My Spanish textbook will actually come in handy in keeping my Spanish handy as well as for the free Spanish classes that my work teaches weekly. So I actually do think it's a good investment for that one.
- topicFrugalitytagged by thatgirliknew, 9/4/13
Related Forum Threads
- Stocking stuffers Last post on Yesterday at 1:21 pm in Frugality & Finances
- December Spend-Less Challenge: Let's Fill Our Stockings with Pinched Pennies! Last post on Today at 8:15 am in Frugality & Finances
- got a food item sitting around? Want tips on how to use it? MINE IS CHICK PEAS Last post on 12/3/13 at 11:53pm in Frugality & Finances
- homeschooling on public assistance Last post on 11/30/13 at 9:43am in Frugality & Finances
- Any Guesses? Last post on 11/22/13 at 5:49am in Frugality & Finances
Last edited: 3/15/13
- Frugalitie$Last edited: 3/20/13
- Frugality And Finances ResourcesLast edited: 5/2/13
Buy Nothing (New) - Page 2post #21 of 319/9/13 at 8:31amThread Starterpost #22 of 319/25/13 at 1:13pm
I get a lot of great stuff from the free table at our town dump. Most of my kids' toys and books come from there. I also sometimes get new in package things I can use as gifts,especially in the week after Christmas. I got a stroller and bouncy seat for our baby on the way and I even found an extra stroller to bring to the consignment shop. Oh and sometimes I find things I can sell on Craigslist.post #23 of 319/25/13 at 7:16pm
I am happy with used books (my town has the BEST bookstore, new and used, in the whole, wide world!), but I also buy Kindle books, all too often. While it is good not to use trees, I feel guilty to not be supporting independent booksellers. But buying used doesn't support the authors. Not to mention, I am on a first name basis with the whole staff at the local library.
Oh, the dilemma! What to do, what to do?post #24 of 319/25/13 at 8:05pm
We tend to buy 85% of our clothing used, thrift stores, online or free clothing swaps. I love our local Goodwill. 50% off on color tag of the week and on Tuesdays that color are $1.
I've found I can get the cheapest used books at our local library's re-sell room.
For kids toys we tend to go for high quality toys. Over the summer I purchased Snap circuit kits used and erector sets used form a homeschool family we know. They were in great shape and I gave them to my daughter for her birthday.
For my younger daughter we purchased an American Girl Doll, used but in fantastic shape. I have a friend who repairs them so she kept an eye out in our budget range and then made it look brand new. I saved 75%.
Additionally we do handmade or trade an barter for things.post #25 of 319/27/13 at 9:04pmpost #26 of 319/29/13 at 11:56ampost #27 of 319/30/13 at 11:23amI went and got me 4 pairs of jeans from the thrift store, they were about 3 a pair. And we also bought 4 Pyrex baking dishes for $5 each. I was happy!
I have no clue what to do for Christmas, my older DS has everything a kid could want. So much that we don't have room for all his stuff. My younger DS will get all of the toys DS1 had so he does not need anything, and then 2 days after Christmas is his first birthday. I am so stressed over it!post #28 of 319/30/13 at 5:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by Pogo0685
I went and got me 4 pairs of jeans from the thrift store, they were about 3 a pair. And we also bought 4 Pyrex baking dishes for $5 each. I was happy!
I have no clue what to do for Christmas, my older DS has everything a kid could want. So much that we don't have room for all his stuff. My younger DS will get all of the toys DS1 had so he does not need anything, and then 2 days after Christmas is his first birthday. I am so stressed over it!
Can you give 'experiences' like zoo memberships, swim lessons, things like that. I also love to get DS consumables - art supplies, gourmet shower soap, new tooth brush, etc.post #29 of 3110/2/13 at 6:59amQuote:
We did that last year and for his birthday so we have family memberships to everywhere in town that wont expire until February and March of next year... We are possibly moving also so we are just so lost as to what to do. Its a great suggestion though! Thanks!post #30 of 3110/5/13 at 11:20am
How about consumables then. Art supplies, outside toys that seem to always need replacements (snow toys?) sidewalk chalk, bath toys, fancy soap, fun tooth brushes, new pool towels and toys if you go swimming alot, if you watch TV, christmas is a great time to get new DVD"s and BOOKS! coloring books, reading books etc.
YOu can make a 'craft box' for the kids - fill it with pipe cleaners, pom poms, paints,buttons, feathers, thick chunky papers, glue and let them have a great time.post #31 of 3110/5/13 at 9:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by Pogo0685
Very inspiring! I wish we had better thrift stores, we almost never go to yard sales but we should. Our thrift store is horrible. Things there cost more than new. I was looking for cast iron pans last weekend and they were $25 and very rusty and needed a lot of work they were brand new at the store for $20. I hate buying new but I cant justify $5 extra dollars for a rusty used pan.
Where were was the new ones made versus the old?
- › 12 y/o unschooler needs math book suggestions 44 seconds ago
- › It's a...... 1 minute ago
- › Natural Hair Conditioner for Toddler? 5 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 5 minutes ago
- › SIL wont let my kids see her newborn 12 minutes ago
- › Requesting a tiny bit of support... or a smack on the head 19 minutes ago
- › Behaviour Help for HFA 3 yo 22 minutes ago
- › Am I overreacting? 24 minutes ago
- › stuff and feeling bad getting rid of it 25 minutes ago
- › Welcome! Introduce yourself! 26 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by dangill
- › The Night Before Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snow Queen by Melanie Mayo
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snowy Day by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Monica S
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo