Mothering Top Picks
Related Forum Threads
- What's your favorite blender? Last post on 4/18/14 at 10:15am in Fitness and Weight Management
- April 2014 challenge: 1,000 minutes of exercise! Last post on Today at 6:09 pm in Fitness and Weight Management
- bra advice Last post on 3/23/14 at 7:37am in Fitness and Weight Management
- Weight loss challenge! Last post on Today at 6:10 pm in Fitness and Weight Management
- Workout DVDs for an uncoordinated, very out of shape beginner? Last post on 3/18/14 at 12:05pm in Fitness and Weight Management
Mayim Bialik Opens Up About Her Breastfeeding Challenges and...
Last edited: 4/7/14
- 8 Ways Natural Birth Can Help With BreastfeedingLast edited: 3/18/14
- Tandem BreastfeedingLast edited: 2/17/14
- A Letter to My Nursing ToddlerLast edited: 2/18/14
- Insufficiency: Breastfeeding in Real-LifeLast edited: 2/7/14
Breastfeeding and hot yoga?post #1 of 57/2/13 at 2:42pmThread StarterI am exclusively BFng my 5 month old and just started doing yoga (mom&baby). I'm also planning on taking some other classes to help stretch and strengthen my body because with 3 under 6 at home I'm starting to feel myself getting tired and sore by the end of the day! Anyways when signing up at the studio the instructor mentioned that many breastfeeding moms avoid hot yoga classes - why is that? Is it due to dehydration? Toxins being released into the breastmilk? I figured the mommas here would know!post #2 of 57/3/13 at 11:37am
My understanding is twofold:
1) hydration: it's so important to stay hydrated while breastfeeding!
2) sweat and baby: some babies do not like to nurse when mama is salty and sweaty and tastes different.
Kellymom also mentions drop is IgA levels when exercising to exhaustion: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/mom-exercise/post #3 of 57/3/13 at 11:59amI think your guesses are right on. I know many of the postures are meant to release toxins, and there is a possibility of passing on to baby. Dehydration could also be an issue, but I found regular hot yoga sessions noticeably increased my general daily water intake. I found myself more hydrated than ever on a daily basis.
Also, locust pose is hell on lactating boobs. It's essentially entire body weight on top of breasts, smashed into the floor with arms squeezing in from the sides of breasts. Yeowch!post #4 of 57/3/13 at 12:02pmQuote:
OMG so true...
I had a blast with postpartum yoga, though! Plus, they had snacks, hehe :Dpost #5 of 57/3/13 at 12:37pmOne more thought... You might talk to one of the instructors about helping you modify or eliminate certain postures that might be more toxin-releasing than others.
I think there's a toxic release from just about any form of exercise, since it all warms the body, opens tight areas, and really gets things flowing in the body. I don't think hot yoga would be heaps more toxifying than any other deep workout. But that really only a guess with no data or research behind it.
- 8 Ways Natural Birth Can Help With Breastfeeding
- › Misgivings anyone? 1 minute ago
- › Names yet? 5 minutes ago
- › Not sure 6 minutes ago
- › Severely Irritable Uterus 6 minutes ago
- › Faint line... BFP or BFN ?? 16 minutes ago
- › Hallo (: 19 minutes ago
- › What does this mean? 24 minutes ago
- › Was this punishment too harsh? 46 minutes ago
- › The "I might be pregnant but I wasn't trying" thread 51 minutes ago
- › Living in a shame-based culture 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness