Skip ahead to two nights ago. I went into BJ"s L & D because I had what I thought was a UTI (it was) and I started having really, really bad cramps from it, and they honestly felt like and were timeable like contractions. I mean, this is my 5th, I know what contractions generally feel like. They hooked me up to the monitor and for those familiar with how contractions register, it would go up about 10 points when I would have them, but in the grand scheme of things, they really weren't registering. The OB triage nurse acted like I was a spaz and imagining the pains because they weren't registering so they obviously didn't exist. Then the house doc came in to see me and said he was going to check me-I was like, why, you've clearly said I'm not having contractions and I don't have cervical checks before active labor. He was like, well we need to make sure blah blah blah. I get that, but I also get that if they were so adamant I wasn't having contractions, and I had no other signs or indications of dilating, it wasn't really necessary. Fast forward to having a bad UTI, getting two bags of IV meds, and then waiting to be discharged...the nurse comes in and tell me that house doc has written me a script for Macrobid-I'm completely opposed to taking Macrobid at this point in pregnancy, because it's specifically contraindicated in the last 2-4 weeks of pregnancy due to it causing hemolytic anemia in the baby (it destroys baby's red blood cells), and the internets were riddled with stories of complications in newborns with anything from jaundice to brain bleeds. Even though I'm only 31 weeks, I AM NOT comfortable taking it at this stage of pregnancy, not even a little. So I say to the nurse, "can you please ask the house doc to prescribe something else, I'm not comfortable taking Macrobid this late in pregnancy" she then goes on to say well we always prescribe this in the third trimester, and only if you were due in the next few DAYS would it be an issue (the 2-4 weeks figure is from the manufacturers website), I also think house doc talked to regular OB and she was fine with it. I said I understand but I'm not comfortable with it, then she agreed to call the house doc and ask. She comes back and repeats the same info and says house doc said if I have an issue then to call regular OB in the morning. Nurse says well I'll still give you the script and what you choose to do with it is up to you.
Obviously (?) I was annoyed with how that whole thing went down. So now, where my issue lies, is that I DO NOT LIKE that house doc. The bigger issue is that my OB generally doesn't attend births after hours, so if I do go into labor after hours, there is a very good chance that this house doc will be attending my birth. The thought of that really bothers me. I do NOT like him, at all, even a little. And I have no doubts that everything with my labor and birth will end up being an exercise in constantly needing to assert myself, and there's already a precedent of he doesn't give a shit what I want.
In my births at PW, I wasn't even questioned or even given a second thought about all my "quirky" requests or denials of consent in my birth plan for typical aspects of labor and birth. I even had a nurse comment how awesome it was I was informed and not afraid to make my preferences known and I should question everything anyone wants to do and forgo if I don't like it or understand it.
So now I'm left in this quandary of do I return to what I know, foregoing the option of a tub to labor in (which I think will be instrumental in a successful natural birth), but being familiar and knowing the kind of situation I will be in, or do I roll the dice and have the availability of a tub or pool to labor in, but possibly end up with an OB who will likely demand I leave the tub for labor anyway, will likely ignore my wishes, and be left feeling like I have to advocate for myself on a consistent basis??