would you let your almost 11 year old take public transportation to go to school?
dd starts 6th grade at a middle school 10 miles away. the first two miles she will scooter or bike depending on her mood to catch the bus that will drop her two minutes walking distance from school.
how would you feel about that?
that is what our plan is. but I have been surprised by how many of my friends - either with no children or with babies - do NOT want dd to take public transportation. they feel it could be dangerous.
here are my reasons for sending her
* she is mature and is aware of her surroundings
* she is miss super independence and wants to do it
* she is a tall girl so she looks older
* she follows rules (I don't make many, but she knows which ones are safety ones that she has to follow)
* she had been scootering back and forth from her school 2 miles away thru very busy traffic for a week and did exactly as I told her
* she knows danger rules and has a cool head when in danger situation
* she has a phone
I have had so many friends express shock that I expect dd to take the public bus that I am now second guessing myself. but they are also the people who listen to the news and hear about all the abductions and child deaths.
what do you think?