with the distraction of a new baby coming.

amlikam - How is that babymoon going?

Kay - That sounds really cool! My brother gets married in less than two weeks, and both kids are in the wedding. yikes2.gif I plan to go to PSG this year, and even though I won't leave until after the Solstice, it's sort of how I plan to celebrate the Sabbat. I oscillate between nervousness and excitement, especially since I depend on my super flaky in-laws who hate me for childcare on the Friday I drive there.

 

I can't believe so many people LOVE summer, to the exclusion of the other seasons! My mother would have it 80* and sunny every.single.day. That would drive me batshit. I don't mind sun, but I LOATHE heat, and I like variety. I run hot, so a good cool day is nice for me. 75* tops is about my daytime limit.

 

You're going to PSG? Dang...I used to go. I loved it. I swore I would never not go...oh well, things change. I hope you have a grand time!

 

Yeah, it's less than 2 weeks now. Yikes. Tomorrow we go to visit my mom in VaBeach and then back here for ds's summer camp, then off we go! *nervous*

post #9 of 51
I adore all the seasons which is why I love living in mass. All of them get me so excited. :-)
post #10 of 51
Babymoon is sweet. Baby has jaundice but otherwise it is so nice to be home with him and DH who is unemployed currently.
post #11 of 51

We are finally out of the hotel in three days! Only three more days! I'm so ready to be in our house with our yard. Luckily, its supposed to be 80* here tomorrow so we'll be out of the hotel all day!

post #12 of 51
That is super exciting!!!!!
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

I adore all the seasons which is why I love living in mass. All of them get me so excited. :-)

 

Oh, goodie, really? There used to be 4 seasons here, back in '03 when we first moved here. Now it's like....deep fall (never gets quite cold enough to call it "winter", and no snow anymore), and summer. Gah.

Hey, maybe we can meet up sometime when we get up there smile.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

We are finally out of the hotel in three days! Only three more days! I'm so ready to be in our house with our yard. Luckily, its supposed to be 80* here tomorrow so we'll be out of the hotel all day!

 

Yay you! We're staying in a motel tonight. DS is super excited about that. I think they have a pool. I wish they had a hot tub!

post #14 of 51

Hi Everyone! I am just jumping in to say hi! We have been busy around the homestead planting the garden and doing kitchen renovations. I have no real plans for Midsummer yet besides having a bonfire and grilling something outside - provided that we have a day free from rain, which has been rare these past 3 weeks.

 

Do others garden? This year we are doing a smaller garden in that I usually plant so I have things to preserve and freeze but harvest time here is end of August and September and that is whe the baby is due. So we are just doing a fresh garden this year - things to eat as they come up, but nothing to save.

post #15 of 51
Thread Starter 

Maia - I don't love it to the exclusion of other seasons, but I definitely favor it. I run cold, and I don't like the feel of too many layers. I love something about every season. I just love summer the most.

 

amlikam - I hope the jaundice resolves quickly. Is your daughter at home right now?

 

Thistlemoon - Welcome! I wish I gardened more extensively. We just moved onto this property last autumn. It's a heavily wooded lot that has lots of deer and the small area that gets half-day sun floods pretty regularly. I had pretty ambitious plans in the spring, but very little of it survived even thus far. That, and building a chicken coop and run ate way more of my time than I expected, so I lack the time to build fencing and raised beds. Maybe if I feel super ambitious next spring, we'll do this, but with expecting my third kid this fall, too, I don't have super high hopes that much of a garden will happen in the next few years, and I think given where I live, I don't know if a large garden will ever happen (though I've loved raising chickens so far, and already have started to think about bees and rabbits...)

post #16 of 51

Revolting -  We raise chickens too (and Shetland sheep) and I hear you, that project can really eat up a lot of time in the beginning. What breeds do you have?

post #17 of 51

Hi loves!!! joy.gif

 

I'm back from our trip to Chicago!  It was fabulous.  Mostly, we were going so I could honor my friend in her last month of pregnancy.  I wanted to see her and give her love and that special friend love confidence energy you can only get from certain people before you give birth to your first baby.  You know what I am talking about?  She looks lovely, is nervous as all get out.  It was also a good time to soak in her love for me.  I don't have a lot of friends like her around.  We also got to see DH's college roommate.  He and his wife have a one month old.  Baby love all around!!

 

I have a heavy heart today, though.  I don't have friends like her around me here.  I do have my family and lovely folks here but...you know those people who are "kindred spirits" that you probably have been hanging out with for lifetimes...that are once in a lifetime?  She's one of those and I am sad that no one has figured out how we can teleport to eachother.  I wish I was better in dealing with the time/space continuum.  hahaha.  

 

Solstice/Litha is my FAVORITE!!  I will lay in the grass and root myself into the ground.  Z and I will make some kind of sun catcher to hang in our windows.  We will leave a plate of honey milk for the fairies.  We will have a big feast and thank the Universe for getting us back to summer time.

 

I love summer in Upstate NY.  It reaches sweltering for only a couple of weeks and the rest of the time is perfection for me - warm, breezy...the best time to live here, if you ask me. 

 

revolting:  I love the poem you put up.  The heartbreak of the peonies, of the beauty that isn't permanent... gah. I relate.  

 

Maia: i honor your quiet moment in the temple.  sounds cleansing and like you needed it!

 

DoK:  A/C!  I hope you get it!  I hope a swim teacher with experience with children like your son comes your way!!  Will keep my fingers crossed for you both.  

 

amlikam!  I didn't get to say a big congrats to you on the birth of your baby!!! hooray!! Welcome to the world, little one!!!  love.gif  How is the jaundice?  Z was jaundiced.  

 

Kay:  how is the move for you?  did you decide on a way to clear the energy from the place?  

 

Welcome, Thistlemoon!!  wave.gif I am a gardener but have hardly anything planted right now as this spring has been busy, busy, busy!  I am planning to get everything in by Sunday!  Or else!  RIght now the broccoli and the peas are doing SPECTACULARLY!!  I know I'm not *actually* behind this year...it just feels like that since last year was so, so warm here!!  I freeze like a mad woman.  No canning for me.  I've tried but it's not my thing.  

 

Is this baby your first?  When are you due?  How exciting!   

 

 

Much love to all of you sweet mamas!! 

post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistlemoon View PostDo others garden? This year we are doing a smaller garden in that I usually plant so I have things to preserve and freeze but harvest time here is end of August and September and that is whe the baby is due. So we are just doing a fresh garden this year - things to eat as they come up, but nothing to save.

 

Hi, Thistlemoon! I am a poor, poor gardener, sorry to say greensad.gif I'm one who WANTS to garden, I put things in the ground, I'm happy when they sprout but am at a loss when they die or get eaten or whatever. I just let Nature do its thing and I feel helpless to help it along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostMaia - I don't love it to the exclusion of other seasons, but I definitely favor it. I run cold, and I don't like the feel of too many layers. I love something about every season. I just love summer the most.

 

I guess most people I know love summer and hate all the other seasons. I don't actually hate summer-- I just like all four seasons and get all weird when the people I know are all "Thank God it's summer" as if all the other seasons s*ck or something. I'm thinking, what's wrong with the other three seasons?

I don't like layers, either. But I think it's more of I've been a fat person (or perceived myself as fat, even when I wasn't) so long that I hate bulky clothing-- makes me feel more fat.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostI have a heavy heart today, though.  I don't have friends like her around me here.  I do have my family and lovely folks here but...you know those people who are "kindred spirits" that you probably have been hanging out with for lifetimes...that are once in a lifetime?  She's one of those and I am sad that no one has figured out how we can teleport to eachother.  I wish I was better in dealing with the time/space continuum.  hahaha.  

 

Solstice/Litha is my FAVORITE!!  I will lay in the grass and root myself into the ground.  Z and I will make some kind of sun catcher to hang in our windows.  We will leave a plate of honey milk for the fairies.  We will have a big feast and thank the Universe for getting us back to summer time.

 

I love summer in Upstate NY.  It reaches sweltering for only a couple of weeks and the rest of the time is perfection for me - warm, breezy...the best time to live here, if you ask me. 

 

Maia: i honor your quiet moment in the temple.  sounds cleansing and like you needed it!

 

My cousin and I are like that. We're the only two in the whole extended family that we both think are sane lol.gif Which is funny, but kind of isn't. There's a lot of true craziness in our family and there's a lot of nastiness, too, for her. Have you tried Skype? As you know I have been long distance with M for over three years-- Skype has literally been our lifesaver at times.

I am SO stealing your Litha ideas! We'll be in the city now, with very little green space, and I'm going to have to figure out how to be an urban Pagan, now. Suncatchers are a wonderful idea. How are you making them? Crayons?

 

Where in NY are you? I'm sure I asked before. I'll be closer to you now, a bit! I don't know if you know/remember Wombatclay, but she's up there, too.

 

Thank you. It WAS cleansing, though it still kind of baffles me a bit! I guess I just needed to be still. I am so often NOT still.

 

At my mom's right now. She's making us PRIME RIB for dinner! Yee-ha! yummy.gif
 

post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

 

hug2.gif You'll find somebody. My son is a fish, but it took him a good long while to get there. Me, I grew up by a lake and was in the water all the time, but I failed the same swim lesson year after year after year. I can probably save myself if I had to, but I don't think I am a very strong swimmer.

I heard about that little boy greensad.gif Drowning is scary, but no reason to stay away from the water...did you say there were or were not lifeguards? Where did he wander off to? Yowsa. Those poor parents.

 

I hope your ex comes thru with the a/c. M has told me about the heat, my goodness! OTOH, here it is 65* and rainy and generally ew. 850 miles south of you, go figure. Yay for M's SIL though-- he actually did replace the A/C unit he stole from M last year. So M is sitting pretty in the non-heat, thank goodness. I will probably have to scrounge up THREE of them for my new place. Hope not, though. Maybe two, with fans strategically placed, will do it.

 

 

I dunno about that... I hate summer. I do want to find some Midsummery, Pagany things to do in my new home, though.

 

Yes, there were lifeguards. He wandered off to the end of the beach (very tiny beach, though).  The boy's father is the one who took him to the beach. It seems that the father wasn't paying attention.  I think the boy was on the spectrum but I'm not positive (I only think it because his parents have suggested donations to a therapeutic horseback riding farm in lieu of flowers.)

I saw pics of the boy.  He looks a lot like my son.  It's freaky.

 

Oh, I got the a/c.  winky.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

 75* tops is about my daytime limit.

 

 

Me too!!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

DoK:  A/C!  I hope you get it!  I hope a swim teacher with experience with children like your son comes your way!!  Will keep my fingers crossed for you both.  

 

Got it!  And the next day the weather went back to normal.  LOL.  That's ok, we'll have many summer days that it will be needed.

post #20 of 51
Thread Starter 

Thistle: How much land do you have? I'm jealous! We don't have the room for larger livestock. We have a buckeye, two rhode island reds, an easter egger, and silver spangled hamburg, so we have a very small flock. We plan to max out at between 8-10 chickens due to room constraints and just how many eggs I think our family will use.

 

Vy: Is your mama friend feel connected to more experienced mamas in her area? IDK if she's in the city proper or how far out, but we just moved from the city and there are some groups with amazing women in the city! I can't believe you prefer freezing over canning...canning does such a better job of preserving taste, imho. I definitely enjoy it, though I don't think I'll do much if any this year.

 

Okay, I definitely live near a lot more green space than when I lived in the city, but most of the suburbs have less green space than when I lived in the city. I don't know how much you plan to stay with that apartment after you move, but I know when we lived in the city, good green space within walking distance was a requirement for wherever we moved. Prime rib sounds wonderful. We have no red meat in the house right now, but I have a fierce craving for it.

 

We plan to go camping this weekend. I hope the weather cooperates more than forecasted!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Spirituality
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › June Pagan Family Circle