or Connect
Mothering › Groups › September 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › names again :)

names again :) - Page 10

post #181 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafina33 View Post

I wish I could know in advance more about this little girl's personality, when thinking up an appropriate name!!! 

Wow this is just what I was thinking. I had a dream we named her Samantha and DH just said "NO" when I told him this. *sigh* I wish her personality could help me! Naming people is SO HARD.

Wish I could find "the one" name that I like the best. Instead of going with the pop culture/movies/books thing I could go with names of queens. Isabella was the badass queen in Spain who got Coloumbus to the new world to rape and pillage, right? And I'm not sure of the actual story but it worked for us at the time we named DD1.

Can any of you ladies help me brainstorm this one? We could still concider Adora though she is a princess. I love Elizabeth but the name is just too old school for me. I don't really know of any other queens in general except for Cersie from Game of Thrones. And we won't be going there. lol.gif
post #182 of 245
Tilly, you know, I think kids "grow into" their names. Like my DD is so, so well suited to hers, despite the fact that we decided it months before she was born. I cannot imagine another name that fits her so well.
If you like Adora (which is just smashing, IMNSHO), then go for it.
post #183 of 245

I still like Adora, too. If you did go with Elizabeth, you could call her Eliza for a nn...that would kind of break with the "old school" feeling.

 

I think we may have settled on a name, but I'm going to stew on it a while longer before telling anyone so we don't go through the whole shenanigans of being set on a name and everyone getting attached to it, then changing it again.

 

I also agree, babies tend to grow into their names.  When my son was born, I was like, very meh about naming him George-now I can't imagine him with any other name.  

post #184 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

Wish I could find "the one" name that I like the best. Instead of going with the pop culture/movies/books thing I could go with names of queens. Isabella was the badass queen in Spain who got Coloumbus to the new world to rape and pillage, right? And I'm not sure of the actual story but it worked for us at the time we named DD1.

Can any of you ladies help me brainstorm this one? We could still concider Adora though she is a princess. I love Elizabeth but the name is just too old school for me. I don't really know of any other queens in general except for Cersie from Game of Thrones. And we won't be going there. lol.gif

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_queens_regnant

beware, that is probably the longest list i've ever seen on Wikipedia!! 

 

the legendary queen Calafia apparently inspired the state name California. i'm not sure if it would work as a name for a real person, though? 

 

i also once met a girl named Queen. it fit her perfectly. 

 

if you can't find any names you like in that list, you could still go for something like names with "regal" meanings.. any reasons you're not 100% on board with Adora? did you have any other mn contenders besides Elizabeth? i like freckledmama's suggestion, you could go for a more modern version of Elizabeth.. how about Adora Elise? 

post #185 of 245

Queen names....

 

Victoria

Beatrix / Beatrice

Sophia

Cleopatra

Catherine

 

From the wikipedia entry I really like Aissa, Amina, Sibylla, Zenobia, Ada, Blanche, Asa, Constance, Boudica

post #186 of 245
Not 100% on Adora and don't even know why really. It is pretty. It's Greek with the most lovely meaning. Goes with our last name. But I feel like it doesn't stand on its own like Isabella does. Are we silly for naming her after a cartoon character? At least with Isabella I can say otherwise. It's a classic name.

Also because of the kids' character, Dora is not a preferred nickname either.

I love Catherine omg. DH doesn't ooooooof course. I even am considering Elizabeth and love all the nn-- like Liz, Lizzy, Eliza.

Lillian is for sure going to be the middle. Luckily LOTS of names seem to flow with it. I just want a list so if I change my mind last minute-- I'll have something to pull from.

Oooh freckledmama I'm dying to know what you've chosen. I'm even starting to love Sofia. It goes well with Isabella and is a queen's name!!!
post #187 of 245
I just saw this and had a good giggle. I definitely know some kids with these names!
http://www.fitpregnancy.com/baby/baby-names/hipster-baby-names
post #188 of 245

man this naming business is getting on my nerves! i thought we had it all figured out months ago. but i've been having second thoughts for a little bit now.. and of course, once i put it out there, the feelings got more validated and now i feel like "we can't POSSIBLY go with the name we picked"! baby's initials (first and MNs only) would be SIC and whatever i was thinking before, now i'm thinking other kids will just make fun of him and call him a sicko or something. (which is stupid of me to think, because kids don't really notice what initials spell, i'm sure!)

 

options: 

(1) go with the name we discussed and agreed on

(2) go instead with: Sage, my maiden name, DF's mom's maiden name - might sound too feminine though

(3) Sage, name of Croatian mountain or river or whatever, DF's mom's maiden name - problem is, i can't find anything that sounds good in English.. well, i found one mountain so far, but i have absolutely no connection to that mountain, never seen it etc.. so it would be weird to name my son after that thing!

(4) send the whole heritage thing to hell and go instead with another name we love and that has been on our list as a contender for the first name - problem is, there aren't any, really! and it would feel like a loss to give up my one place to pass on a part of "my" family. sigh.

 

i'm kind of hoping to find another way of honoring my heritage, but in a way that doesn't feel like i'm forcing it (and it totally feels like that right now). or maybe to find another name i can connect with on a level that it doesn't matter that it's not reflecting any heritage as long as it reflects something about this baby's mother??.. hmmmmmmmmmmm argh but better to have these thoughts now than after we get the birth certificate!

post #189 of 245
FWIW, the only Sage I know in real life is a teenaged boy. smile.gif
post #190 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreckledmama View Post

FWIW, the only Sage I know in real life is a teenaged boy. smile.gif

 

sorry, i think i wasn't being too clear.. P brain.. Sage will be the first name, that's decided - we love the name. :) i'm just wondering about the middle names now. we want two middle names, one was supposed to be from my family and one from DF's family.. but i don't seem to like my choice from my family anymore. if i instead give the baby my maiden name as a first mn, it might make the whole name sound too feminine since my last name ends on -ina. 

post #191 of 245
Nope. It's me. Now that I'm reading it again, I totally understand what you were saying. smile.gif
post #192 of 245
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vc2013 View Post

man this naming business is getting on my nerves! i thought we had it all figured out months ago. but i've been having second thoughts for a little bit now.. and of course, once i put it out there, the feelings got more validated and now i feel like "we can't POSSIBLY go with the name we picked"! baby's initials (first and MNs only) would be SIC and whatever i was thinking before, now i'm thinking other kids will just make fun of him and call him a sicko or something. (which is stupid of me to think, because kids don't really notice what initials spell, i'm sure!)

options: 
(1) go with the name we discussed and agreed on
(2) go instead with: Sage, my maiden name, DF's mom's maiden name - might sound too feminine though
(3) Sage, name of Croatian mountain or river or whatever, DF's mom's maiden name - problem is, i can't find anything that sounds good in English.. well, i found one mountain so far, but i have absolutely no connection to that mountain, never seen it etc.. so it would be weird to name my son after that thing!
(4) send the whole heritage thing to hell and go instead with another name we love and that has been on our list as a contender for the first name - problem is, there aren't any, really! and it would feel like a loss to give up my one place to pass on a part of "my" family. sigh.

i'm kind of hoping to find another way of honoring my heritage, but in a way that doesn't feel like i'm forcing it (and it totally feels like that right now). or maybe to find another name i can connect with on a level that it doesn't matter that it's not reflecting any heritage as long as it reflects something about this baby's mother??.. hmmmmmmmmmmm argh but better to have these thoughts now than after we get the birth certificate!


I still don't see the issue with the first three initials being SIC- unless your last name starts with a K!  If your last name were C and the initials in total would be SIC, maybe I'd seriously consider another mn or alter the spelling to the alternative which, I think, started with an E?  But in this case, having 2 mns obscures the initials somewhat, and the last name's initial will carry more weight than either of the mn's.  I'd vote for option #1- unless you're getting excited about starting the search process over again smile.gif

I kinda wish we hadn't come up with a name so far in advance.  I still vacillate some between Adrian and Ari William, but I think we're most likely going with Adrian because it seems to have stuck.  I still worry a little that with J it's too much of a matched pair- too similar. I guess that's my only concern at this point, and the thing that keeps Ari William in the running smile.gif
Edited by Jennyanydots - 9/30/13 at 4:12pm
post #193 of 245
I think my baby's going to end up with the initials BETA. We're not overly concerned.
post #194 of 245
Jenny:
We have a similar worry about a name we have been kicking around. That the endings are too similar. You have Julian and are considering Adrian.
I have a daughter named Serefina and I am loving a name that is similarly long and end with "Lina" which sounds a lot like "fina" .

Not sure how I feel about the sort of rhyming feel the two names have. Also my first daughters name is Lola, which is short so I don't want her name to stand out as the odd one. Also we don't know if we are having a boy or a girl so it makes it much more difficult.
post #195 of 245
Thread Starter 
Letnia- yeah, I'm pretty sure we're going with Adrian even though it's similar, but I'm not totally comfortable with the matchy sound.

Does the -Lina name have the same number of syllables, emphasis on same syllable, etc? Does Serafina go by a nickname?
post #196 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

Letnia- yeah, I'm pretty sure we're going with Adrian even though it's similar, but I'm not totally comfortable with the matchy sound.

Does the -Lina name have the same number of syllables, emphasis on same syllable, etc? Does Serafina go by a nickname?

I really do like the name Adrian. It will sound nice with your older child's name. The hard part will come if you decide to have another child. Since you sort of started a name tradition with this pairing.

Serefina goes by Seri ( pronounced Seh-ree) but not all the time. The new baby name has 5 syllables so a nickname should be something we consider since it is a long name. We were thinking Lina or Nina. But then the problem is my first daughters name is Lola! So Lina seems out.
I think we still might need to think on this one a bit more lol
post #197 of 245

Vc; I love the name Sage, lovely choice.

post #198 of 245
I love the name Sage too but since we are going with a first name that starts with A and our last name begins with S. All middle names that begin with S are out...
post #199 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

I still don't see the issue with the first three initials being SIC- unless your last name starts with a K!  If your last name were C and the initials in total would be SIC, maybe I'd seriously consider another mn or alter the spelling to the alternative which, I think, started with an E?  But in this case, having 2 mns obscures the initials somewhat, and the last name's initial will carry more weight than either of the mn's.  I'd vote for option #1- unless you're getting excited about starting the search process over again :)

 

I kinda wish we hadn't come up with a name so far in advance.  I still vacillate some between Adrian Rowe and Ari William, but I think we're most likely going with Adrian because it seems to have stuck.  I still worry a little that with Julian it's too much of a matched pair- too similar. I guess that's my only concern at this point, and the thing that keeps Ari William in the running :)

 

Jenny, i am still thinking back and forth between spelling the first mn with an I vs. E (leaning towards I still, though, for the family name). 

 

i'm not sure if i'm having a valid point in my second thoughts. basically, i'm feeling weird about the first mn now because it would be for my maternal grandfathers, NONE OF WHOM I KNEW. that's the weird thing and not anything that has to do with the name in itself. but i've been wanting to pass on a name from my family, not least because they are on the other side of the globe and i think heritage is important. but then the whole thought backfired in my head because if / when my son asks me one day "Why did you name me xyz?", all i could say would be "it's the name of your maternal grandfathers". if he then asks "what were they like?", i'd have NOTHING. 

make sense? no? 

 

then i thought, well, how about we go with Sage, put the 2nd mn in the 1st mn position, and give the kid my "maiden" name and DF's last name. DF and i aren't married yet and so it would make sense in a way, too. but DF wasn't too excited about that idea - first off, because Sage and the 2nd mn clash sound-wise (although i am over that at this point), second off, because he thinks giving the kid two last names "because we aren't married yet" is just so conventional he'd rather save my last name for another child.

i'm not sure what i think about it.

 

the third thing i'm thinking about is whether to replace what was supposed to be a name from my family, and venture out to find a Croatian place / landscape name that i like and that works as a name with a viable English pronouncation. i've found a small handfull so far. and the problem with that again is, i have no personal connection to any of these places. it's not like they're significant to our family, i'd say to my son, "oh, it's a mountain in Croatia. - no, i haven't seen it." or "yes, it's a coastal town in South Croatia. - no, we're from the East inlands." you know? 

 

maybe i want too many things from that name. i'm glad it was so easy for us to decide for the first name!! but i feel like i'm supposed to pass on something meaningful, essential, important in a way in the form of the 1st mn and obviously, with those expectations in mind, it's easy to fail. 

 

does anyone have any input on the general question? if you were considering a family name without having any connection to the namebearers or knowing anything about them, vs. going with a place name (/ mountain, river, island, whatever) to connect the kid to the country itself.. without having been to any of these places.. what do you think would you go for? i guess having an actual connection with a place is less important than having a connection to an ancestor whose name you are considering, many people pick place names because they sound nice, not necessarily because the place is meaningful to them. on the other hand, i hear people rejecting family names because of character qualities the namebearer has / had.

i also hear that the number one reason for naming regret is apparently if you go for a family / honor name. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beep View Post

I think my baby's going to end up with the initials BETA. We're not overly concerned.

 

i love it! i think BETA actually sounds kind of artsy. aside from that, i'd love to know what the E stands for ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by letniaLynne View Post

Jenny:
We have a similar worry about a name we have been kicking around. That the endings are too similar. You have Julian and are considering Adrian.
I have a daughter named Serefina and I am loving a name that is similarly long and end with "Lina" which sounds a lot like "fina" .

Not sure how I feel about the sort of rhyming feel the two names have. Also my first daughters name is Lola, which is short so I don't want her name to stand out as the odd one. Also we don't know if we are having a boy or a girl so it makes it much more difficult.

 

re Julian and Adrian, Serefina and a similarly long name ending in -lina: 

 

i am on the fence about this too. i think Julian and Adrian are totally fine together. possibly because -ian is a common ending in boy names and not too obviously matching, but creating rather a nice tie-in. 

-ina in girl names, while being common endings as well, on the other hand, strikes me as a bit too rhymey. maybe it's because my last name ends on -ina - my first name ends on -a, AND i think i and a are vowels that stand out.. it sounds like the name goes up and down when you say it out loud, which makes for a stronger rhyming association. (am i making any sense?) anyway, i've gotten a bunch of comments in my life about people thinking my name was made up because it sounds so rhymey / melodic.. that i'd personally probably steer away from two names ending in -ina. (can the new -ina name possibly be turned into a -ine?)

 

we had a similar discussion when we discovered we love Sage, but also thought Pace would make a great first name. DF also really likes Chase - all one syllable names with the same a in the middle and a somewhat strong ending. it was clear to me that we wouldn't be having another kid named Pace or Chase. (we also won't be having a daughter named Page, even though i love the name.) so the task was then to find the one name out of the cluster we loved the most, and go with that one. which sadly meant to reject the others. (i really like Pace, i've never heard of it as a name and think it works on so many levels!)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettlesoup View Post

Vc; I love the name Sage, lovely choice.

 

thanks nettlesoup :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanSolitude View Post

I love the name Sage too but since we are going with a first name that starts with A and our last name begins with S. All middle names that begin with S are out...

 

haha, yes, i can see your point OceanSolitude! :)

 

EDIT: 

 

Jenny, i forgot to add this: i think you're deciding between two great combinations. i love both Adrian Rowe and Ari William. the concerns you expressed earlier about how the name will sound with baby's last name i think are not an issue at all with either! i love it when you know you basically can't go wrong with whichever combo you choose - although i understand going back and forth can be so stressful! 

 

i'd probably take a little break from thinking about it and see which of these names seem right in a couple weeks.. i've found the resting periods in our name search to be very helpful! (we were at some point stuck dismissing Sage as "the name we would have given our daughter", and only through taking a break from active name searching was it that we both came back to this name, thinking "this seems like the right name for this baby. how much does the gender question really matter to us?")

post #200 of 245
Thread Starter 
Thanks vc! I really, really like both names we're choosing between. I probably like Adrian R a tiny bit more, but my reservation about the A/J thing levels the playing field. I made a poll and put it on the fridge, and every time one of us likes one name more than the other, we cast another vote smile.gif. Silly, I know.

About your question, I think naming your kid something you find appealing and think would grow well with him/her is the goal, and everything else is just a way to find inspiration or rule-outs, because there are sooooo many names to consider. So whether you find that inspiration from place names, family names, literature, movie characters, or beautiful word meanings, it's all good. I don't think every name needs a great back story, though its always a bonus- sometimes we just choose a name because it sounds nice. You know?

For what it's worth, I really love the tradition of giving a child his or her mother's maiden name as a second middle name. I love the tie in to the mother's family and I really do think it makes the connection seem stronger. DS has my last name as his second mn, and so will the new guy- and I really regret not naming my DDs this way.
Edited by Jennyanydots - 9/30/13 at 4:28pm
Mothering › Groups › September 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › names again :)