i suspect ds 5 years old needs to take a zinc supplement. i wasnt able to find one at whole foods. are there any brand of high quality, no toxicity that anyone recommends? also, how do i know how much to supp with? and for how long?
- categoryHealth Healingtagged by nycmom18, 6/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- Please educate me on staph infections Last post on 4/16/14 at 2:43pm in Women's Health
- HHS seeking comments regarding provider non-discrimination in health plans. Deadline 10 June 2014. Last post on 4/12/14 at 5:32am in Women's Health
- nausea and fatigue- several bfn Last post on 4/12/14 at 7:19am in Women's Health
- HFM, not just for kids...UPDATE Last post on 4/10/14 at 8:12am in Women's Health
- What's causing my ds tummy pain? Last post on 4/2/14 at 7:08am in Women's Health
3 Family-Tested Secrets to Not Getting Sick
Last edited: 1/2/14
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?Last edited: 11/2/13
- The Crunchy Mom’s Guide to Working with Your PediatricianLast edited: 10/25/13
- An asthma epidemic and a climate crisisLast edited: 10/31/12
- Mood NeurotransmittersLast edited: 6/27/11
zinc supp for child?post #1 of 46/25/13 at 6:25pmThread Starterpost #2 of 46/25/13 at 8:14pmI use Zinc Monomethione for my boys and have for a long time. I use it because it's well absorbed compared to other forms, and it doesn't deplete copper like other supplemental zincs can. I do not supplement copper (you don't want excess, I'd never supplement it) but I don't want to deplete what we get from food either.
Before my kids could swallow capsules (they are very tiny), I would just open and dump it on a spoon with some apple sauce or similar. This is the form I use-VRP brand. I trust that company's production and purity. I don't necessarily buy it from that Amazon link. I get it from wherever I get the best deal at the time of purchase--but I always use that company for the zinc.
Oh, I go by Pauling Institute guidelines in terms of upper tolerable intake (not the RDA levels, the table toward the bottom under adverse effects. However, with zinc the upper tolerable levels are set where they are to prevent loss of copper, as they say on the link. That's not an issue with this form of zinc, though it would be with other forms. If you use some other type of zinc, make sure you stay below that upper tolerable level. I give a full capsule of this form myself and have for a long time, given I don't have to worry about copper. But if you wanted you could easily just dump 1/2 of it for him or whatever, to cut the dose.post #3 of 46/25/13 at 8:18pmThread Starterpost #4 of 47/8/13 at 5:50am
Huge fan of Zinc! It has saved us many times from sickness. I give my kids Thompson Brand -Children's Zinc Lozenges. I get them through Frontier so I'm not sure they have them at WF.
It says for children 4 and up but my doctor OK-ed them for when my son was very young (under 2). They are round hard pills that dissolve easily in your mouth. Very sweet, kids love them. Each pill contains 20mg of Vit. C and 5mg of Zinc, that is 33% daily value for each. I give them one lozenge 3x's a day.
I only use them as an immune booster. Zinc is proven to prevent and shorten illness! So if one of my kiddos is not looking or feeling right I break out the zinc. They all get it. My sick one will usually only be sick for a day or 2 and I often prevent the others from getting sick at all. Hubby and I dose up on zinc too. We take them the duration that the sickness is in the house then stop.
I looked up if it is harmful at all and didn't find any evidence that it would hurt us unless in very, very high doses. Not sure why you want it for your DS and I'm not an expert by any means on safe levels and continued use.
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?
- › Pool at MIL's house - wwyd? 1 minute ago
- › the forum that will keep me on mdc 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a carrier for an older toddler with special needs 2 minutes ago
- › Homeschooling Through Disney Project 3 minutes ago
- › Grateful but tired 6 minutes ago
- › Finding the right amount of structure 22 minutes ago
- › The Real Reason Kids Aren't Getting Vaccines 25 minutes ago
- › Those Pesky "Anti-Vax" Experts 27 minutes ago
- › Starting to feel better 31 minutes ago
- › Dinner - What Are You Having? 32 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness