Hi everyone. I really need some feedback/ideas/suggestions as to what to do in the situation I have found myself in. This is going to be long and wordy, so please bear with me. I just want to explain what exactly is going on.
This is my second pregnancy. My first ended in a natural miscarriage at 12.5 weeks. I am 36 and have some (well-controlled with meds) autoimmune issues. My pregnancy has been pretty good until now...well, physically, I am fine, but emotionally/mentally I am a mess. I am 35.5 weeks along and have had no major problems. I was seeing a midwife, but at 33 weeks, I found out that I am having di/di twins. I was planning a homebirth, barring complications. My twins are both breech at this point. I was a bit nervous about the idea of a breech twin birth, but I was proceeding on the assumption that they might turn before the birth.
I was getting care from my family doc. He ran some blood tests, and we saw that my liver enzymes were slightly elevated and that my red blood cell count was a bit low. He freaked out and referred me to a high-risk clinic. My husband freaked out and pushed me to go to said clinic. I was concerned also (as was my midwife), so I elected to go to an appointment there. What an absolute disaster!
The doc at the high-risk clinic recommended that I induce my twins at 38 weeks. I asked her why in the name of all that is good would you do that? If they and mom are doing well, what kind of a reason would there be? Her answer was that there is a 5% risk of at least one twin dying if we wait any longer. On my ultrasound yesterday, we saw that the twins are roughly the same size, with no discrepancies between them, and they seem large enough for date. I am feeling fine and having no complications. I can see no reason why one twin would be doomed because I went over 38 weeks, if there were no complications for the babies or me.
My midwife told me today that one should NEVER induce twins early (barring compelling medical reasons) due to the fact that they would be smaller and more likely to have pulmonary problems. My husband no longer wants to do a home delivery, and I am too worn out to fight with him about the issue. We are also in the midst of doing last-minute remodeling before the babies arrive, which is only adding to my stress. I am just heartbroken at the thought of losing my homebirth. I have wanted to do one for years and years, and my husband knows that. I am trying so hard to keep going and keep my babies in as long as possible, and everyone acts like I am doing the wrong thing, that I am trying to hurt them. I love these kids and want the very best, which is why I am on here. I want to know, is there anyone out there in SE Michigan who has a GOOD twin hospital birth experience to share? Even a good C-section story? I may have to have one as both kids are breech and I can't find a hospital that is willing to do a double breech vaginal birth. I feel just desperate here. Please, if you have any information that might help me, let me know. Thank you in advance.