i suspect ds 5 years old needs to take a zinc supplement. i wasnt able to find one at whole foods. are there any brand of high quality, no toxicity that anyone recommends? also, how do i know how much to supp with? and for how long?
- categoryHealth Healingtagged by nycmom18, 6/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- Has anyone had revision surgery on a perineal tear? Last post on Today at 12:50 am in Women's Health
- hope this helps Last post on 3/13/14 at 12:43pm in Women's Health
- Gallstones and pregnancy Last post on 3/11/14 at 9:16am in Women's Health
- Would this pic concern you or is this a lighting/angle issue Last post on 3/5/14 at 6:37pm in Women's Health
- Need Answers. Last post on 3/10/14 at 4:39pm in Women's Health
3 Family-Tested Secrets to Not Getting Sick
Last edited: 1/2/14
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?Last edited: 11/2/13
- The Crunchy Mom’s Guide to Working with Your PediatricianLast edited: 10/25/13
- An asthma epidemic and a climate crisisLast edited: 10/31/12
- Mood NeurotransmittersLast edited: 6/27/11
zinc supp for child?post #1 of 46/25/13 at 6:25pmThread Starterpost #2 of 46/25/13 at 8:14pmI use Zinc Monomethione for my boys and have for a long time. I use it because it's well absorbed compared to other forms, and it doesn't deplete copper like other supplemental zincs can. I do not supplement copper (you don't want excess, I'd never supplement it) but I don't want to deplete what we get from food either.
Before my kids could swallow capsules (they are very tiny), I would just open and dump it on a spoon with some apple sauce or similar. This is the form I use-VRP brand. I trust that company's production and purity. I don't necessarily buy it from that Amazon link. I get it from wherever I get the best deal at the time of purchase--but I always use that company for the zinc.
Oh, I go by Pauling Institute guidelines in terms of upper tolerable intake (not the RDA levels, the table toward the bottom under adverse effects. However, with zinc the upper tolerable levels are set where they are to prevent loss of copper, as they say on the link. That's not an issue with this form of zinc, though it would be with other forms. If you use some other type of zinc, make sure you stay below that upper tolerable level. I give a full capsule of this form myself and have for a long time, given I don't have to worry about copper. But if you wanted you could easily just dump 1/2 of it for him or whatever, to cut the dose.post #3 of 46/25/13 at 8:18pmThread Starterpost #4 of 47/8/13 at 5:50am
Huge fan of Zinc! It has saved us many times from sickness. I give my kids Thompson Brand -Children's Zinc Lozenges. I get them through Frontier so I'm not sure they have them at WF.
It says for children 4 and up but my doctor OK-ed them for when my son was very young (under 2). They are round hard pills that dissolve easily in your mouth. Very sweet, kids love them. Each pill contains 20mg of Vit. C and 5mg of Zinc, that is 33% daily value for each. I give them one lozenge 3x's a day.
I only use them as an immune booster. Zinc is proven to prevent and shorten illness! So if one of my kiddos is not looking or feeling right I break out the zinc. They all get it. My sick one will usually only be sick for a day or 2 and I often prevent the others from getting sick at all. Hubby and I dose up on zinc too. We take them the duration that the sickness is in the house then stop.
I looked up if it is harmful at all and didn't find any evidence that it would hurt us unless in very, very high doses. Not sure why you want it for your DS and I'm not an expert by any means on safe levels and continued use.
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?
- › What does everyone do for income? 9 minutes ago
- › October 2014 Roll Call 11 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 11 minutes ago
- › 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 14 (starts March 3,... 13 minutes ago
- › Grief during pregnancy 22 minutes ago
- › Natural Sinus Relief? 24 minutes ago
- › upsetting appointment 24 minutes ago
- › the FB group is here 25 minutes ago
- › 12 year old boy is weepy. Causes? 31 minutes ago
- › When can I expect much more regular and consistent/frequent... 31 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild