This week looks to be more fun (I hope!). I have a massage scheduled for Wednesday (the last of my Groupon massages before I deliver, I think), but I really like this particular day spa, so my mom and I are thinking of joining their membership club on our mutual birthdays (October 1).
I'm having ongoing MIL issues. I'm extremely grateful to be a SAHM and no longer dependent on them for childcare. They just got back from a cruise and now they've got it into their head to take a cruise for their 50th anniversary in November of next year (2014). I told them I likely wouldn't go for the following reasons (stated more politely to them than I am here):
- I will have three kids 5 and under. The kids activities would break DD1 and DD2 into separate groups so they'd freak out and we'd have no childcare options.
- All children are counted in as full fare, which means that one child would not be able to sleep in our room (only 4 to a room) and my MIL says they'll only take DD1 in their room.
- DS will only be a year old an not allowed in most locations on the ship, including the pool, the casino, and many of the evening shows.
- All of my DC are too young to do any shore excursion listed on the sample list for the cruise they picked.
- The boat is not exactly child-friendly, from the lack of bathtubs in the rooms (showers only!) to the large spacing between the railings for a new walker to topple through
- My DH and his brother (who is also supposed to go on the cruise) work at the same small business and it's nigh-impossible that they'd get the same set of vacations days off
- I don't want DH to use his entire vacation for this cruise because it sounds like hell watching three kids on a boat.
Unfortunately, I think I overplayed my hand prior to having children by stating that I don't like cruises. It's not a secret that I am not a big fan of cruises on a personal level because I dislike being places I can't escape and I am a emetophobe. So, my issues with this cruise are being shunted into the "Brooke is just being a cow about it because she doesn't like cruises."
Serafina33 - It's SciFi, but for things with good anecdotes, I'm still a HUGE fan of Douglas Adams. One of my favorites by him is a lesser-known work called The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. I love this book so much, it's one of only three books that I would actually get a quote tattooed on my body from: "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
vc2013 - I am sorry that your DF is kind of blind to seeing that his trip is necessary. Do you think you could bargain it out for a special treat for you - maybe a mani/pedi or a massage or a day just for you?