Related Forum Threads
- Kitten Food &Poo? Last post on 7/26/13 at 1:34pm in Pets
- Getting urine smell out of carpet Last post on 12/14/13 at 6:56pm in Pets
- do you vaccinate your dogs? Last post on 12/15/13 at 3:19pm in Pets
- my adult male cat won't use litter box anymore. At all. Last post on 12/15/13 at 2:54pm in Pets
- Entertaining a New Puppy? Last post on 12/15/13 at 2:21pm in Pets
How long on puppy food?
I kept my dog on puppy food for about 2 years.
She always ate grain-free, always received human-grade supplements (such as hard-boiled egg), and for about 8 years in early adulthood ate BARF (raw meaty bones and raw food).
She's almost 20 years old now and seems to be about 12 years old in her energy, appearance, and alertness. No cataracts. No health problems whatsoever. Perfect (selective!) hearing.
My dog is a terrier. With your larger breed, I would give puppy food until 16-18 months. (Edit: larger breeds don't have the long lifespan of terriers and could become overweight on puppy food into adulthood - unless you fed them less).
The fats and proteins in puppy food build the dog's skeleton, connective tissue, and organs. It is your investment in the future health and longevity of your dog. Now is the time to ensure that you don't face a future of chronic illness and degeneration, as well as medical bills and pain and suffering for you and your pet.
Maybe at about 12 months you can start giving one third adult food mixed with the puppy food.
Six months is way too young to switch to adult food. In particular, boxers need to have excellent skeletons especially for facial and spinal/pelvic bone development.
Edited by PumaBearclan - 6/12/13 at 12:47pm
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 54 seconds ago
- › Enter the Hyland's Holiday Challenge! 58 seconds ago
- › Can father legally prevent mother from moving to another state? 3 minutes ago
- › Enter the BabyKicks and The Mindful Home Giveaway! 3 minutes ago
- › Spare change (or more) for Holiday Helper! 3 minutes ago
- › Signs of Labor 6 minutes ago
- › December Chat 8 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 10 minutes ago
- › Relationship Help? How to maintain one when you are a full-time... 11 minutes ago
- › Why are we so worried about vax vs non-vax? 11 minutes ago
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Polar Express by Melanie Mayo
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Five Free, Festive Ways to Have Fun at Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Cosleeping in a Coca-Cola Commercial by Brian Leaf
- › Terms and Conditions: BabyKicks and The... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should You Care About the Photo of Gisele... by Monica S
- › Christmas Through Their Eyes by AmandaK
- › 6 Mistakes People Make When a Friend's... by momofnatasha
- › Hyland's Holiday Challenge Mothering... by JenniO11
- › Lead in Christmas Lights, Toxic Decorations... by Amy Serotkin
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh