During my last pregnancy, I tested positive for Group B strep, and went forward with a OOH birth center birth without IV antibiotics, which worked very well for me (41 weeks, no AROM until I was pushing, baby born less than 15 min later, perfect APGAR at birth and 5 min).
Before the GBS test, I will be making sure to get plenty of probiotics in my diet, etc.
I would also like to take a home test or "off-the-record" test for GBS before the one that I am given at the clinic. Although I know these results will be earlier than are truly useful, I would like to know if that test comes back positive or not. I would like to use Hibiclens for the "official" test, which I know gives me a very good chance of passing the test, however, would not actually preclude the presence of GBS.
If I am able to get an earlier result, my plan is to basically use the Hibiclens protocol to ensure a negative result on the "official" test, but if my earlier result was negative, to simply continue with a probiotic-rich diet, etc., until birth. However, if the earlier test were positive, I am trying to decide whether or not I am comfortable with using only Hibiclens in a hospital setting, and whether I would even use it to "pass" the test. If I did make that decision, I would use Hibiclens during labor as well, knowing that I had been GBS positive during my pregnancy. Because I'm not certain how comfortable I am with the Hibiclens, I would prefer to have some idea of my status, rather than just assuming that I am positive again with this pregnancy and continuing Hibiclens when I have no "real" data either way.
Is there an option in the US for testing that would not necessarily be accessible to a primary care provider? It would be nice if it were a semi-professional option, so that if testing is negative and I do happen to go into labor before results were available from my GBS test, I could bring in my own personal testing results in order to avoid IV antibiotics during labor.
Thanks for any advice that you may be able to provide!