Related Forum Threads
- Kitten Food &Poo? Last post on 7/26/13 at 1:34pm in Pets
- dog is itchy and sneezy after eating Last post on Yesterday at 5:48 am in Pets
- Cat peeing on bed Last post on 2/21/14 at 1:55am in Pets
- Is my dog going crazy? Last post on 3/3/14 at 12:48am in Pets
- "co-sleeping" with puppy at night Last post on 1/21/14 at 7:04am in Pets
How long on puppy food?
I kept my dog on puppy food for about 2 years.
She always ate grain-free, always received human-grade supplements (such as hard-boiled egg), and for about 8 years in early adulthood ate BARF (raw meaty bones and raw food).
She's almost 20 years old now and seems to be about 12 years old in her energy, appearance, and alertness. No cataracts. No health problems whatsoever. Perfect (selective!) hearing.
My dog is a terrier. With your larger breed, I would give puppy food until 16-18 months. (Edit: larger breeds don't have the long lifespan of terriers and could become overweight on puppy food into adulthood - unless you fed them less).
The fats and proteins in puppy food build the dog's skeleton, connective tissue, and organs. It is your investment in the future health and longevity of your dog. Now is the time to ensure that you don't face a future of chronic illness and degeneration, as well as medical bills and pain and suffering for you and your pet.
Maybe at about 12 months you can start giving one third adult food mixed with the puppy food.
Six months is way too young to switch to adult food. In particular, boxers need to have excellent skeletons especially for facial and spinal/pelvic bone development.
Edited by PumaBearclan - 6/12/13 at 12:47pm
- › What about baby swings for newborns? any suggestions...also A&D... 1 minute ago
- › Need Book series ideas 7 minutes ago
- › anyone conceive easily at 43? 10 minutes ago
- › The BEST baby product you own? 11 minutes ago
- › Baby NAMES!!! 14 minutes ago
- › 7 going on 8DPO 16 minutes ago
- › Anyone else feeling sick? 19 minutes ago
- › Confessions 29 minutes ago
- › health food store near Milford, PA? 29 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Cravings 30 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Marcy Axness
- › Homeschooling with YouTube by SavvyHomeschool
- › Closing the Door On Childbearing by Melanie Mayo
- › A Journey Through Childhood with Seuss by Melanie Mayo
- › Belly Binding for Prenatal Comfort and... by Kristen Tea
- › Mothering Pregnancy Photo Contest 2014 Terms... by Cynthia Mosher