Pull money out of savings and put it in a safe in your house or pay off another debt. (IE prepay oil for the winter, or apply to your mortage.) I had to do that.
Would you do a vacation that you couldn't "technically" afford? - Page 2
As something to consider in your research of birth options, the American Association of Birth Centers has a position statement on VBACs in birth centers. In a word, it's no. Birth centers who want accredidation are not supposed to be doing VBACs anymore. If it's too risky for the folks who really wanted to provide that service outside the hospital, in a birth center, why would it be an ideal choice to have a VBAC at home? You might look into a certified nurse-midwife- you may be able to find a practice that could provide birth services for you at a hospital. You might also ask about what hospitals near you offer the pre-priced deal, so you know exactly what price you'll be charged--some offer this these days. A doctor can certainly be a good choice too--and though achieving a vbac would be great, if you end up with a cesarean, wouldn't that be ok also? I would certainly be very wary, just on financial grounds, of handing over $4000 to a midwife when a transfer is a distinct possibility. That would add a whole new layer of cost, as I'm sure you're thinking twice about. Regarding feeling bad about just barely qualifying for Medicaid--don't feel bad! If you qualify, go ahead and apply! Whether you went on a vacation or not does not matter. The country does have an interest in making sure little babies and birthing moms get proper care. Regarding your possible vacation, do you still get the feeling your dad may be a shabby host and ruin the vacation for you? If so, maybe it would be a good option to ask him about saving those thousands and coming to see you and the kids a couple extra times in the next year or so. In this way, they would actually have more time with their grandfather, and you wouldn't feel you wasted thousands of dollars. All these choices are really yours to make, and it may be stressful having to make these kinds of decisions. I hope you will end up feeling at peace with all your choices, and best wishes for a continued happy healthy pregnancy and birth.
I would argue that this has a lot more to do with liability than riskiness. For many women, birthing at home is the safest route. Birthing at a hospital raises the chances of her having another c-section, which is not what this mama wants and carries significant risks in itself. Also, I'm not sure transfer is any more likely than if she were a first time mom or having another natural birth. OP, are you on the VBAC boards at all? That's where we go for facts and support regarding VBAC. :-)
Good luck in whatever you decide, OP!
"the American Association of Birth Centers has a position statement on VBACs in birth centers. In a word, it's no. Birth centers who want accredidation are not supposed to be doing VBACs anymore. "
Can you reference this? I was at an AABC accredited birth center until this February, we offered VBACs and they didn't have anything negative to say about it.
2004- Publication of the National Study of Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) in Birth Centers is published in the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, This AABC study of 1,913 women attempting VBACs in birth centers demonstrates that VBACs carry risks that suggest hospital care is best.
But then there is this saying they need more info.
To the OP, no, I wouldn't do it. I was in a similar situation and am glad I waited to do the vacation. Not only did I have to pay my homebirth MW the entire fee, but also, I had to pay the costs to have a surgical delivery when things went wrong. Next year when we get our tax refund, we can do something a little more fun than that!
Please do derail the thread! I need all the VBAC info. I can get. We are now debating the midwife situation. We qualify for Medicaid so that opens our options a bit. We decided to look into a midwife at a hospital, a dr. at a hospital, and another midwife who does homebirths. The midwives we are with have been great but they don't do any sort of sliding fee and they don't bill Medicaid. This isn't the bottom line; we'd happily pay out of pocket but we are feeling a little wary, to be honest. At my last appointment, which was my first one even though I was like 13 weeks because of some off dates of mine, the midwife ran out of time and said she'd do the exam next time. So she wasn't going to do heart tones or look at my stomach or anything. We had an ultrasound two weeks earlier and saw a healthy baby but my husband wasn't there so I asked her to really quickly do the heart beat. I left feeling a little uncomfortable even needing to ask her to do that. I had an 8 week loss several years and days earlier had a friend who had an 8 week loss that she didn't find out about until the 12 week appointment. I thought, oh my gosh if something like that were to happen we wouldn't know for another month, at my next appointment. My husband thought it wasn't that big of a deal but I guess I'm just super picky about our provider now. And it's like the more research I do, the less I know.