I don't have a dishwasher and I go back and forth. I've read/heard that dishwashing is more environmentally friendly, but then again, you'd think hand-washing would be? What do you think?
- topicReduce Reuse Recycletagged by Momsteader, 6/17/13
Related Forum Threads
- What can I use for takeaway pizza instead of the cardboard box? Last post on 10/10/13 at 12:26am in Reuse & Recycle
- children grown -want to pass children's furniture to family member w/small children. Last post on 9/25/13 at 10:05am in Reuse & Recycle
- Postpartum Mommy Cloths? Help Please Last post on 9/6/13 at 1:47am in Reuse & Recycle
- Diaper wipes Last post on 9/25/13 at 10:01pm in Reuse & Recycle
- Torn about reusing vs donating Last post on 3/19/13 at 7:22am in Reuse & Recycle
Which is more enviro-friendly--hand washing or dishwasher?
Hmm....THis is a good question. I think it might depend on whether you leave the water running when you wash. If you have a divided sink and only use one sinkful of wash water and then can rinse in the other sink, I would think handwashing would be more ecofriendly. But I'm not sure. Someone must have stats on this?
i have v. v. v. rarely seen anyone hand wash dishes with a conservative use of water.
in fact i very often see the overuse of water for hand washing dishes.
it can be done by hand that is. v. easily possible coz even if you dont have a divider sink you can use a plastic tub.
the other thing is the dishwasher is eco friendly if you have learnt how to correctly load it (surprising how few people actually know that) and use it to its maximum capacity instead of partially full.
It depends how you compare the two I think. An eco-friendly dishwasher might use less water, but how many more resources were required just to make the dishwasher itself? And since every dishwasher I have ever used has been worthless at getting food off of dishes, I've always had to pre-wash them before using the dishwasher, and that would bump up the water usage a lot if it was included in the calculation.
I'm sure I use less water/energy/resources washing by hand than a dishwasher. Supposedly dishwashers save time, though I can hardly imagine how because the entire process requires handling the dishes repeatedly and the wash cycles themselves take like an hour to wash dishes that would take me 10 minutes. When I am hand washing, particularly dishes that aren't very dirty, I can rinse them off as soon as I take them to the sink then just pop them into the rack to dry.
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 1 minute ago
- › Diva Cup - I must be doing something wrong. 4 minutes ago
- › My 4 year old can not draw anything 6 minutes ago
- › Facebook group - come join us! 9 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant & Parenting October, November & December 2013! 9 minutes ago
- › Cycle troubles. 10 minutes ago
- › Dingo Bells, Dingo Bells, Dingo all the Way!!!! 16 minutes ago
- › 35+ Mamas 18 minutes ago
- › What is my baby trying to tell me?! 20 minutes ago
- › Need a little reassurance...and honest thoughts! 26 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo