or Connect
Mothering › Groups › September 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Hudson James's Birth Story

Hudson James's Birth Story

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

I posted on FB that he arrived, but am just now making it here :)

This is c&p from my blog.


The Birth Story of Hudson James

I woke up around six am with what seemed to be very mild contractions. I didn’t bother timing them and just dozed while Jason got ready for work. Before he left, I jokingly told him he might have to come home early – mentioning my contractions, but I wasn’t serious. I figured I would get up and they would go away. After all, my last labor was days long and I was still 15 days before my due date.


Jason left for work, so I got up at 7. The girls were already awake and happily reading books on the couch, so I got to work on my to do list for the day. I started the tea kettle for coffee, then put the shower curtain in the washing machine and started scrubbing and cleaning the tiles in the shower– a job that’s been on my “before baby” list for a while. Happy with my cleaning progress after half an hour, I called the girls to the table for breakfast and poured my coffee. While walking to the kitchen for bowls, I felt a weird pop in my belly. I wondered if it could be my water, but nothing happened, so we ate our cereal. Twenty minutes later, however, I knew it had been my water. It gushed everywhere. I had Eleanore grab my phone and told her the baby was on the way. She gave me a big grin and was so excited.


It was now 8 am and I immediately called Jason to tell him to come home now, and then called my mom to tell her to get ready to head up. I really thought at that point that it was still too early. I didn’t think I was in labor and would end up with an induction because I was group b strep positive, but I did sit down to start timing my contractions. I was rather shocked to realize they were already two minutes apart. I texted Jason to hurry and called the midwife. It was Lorie Pender on call. She expressed her concern that Jason wasn’t home yet and I was so far along, and she asked me if I thought I should call an ambulance or if there was another hospital closer to our house. I told her I really didn’t want to birth there, so she said to make sure to remain sitting down while I waited so that gravity wouldn’t move things along more quickly and that she would see me soon.


I started needing to “hum” through my contractions, but was still handling them fine even though they were picking up. Jason’s mom was on her way over, so I had Eleanore find clothes for me and grab a few things for my bag. She was such a huge help and remained so calm. After a crazy drive home (he will have to share those details), Jason arrived at the same time as his mom. I stood up for the first time in more than half an hour and was so upset when I gushed water all over my skirt and shoes. I started crying and said I couldn’t leave without changing. I kept saying how embarrassed I was. Jason could see that I was further along than I could even realize, and panicking, pulled me to the truck. Eleanore rushed to get a step stool to help me get in and away we drove – faster than we should have, but Jason really didn’t want to deliver the baby.


I moaned and hummed through my contractions as Jason drove like a wild man. He even asked cars to let us in front of them while stopped at a light and blared his horn to get someone to let us pass at one point. We pulled into the hospital around 9:15 am. Looking back, I realize now that I was in transition at that point. The contractions were doubling up, and I complained about everything. I told the attendant I did not like his chair as he pushed me to L&D. I felt like they took forever at the check-in desk as I moaned continuously through contractions, but finally I was pushed to my room where nurses were getting set up. I was losing control at that point and remember yelling about how uncomfortable the chair was. They asked me to get on the bed, but I wanted to stand, so I put my arms around Jason and kept trying to squat. He thought I was falling on the floor and kept trying to pull me up which made me mad. My body started to take over and I was feeling myself push.


I complained about the pressure and one of the nurses told me she was going to check me, but I demanded the midwife. I knew a baby was coming soon. Then I complained about the lights and the bed. Lorie arrived and checked me and I complained about that, too, and yelled for her to get out. I was dilated to ten with a slight lip that I could push through. The nurses said something about an IV because of my group b strep, but Lorie said it was too late.


The pressure and pain was insane, but I wanted the baby OUT at that point and started pushing fast. Lorie had to tell me to slow down and she gave me a small incision where I was going to majorly tear. A total of three contractions and I felt a huge relief as the baby slid out and I heard a cry. I started crying, too. I couldn’t believe it was over. It was 9:28 am. I had just gotten up 2 1/2 hours ago. I heard Jason say, “It’s a boy!” and I was in shock. We were convinced it was a girl and hadn’t given it a second thought. It took us a few days to be sure of his name, but Hudson James Youd was born August 26 at 9:28 am after a less than 2 1/2 hour labor. 7 lbs 3 oz and 20 inches long.


I never did drink that coffee, but the shower is clean.


post #2 of 20
Wow! What a quick labor. Contrats to you and your family. He's adorable!
post #3 of 20

What an amazing birth story; congratulations! He is such a cute wee boy.

post #4 of 20

Awesome! He's beautiful. Fast labors can be so, so intense and tough, eh? You did it!!  I hope you have a lovely babymoon. 

Oh, PS-I used to work with Lorie at UofM when she was an OB RN. Small world! :)

post #5 of 20
Amazing story! He's beautiful!
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by haurelia View Post

Awesome! He's beautiful. Fast labors can be so, so intense and tough, eh? You did it!!  I hope you have a lovely babymoon. 
Oh, PS-I used to work with Lorie at UofM when she was an OB RN. Small world! smile.gif

Oh wow! Definitely a small world smile.gif Lorie delivered my second baby, too, who had a MUCH different birth (3 days admitted in labor and pushing for 8+ hours).
post #7 of 20
Love this! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations.
post #8 of 20

Lovely story.  And what a cute little boy.  Congratulations!!

post #9 of 20
Congratulations! That's an intense birth story! He's so cute!
post #10 of 20

He is beautiful!!!! Congratulations!

post #11 of 20
Wow, that was fast! Welcome Hudson!
post #12 of 20

Thanks for sharing your story. And welcome Hudson James! Those wool longies are too cute. Congratulations!

post #13 of 20

He's so round and looks so soft! Beautiful.


Wow, your labor sounds intense.



post #14 of 20
What a beautiful baby! He's perfect- like a little doll. Amazing birth story, thanks for sharing! smile.gif
post #15 of 20
A great birth story with such a little cutie for an ending 😊
post #16 of 20
Fast and furious!! My 2nd birth was exactly the same length as yours. They sound very similar. It's like your done before you realize you started.

Your little boy is beautiful! Congradulations!!!
post #17 of 20

Wow! That was so fast! I thought it was going to end with baby being delivered on the side of the road. Good thing you made it to the hospital.


He's beautiful. Congratulations!

post #18 of 20

Congrats!! What an amazing story. He is beautiful and I love his name!! 

post #19 of 20
Congratulations! He's adorable! Wonderful birth story!
post #20 of 20

Welcome Hudson!  What a cutie!  And what a birth story!  I'm so amazed at those of you having ultra-short labors - it's nice to know that's a possibility :)  Wishing you all the best in your recovery and bonding with each other!

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: September 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › September 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Hudson James's Birth Story