So I have just been diagnosed with giardia, and I am currently about 14 weeks pregnant (I've had it pretty much since day one of the preganancy but couldn't get to the specialist until this week). I haven't had a chance to talk with the doctor yet (he's on vacation until Tues), but what he said before the testing was that for intestinal parasites they usually try to delay treatment as long as possible, but they do typically want to treat before the birth to avoid the risk of transmission to the newborn. I don't know if this will still hold for giardia, since some references online seem to suggest that it should only be treated after the birth.
I will of course wait to talk to my doctor before making any decisions about what to do, but in the meantime I thought I might post here in case anyone has been through this (or something similar) before?
It's my understanding that there are not any class A drugs available to treat giardia - there are some class B drugs, and one drug with no assigned class that is not well absorbed from the intestinal lumen and therefore thought to be relatively safe during pregnancy. I feel torn particularly, because the decision to treat or not (or how soon to treat it) seems to hinge on how "bad" I say that my symptoms are. I don't really want to take anything during pregnancy that I am not 99.99% sure is ok, but on the other hand, I'm really fed up with the idea of spending my whole pregnancy with painful intestinal cramps (not to mention embarrassing emergency runs to the bathroom where I may not quite make it in time). I can suck it up and make it through if I have to, but I just can't figure out if I really have to. I'm also not so sure that it is that great for the baby to have giardia (and the accompanying diarrhea, rashes, and malabsorption) for the whole duration of my pregnancy - there doesn't seem to be any evidence of harm to the fetus (as long as I don't get really dehydrated), but there isn't definitive proof that there are no longer term negative consequences either, any more than there is definitive proof that the class B drugs won't do any harm.
Is there anyone out there who has had this or a similar issue that would be willing to share what and how you decided what to do?
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post!