I posted this on another board, but it doesn't get much traffic, so I thought I would try here.I am really curious how others handle situations that come up with blended families. Between DH and I we have 6 children. I have two from my previous marriage and he has three from his previous marriages and we have one together. The ages are 16, 12, 9, 8, 6 and 9 months. All are boys except for the 9 year old and 9 month old. The 16 year old is only here during holidays and for extended summer breaks, as he lives in Texas with his mother the remainder of the year, So, he doesn't really figure in much on the questions below. The 12 and 8 year olds are here every other weekend and most holidays as they live closer. The 9 year old girl, six year old boy are my children and are with us every day, except every Sunday evening and every other weekend that they are with their father. The 9 month old is ours together. We currently have the 4 kids that are here the most (12, 9, 8 and 6) on the same weekends. So, we have all of them one weekend and none (except for DD that is ours together) of them the following weekend. Here are my questions for those of you that have similar situations (if there is anyone!):
- How do you handle chores? Do you have specific chores for the kids that aren't here all the time?
- How do you handle discipline for the kids that you only have every other weekend? It seems like they really could care less because they know in two days they go back home.
- How do you keep the schedule straight? Right now our entire life is on a Google calendar.
- How do you handle bedtimes? The 12 and 8 year old have no bedtime at their Mothers. Even during school. We have an 8:30 bedtime year round so I can keep my sanity.
- When the step-kids come do they come with clothes or do you have a supply at your house? We have been buying clothes for them since their Mom sends items that have holes or do not fit or match, but we are paying through the nose for support and cannot afford to keep purchasing clothes that are outgrown when they wear them a few times. The only bonus is that we have a 6 year old that gets hand me downs.