I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to have another homebirth this time. I feel kinda crazy saying that, though, because I've had 2 at home (waterbirths) and loved them. Is it normal to question the birthing place every time?
A brief history about me:
- I'm almost 37, this is my 4th baby (and hopefully my last :)
- My first was supposed to be birth center but we had to transfer to hospital after 2.5 hrs pushing for failure to progress. Despite being on pit, I was still able to be epidural/pain-med free and after 2 more hours and a 3rd degree episiotomy, he finally arrived!
- My 2nd was a 3.5 hr labor, start to finish; VERY intense labor and the water/birthing tub was my saving grace. I had a 2nd degree tear, but after stitches, it healed amazingly well - way better than the episiotomy
- My 3rd was a 4.5 hr labor, also in water. I kinda freaked out a little during 2nd stage (also intense labor) but everything was fine.
- Babies have all been healthy; only minor issue was I had to monitor baby #3's body temp for a few hours as it was a little low
- I'm very healthy, live a natural lifestyle, eat well (not perfect! :), and have no red flags (besides possibly my age) that would necessitate a hospital birth
- Also, I love my midwife. She has been with me for the last 2 births and I really trust her.
So why am I having a hard time wrapping my brain around another homebirth? Any advice out there??
PS I have felt this way EVERY time - questioned my birthing place up until labor commenced ... at which point, I was so in the moment, an elephant could've walked through the room unnoticed by me.