Hi! I have a 5-yr old son, and we are transitioning off of most soy products. I was wondering if anyone's pediatrician has suggested giving fortified soy milk to their child. Mine has! I think the reason was the amount of protein in the soy milk, or perhaps it was the calcium. (I can't remember!) I want to stop buying soy milk for the family, but am wondering if I should still feed our son the fortified soy milk. Yes, we eat well - lots of green leafies, tofu, and nuts and fruits. I am not worried about him not getting his vitamins, minerals and protein. Is there something I'm missing?
- topicVegantagged by california_mom, 8/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- filling vegan foods Last post on Today at 5:30 pm in Vegetarian and Vegan
- What is your go-to kid friendly meal for those nights when you're exhausted? Last post on 4/15/14 at 6:06pm in Vegetarian and Vegan
- 2yr old's stinky poooy Last post on 3/27/14 at 5:04pm in Vegetarian and Vegan
- New Vegan. Last post on 2/19/14 at 7:51pm in Vegetarian and Vegan
- Soy issues, and family veg cooking Last post on 2/19/14 at 11:18am in Vegetarian and Vegan
Black Bean Brownies (optionally vegan and gluten-free)
Last edited: 9/16/13
- Raising a Non-Vegan in a Vegan HouseholdLast edited: 7/18/13
- Raising a Non-Vegan in a Vegan Household
When can I stop buying soy milk?
I'm assuming that you had been recommended the soy milk because your family is vegetarian in the first place? I'd guess in that case it was for the calcium and vitamin D or the B12 (those are all specific things our ped's sometimes have brought up with the kids being vegetarian). If you have other sources for those, and nobody is crazy into drinking soy milk, I think you're fine to let it go. That's my take on it. We rarely do soy milk (or other milks) ourselves.
Absolutely. I just keep thinking back to why the physician specifically said to keep giving my son soy milk. She never mentioned supplements. Do physicians think it's more difficult to give kids chewable vitamins? Weird. I don't feel that giving a child a vitamin is much different than feeding him soy milk that has added vitamins.
I think for us the MD figured soy milk has everything she would worry about, so it was simple to consider it a substitute for the cow milk that we don't use. I think the nutrient she wold be concerned about would be mostly calcium. It's pretty sunny where we live, and I've talked with her about D and sunshine. We do eat eggs, so b12 probably isn't an issue. Why not just ask the MD? Most likely you are already using foods that have whatever the MD is concerned about, and all you'd have to do would be to show that.
I've also noticed that commercially produced almond milk has very little nutrition, other than what is added. I can never figure out how you go from such an amazing food to one practically devoid of value with what ought to be a relatively simple process.
- › Barefoot Running 19 minutes ago
- › Unassisted birth and legal concerns 24 minutes ago
- › Our baby girl is here! 24 minutes ago
- › Am I crazy for not wanting to put my kid in the gifted program? 27 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 27 minutes ago
- › Stupid vent. Shower planning. I shouldn't care... 27 minutes ago
- › Is Fels Naptha natural? 29 minutes ago
- › St.John's Trash to treasure Swap 2014 31 minutes ago
- › Free riding behavior and vaccination 31 minutes ago
- › Finding the right amount of structure 32 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool