I am expecting for a second time, following a wonderful birthing center birth with my first a little over a year ago. Unfortunately, although I would love to use the same again, it is almost two hours away and with juggling appointments and a little one, we have decided that this route is not practical with our current circumstances. Also, we will be able to have pre-natal coverage for expenses this time, which we did not qualify for with my last pregnancy, and the cost of a hospital birth vs. birthing center was another, although smaller, portion of our consideration.
Since a more natural birth was the priority, and a homebirth is also really not an option (I'm still a bit uncomfortable with the idea, plus it would still mean the same for getting to and from pre-natal appointments as there are really no nearer midwives that will do a homebirth than there are birthing centers), I would like some advice on how to approach talking with the certified nurse midwives who are accustomed to working in the local hospital to make sure we are on the same page right away concerning birthing preferences.
Here's what I want (barring any REAL complications): No induction of labor or artificial quickening of labor; freedom of mobility and not being tied down to an IV or to monitors; the ability to shower and use a birthing ball for management of labor pain (I can provide my own birthing ball if needed); no artificial rupture of membranes until I am at the pushing stage and/or request that my water be broken; and control over when/if IV antibiotics will be used if I happen to be Group B strep positive.
After the birth, I want the baby to remain with me and family, I do not wish to use the hospital nursery in any way. Any testing necessary should be able to be done in the room (again, in the event that no complications arise). I wish for at least my husband to be present for baby's first bath, preferably for both of us to be present and able to participate. I want to breast-feed with no immediate introduction of the bottle, if we choose to do so it will be at our own pace and our own time, definitely not immediately. And I want for baby and I to be released from care ASAP. I do not want the hepatitis vaccination given nor do I want circumcision if the baby is a boy. I am OK with Vitamin K and eye prophylactics.
I am pretty firm on what I want if all goes normally (although obviously I am willing to accept changes if they are truly warranted). So I'd like to get this out in the air at my very first visit, so that I will have time to change practitioners or make other arrangements if necessary - as much as I don't feel like it, I know I could have things my way if I drove further, so it may be a consideration if there's no way to get this.
Any suggestions on how to be diplomatic, but let the new practice know that I'm pretty firm on having this baby on my terms?