my little guy (16 weeks old) is doing great with naps during the day. and once he's finally down for the night he sleeps well, just waking a couple times - briefly! - to nurse and fall back to sleep (we do family bed).
the problem is getting him down at night. he spends over 2 hours drifting in and out of sleep before he's truly down for the night. here's his current "schedule":
- between 7 and 8 am : wake up
- between 9 and 10 am (after 1 to 1.5 hours of wakefulness) : go down for nap easily. sleep 1.5-2 hours.
- 12:30 to 1:30 pm (after 1.5 or 2 hours of wakefulness) : go down for nap easily. sleep 1.5 to 2 hours.
- between 4:00 and 5:00 (after 1.5 to 2 hours of wakefulness) : go down for a nap easily. sleep 45 minutes.
- 7 to 7:30 pm : bedtime routine, including nursing. goes to sleep pretty easily, though not quite as easily.
- 8 or 8:30 pm : wakes up. i nurse him again, hoping he'll drift off to sleep. but he's alert and resisting sleep, though he seems tired. we spend the next 2 to 2.5 hours trying to get him to go back to sleep and stay asleep. he'll drift off, only to pop awake again as soon as we leave the room.
- 10 or 10:30 pm : finally fall asleep "for the night."
- night wakings at about 2 am and 5 am for feeding, then right back to sleep
so what is that at 7 pm? a "nap"? seems like that should be his bedtime, not a 4th nap. and that time between 8 and 10 pm he's restless and doesn't seem like he really should be awake. but he just is. he's not even particularly interested in eating during that time, just restless.
our bedroom where he sleeps is not very dark this time of year at that time of night. so i wonder if i might need darkening shades?
or is he napping too much/too long?
am i crazy for thinking his bedtime should be early now (7-ish) instead of 10 pm?
just sorta frustrated and tired of spending 2 to 3 hours of every evening working on getting him to sleep.