- topicUnassisted Childbirthtagged by mamazee, 8/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Wondering About Multiples Last post on 7/18/12 at 1:11pm in Unassisted Childbirth
- How to type baby's blood if you are RH-/how to get rhogam after a UC? Last post on 5/6/12 at 6:43pm in Unassisted Childbirth
- 4th UC, unexpected twins (warning: transfer) Last post on 5/21/12 at 12:00pm in Unassisted Childbirth
- trying to get my ducks in a row..... novel worthy warning... Last post on 5/12/12 at 2:30pm in Unassisted Childbirth
- Real risks of birth/HB Last post on 6/25/12 at 2:49pm in Homebirth
An Interview with Unassisted Birth Advocate Laura Shanley
Last edited: 3/14/13
- A Baby Born on Wednesday: The Story of the Unassisted BirthLast edited: 3/29/13
- A Baby Born on Wednesday, post 4Last edited: 3/29/13
- A Baby Born on Wednesday, post 3Last edited: 3/29/13
- A Baby Born on Wednesday, post 2Last edited: 3/29/13
Birth certificate- Alaskapost #1 of 98/14/13 at 10:51amThread StarterI know this gets asked a lot but I could find anything specific to Alaska when I searched. We just had our UC yesterday and still aren't fully sure what to do for the birth certificate. I have the paper from the hospital and it has a box at the end where I can check homebirth but there are also places specific to hospital/facility. I tried calling the vital stats bureau but couldn't get through to an actual person and just got messages stating where to find aworksheet online to print (same as hospital's). There are only a few offices in some of the bigger cities (none of which are accessible to us) so going into meet with someone isn't an option either. I did message a friend whorecently had a homebirth but she had a midwifeso things might be different- i havent heard back yet. Any info you may have would help! Thanks!post #2 of 98/27/13 at 2:55pmpost #3 of 99/6/13 at 11:13am
Have you figured it out yet? If not I searched the forum and came up with this from an old thread...
Original copies of everything!!
~ Proof of pregnancy
~ proof of residency
~ proof of birth/baby
For a UC, proof of pregnancy & birth would be notarized letters from non-family members stating that you were indeed pregnant & gave birth to a live baby, sometimes in some states you have to bring the baby w/you to the vital records office when you go in for you intervew & to file the paperwork. The lady that posted the info I just quoted didn't mention anything about an in person interview so perhaps you're off the hook there for AK.post #4 of 910/2/13 at 2:36am
We've had 2 UC's in AK and the paper work was nothing but a crazy hassle. Due to the dividends the state requires proof of birth from anyone or any place, with a skeptical eye, cause they think your scamming for money. That being said, because so many of us are remote, they are flexible on documentation. If you had any public medical services, i.e. an appointment with a midwife, anything on public record, they accept that. If your husband /partner was present at birth, he can make a notorized statement saying he was present at the birth. Both of my babes ended up having delayed birth certificates due to the state not issuing them before they were 2. As I said, hassle hassle hassle...We put the exact location of the births in the location facility part of the paper and that seemed to help, even though the location was a small cabin on a creek.
My advice would be to fill out the paperwork as best as you can just to get the ball rolling. They'll send more stuff later. If it becomes too horrible, contact the ombudsman's. They've dealt with this more than you think and are greatly helpful.post #5 of 911/12/13 at 5:00pm
I called the Alaska Bureau of Vital Statistics and left a message. I got a call back later the same day. She was very helpful and sent me a packet with everything I need to get a birth certificate if I end up going UC. If I remember right (the packet isn't in front of me) I needed proof of pregnancy, proof of a well child exam for the baby, and a utility bill with my name on it (to prove residency). It was all very simple, but I have another 8 weeks to go, so I haven't actually filled out the paperwork yet. Best of luck!post #6 of 92/4/14 at 11:35am
I live in Alaska as well and am planning my UC. I'm not receiving any OB care and decided that I will be going into a clinic while I'm still pregnant to get a proof of pregnancy so I do have some form of public record of the pregnancy. How did the rest of the process go for you? Any tips on how to deal with the state of Alaska?post #7 of 92/4/14 at 9:04pmI don't know how much contact you may have with different folks. If they saw you once as expecting and then a day or same day baby came they should be able to sign as evidence. Notary as necessary to prove signatures. Its a process to get signatures.
I wish we could use "internet friends" as evidence because I seem to talk to online friends as a SAHM more these days.....
I would ensure you take pictures of you and baby as additional proof in case something still doesn't go right.
Print off copies of the facts that yo were expecting and such on internet forums and then responses for more evidence. Its all in the social networking. online and in person.post #8 of 92/4/14 at 9:08pmpost #9 of 92/5/14 at 9:32am
That is what I've been doing just getting as much documentation as possible, I went into a doctors office just yesterday to get a official "Your Pregnant" on paperwork. Luckly I have a whole Roller Derby Team that would sign off saying that I was pregnant and gave birth so between all that and a health check I will be doing after the baby is born I am hoping that is everything I will need to get a birth certificate for he/she.
And yes while everyone was freezing in the lower 48 we had almost all our snow melt in the middle of winter, it was so warm up here! It was a nice little random vacation for us Alaskans haha.
- A Baby Born on Wednesday: The Story of the Unassisted Birth
- › Ask: Do your parents chat with your kids? 16 seconds ago
- › Hello... new to kids 2 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Cravings 3 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- Wolf Moon 6 minutes ago
- › do some babies not like EC? 9 minutes ago
- › "Baby's gaze May Signal Autism, a Study Finds" 10 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 14 minutes ago
- › Water Slings, what are your favorites? 15 minutes ago
- › A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words 17 minutes ago
- › Any other moms expecting #5 or more? 17 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher