or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Mumps on the Rise-MMR to Blame?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mumps on the Rise-MMR to Blame?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

http://www.connexionfrance.com/Mumps-cases-rise-France-vaccination-14933-view-article.html

 

 

Quote:
While the cases are, for the moment, just noted as ‘swelling of the saliva glands’ and have not been biologically tested as mumps, the figures are an indication of a disease outbreak.

 

 

post #2 of 13

This thread has a misleading title. The article is blaming gaps in MMR vaccination for the possible rise in Mumps, not MMR itself. 

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

This thread has a misleading title. The article is blaming gaps in MMR vaccination for the possible rise in Mumps, not MMR itself. 

it also says

 

Quote:
The effectiveness of the vaccine has also been called into questions. The InVS says that in outbreaks observed this year, 73% of young people had already been vaccinated as babies.

which again leaves the question:  is the MMR to blame?

post #4 of 13

Could the MMR-induced immunity against mumps have waned? 

 

Do the vax-induced immunity against M, M, and R wane at about the same time actually? ... googling ...OK, found one ...

 

Persistence of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Antibodies in an MMR-Vaccinated Cohort: A 20-Year Follow-up

http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/197/7/950.long

Nope, the vax-induced immunity against M,M, and R wane at different rates from this study.

 

Wonder if this has been observed somewhere else ... googling ... looks like it ...

 

Rise in mumps cases linked to waning immunity given by MMR vaccine

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jul/04/rise-mumps-waning-immunity-mmr-vaccine

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

it also says "The effectiveness of the vaccine has also been called into questions. The InVS says that in outbreaks observed this year, 73% of young people had already been vaccinated as babies."

 

which again leaves the question:  is the MMR to blame?

 

We can only answer that if we know what fraction of the population are immunized - this looks like the classic misuse of statistics to demonstrate vaccines are worthless tactic!

 

 For example if 99% of the population are vaccinated, and 78% of the people getting Mumps are vaccinated, that means the vaccine is protecting people - maybe it's not 100%, but it's better than nothing. 

 

 The article also talk about a lack of take-up of boosters contributing to the problem, and doesn't comment on how many of the 78% just had a single vaccine.  

 

 So it's interesting, and I hope they will follow it up with continued studies of how long MMR gives protection against mumps, but I don't think you can use it as another piece of "evidence" against MMR. 

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

 

We can only answer that if we know what fraction of the population are immunized - this looks like the classic misuse of statistics to demonstrate vaccines are worthless tactic!

 

 For example if 99% of the population are vaccinated, and 78% of the people getting Mumps are vaccinated, that means the vaccine is protecting people - maybe it's not 100%, but it's better than nothing. 

 

 The article also talk about a lack of take-up of boosters contributing to the problem, and doesn't comment on how many of the 78% just had a single vaccine.  

 

 So it's interesting, and I hope they will follow it up with continued studies of how long MMR gives protection against mumps, but I don't think you can use it as another piece of "evidence" against MMR. 

but doesn't that mean it's a failure for the rest of the population that came down with it anyways?  Where's the benefit to a vaccine that failed to give protection to the ones who got it, and got sick anyways?

post #7 of 13

Has anyone here had mumps? I have, and if my brother hadn't had a more obvious case just before me, it might not have been recognized as mumps, it was so mild. 

 

The article does seem to be implying that the problem is waning immunity, which been shown to be a problem, and then there is the Merck whisleblower lawsuit, that seems to have been conveniently swept under the carpet, which point to vaccine failure. 

 

Generally, mumps is an extremely mild, self-limiting childhood disease in reasonably healthy children when contracted at the 'correct' age. With inferior vaccine induced immunity that wanes in a few years, this disease is showing up in young people who by natural law should have been fully immune through contracting the disease in childhood, as the article points out, this is a worldwide phenomenon:

 

"Similar outbreaks among young people who had previously been vaccinated have been documented in the USA, Netherlands and Israel."

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Has anyone here had mumps? I have, and if my brother hadn't had a more obvious case just before me, it might not have been recognized as mumps, it was so mild. 

 

The article does seem to be implying that the problem is waning immunity, which been shown to be a problem, and then there is the Merck whisleblower lawsuit, that seems to have been conveniently swept under the carpet, which point to vaccine failure. 

 

Generally, mumps is an extremely mild, self-limiting childhood disease in reasonably healthy children when contracted at the 'correct' age. With inferior vaccine induced immunity that wanes in a few years, this disease is showing up in young people who by natural law should have been fully immune through contracting the disease in childhood, as the article points out, this is a worldwide phenomenon:

 

"Similar outbreaks among young people who had previously been vaccinated have been documented in the USA, Netherlands and Israel."

i had it at 4yrs old...vividly remember my face swollen, and my sister had them too, much more sickly than i was with them..i played, she was confined to bed...viruses seemed to hit her harder than the rest of us, and she later developed juvenile type 1 diabetes

post #9 of 13
I had a very mild case as a child too actually. Makes some little boys infertile though I hear, and would be very serious in children otherwise unhealthy. So much for anecdotes.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I had a very mild case as a child too actually. Makes some little boys infertile though I hear, and would be very serious in children otherwise unhealthy. So much for anecdotes.

That's anecdotal, too. Are there actually any studies showing this to be the ce?

According to the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/mumps/downloads/dis-mumps-color-office.pdf

" Up to 4 out of 10 adolescent and adult males infected with mumps may have swelling of the testicles, which rarely results in decreased fertility. "

They don't eveñ mention INfertility--just decreased fertility. And not in little boys.

So much for anecdotes.
post #11 of 13
We had a small "outbreak" of mumps diagnoses around here about 6(?) years ago. From what I remember, it was mostly among previously vaccinated university students. The diagnostic practices during the outbreak were a bit wild, though, so while I have no doubt there were cases of it, I doubt the numbers were accurate.

I think it would be very helpful for the separate M, M and R inoculations to become readily available again. I think a significant number of people who are "under-vaxed" would be more willing to get boosters if they could just get just the ones they needed, considering the immunities seem to wane at different rates.
post #12 of 13
The recent whistleblower lawsuit accused Merck of doctoring efficacy data for the Mumps portion of MMR.
post #13 of 13

Well another anecdote:  DH had mumps, post puberty and went on to father 3 children.  

 

I looked up mumps in the CDC pink book, and it did not say anything that would cause me to run screaming.

 

I tend to place mumps in with the category of diseases where "it might be better if one got it in childhood and had life long immunity."


Edited by kathymuggle - 8/8/13 at 6:09pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations Debate
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Mumps on the Rise-MMR to Blame?