or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Vaccination: A Mythical History
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vaccination: A Mythical History - Page 6

post #101 of 141
Thread Starter 

When you say "certain exemptions", you're referring to medical exemptions only, right?

What about religious and philosophical? It was my understanding that Offit wanted to remove those exemptions.

post #102 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

 

While I don't agree with him on the point of removing certain exemptions, there is a difference between mandatory and compulsory vaccination.  

 

Where has he said that he thinks all adults should be forced by law to get vaccinated against their will? I'd be interested in seeing a source for that claim.  

Want to explain the difference between mandatory and compulsory to me? :dizzy I'm clueless here!

 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mandatory     required by a law or rule

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compulsory     mandatoryenforced

 

 

ah, where is the link that says he doesn't feel adults should NOT be forced? I read it, IF you fully vaccinate children they grow up to be fully vaccinated adults, remove exemptions - that is FORCE  or is it just a walk in the park?? :dizzy again, I'm clueless how you remove exemptions and not say it's FORCE? please explain this to me! (other's too might want to know)

 

 

 

 

 

I want to know tea's answer too to Becky's question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post
 

When you say "certain exemptions", you're referring to medical exemptions only, right?

What about religious and philosophical? It was my understanding that Offit wanted to remove those exemptions.

 
post #103 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
 

Want to explain the difference between mandatory and compulsory to me? :dizzy I'm clueless here!

 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mandatory     required by a law or rule

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compulsory     mandatoryenforced

 

 

ah, where is the link that says he doesn't feel adults should NOT be forced? I read it, IF you fully vaccinate children they grow up to be fully vaccinated adults, remove exemptions - that is FORCE  or is it just a walk in the park?? :dizzy again, I'm clueless how you remove exemptions and not say it's FORCE? please explain this to me! (other's too might want to know)

 

 

 

 

 

I want to know tea's answer too to Becky's question

 

Sure. Here's an explanation of what I mean: 

 

"...Dr. Offit convincingly argues that mandatory vaccination, which is what we have in the U.S., is far more effective (than compulsory vaccination) .Mandatory, in contrast to compulsory vaccination, requires vaccination as a precondition for using certain public services, specifically the public schools. The message is that you don’t have to vaccinate you kids if you really don’t want to. No one from the government is going to come around and fine you or force you to vaccinate them, as what happened in England in the middle and latter parts of the 19th century. However, if you don’t vaccinate there’s a price to pay. If you don’t vaccinate, your kids can’t go to public school because they would then have the potential to bring disease there and serve as the nidus for epidemics. "  http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/deadly-choices-about-vaccination/

 

"ah, where is the link that says he doesn't feel adults should NOT be forced?"  You are the one that made the claim. It's not up to me to disprove it, its up to you to prove it.  

 

"I want to know tea's answer too to Becky's question"  I'm not really sure what her question was.  Yes, Offit thinks the only exemptions that should be allowed for public school are medical exemptions. Is that the question? No snark I really don't know what she was asking. 


Edited by teacozy - 10/17/13 at 8:25pm
post #104 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

 

Sure. Here's an explanation of what I mean: 

 

"...Dr. Offit convincingly argues that mandatory vaccination, which is what we have in the U.S., is far more effective (than compulsory vaccination) .Mandatory, in contrast to compulsory vaccination, requires vaccination as a precondition for using certain public services, specifically the public schools. The message is that you don’t have to vaccinate you kids if you really don’t want to. WRONG! No one from the government is going to come around and fine you or force you to vaccinate them, as what happened in England in the middle and latter parts of the 19th century. However, if you don’t vaccinate there’s a price to pay. If you don’t vaccinate, your kids can’t go to public school because they would then have the potential to bring disease there and serve as the nidus for epidemics. "  http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/deadly-choices-about-vaccination/

 

Nope! WRONG, 100% off in your "logic"..... reality is much different  - Just look at PA (where I live and where He is - My home-educated child NEVER will enter a public OR PRIVATE (same laws apply here- doesn't mean govt connected!!)- YET MUST be vaccinated! Per PA laws - As of now I  can still take an exemption (one he wants to get rid of)

-http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/immunizations/14141/school_children_immunizations/

 

12) In addition to the immunizations listed in number 11 above, the following immunizations are required at any public, private, parochial, non-public, including vocational, intermediate units, special education and home education students and students of cyber and charter schools in this commonwealth for students entering the seventh grade; or, in an ungraded class for students in the school year when the student is 12 years of age: 

 

need MORE? How about a state that does not allow ANY exemptions - parents aren't being FORCED there right??

http://www.dhhr.wv.gov/OEPS/IMMUNIZATION/REQUIREMENTS/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.msdh.state.ms.us/msdhsite/_static/41,0,71,303.html

 

I know this link has been show to your prior - maybe you should really read it this time - http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx  Glad to see that you really don't live in reality and don't know parents are FORCED in areas within the US, to vaccinate their children, and that adults are ever increasing to have to choose between their job or vaccinating them selves. 

 

You must have also missed the "fining" part  - http://abcnews.go.com/Health/US/story?id=3866502

 

Those who fail to appear face fines of $50 a day and up to 10 days in jail.

 

 

 

"ah, where is the link that says he doesn't feel adults should NOT be forced?"  You are the one that made the claim. It's not up to me to disprove it, its up to you to prove it.  

 

You can't see the truth in what is happening to children, you understand what I wrote either - maybe you should look into what he did to the ADULT staff at the hospitable where he works- flu vaccine!  This is from Offit's Children's Hosp. site  - http://www.chop.edu/service/vaccine-education-center/vaccine-considerations.html

 

http://www.amednews.com/article/20130408/profession/130409953/5/

When workers must get vaccinated

Does this state of affairs provide justification for requiring vaccination for all health care workers? Mandatory influenza vaccination policies have proliferated since Virginia Mason Medical Center first instituted a mandate in 2004. Under that mandate, vaccination was considered a part of fitness for duty, and vaccine refusal resulted in termination of employment in the absence of a medical or religious exemption. Since then, hospitals and health care systems in 45 states have implemented some kind of institutional mandatory policy.

Mandatory policies vary in their demands and penalties. They range from the completion of a written declination form with a penalty such as wearing a mask during influenza season or receipt of a below-expectations report in a performance evaluation to vaccination as a condition of continued employment unless there is a valid, doctor-certified medical exemption.

 

"I want to know tea's answer too to Becky's question"  I'm not really sure what her question was.  Yes, Offit thinks the only exemptions that should be allowed for public school are medical exemptions. Is that the question? No snark I really don't know what she was asking.

 

REALLY? and how does one get a medical vaccine when the goal post keeps being moved by this man????

 

It would really help you if you got your "information" from real sources - like real state laws and not PRO vaccine sites where Offit has his hand in it, what really is happening to real parents.

 

Edited by serenbat - 10/18/13 at 5:40am
post #105 of 141

I just wanted to clarify Serenbat's excellent answer to teacozy, since it looks like her phone/computer/whatever is having trouble with the quote function. )I'm having trouble myself with the quote thing, but I think I've found a workaround.)

 

Anyway, serenbat's answer clearly shows how RIDICULOUSLY wrong teacozy's argument (and "science-based medicine's" argument) really is:

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

 

Sure. Here's an explanation of what I mean: 

 

"...Dr. Offit convincingly argues that mandatory vaccination, which is what we have in the U.S., is far more effective (than compulsory vaccination) .Mandatory, in contrast to compulsory vaccination, requires vaccination as a precondition for using certain public services, specifically the public schools. The message is that you don’t have to vaccinate you kids if you really don’t want to. No one from the government is going to come around and fine you or force you to vaccinate them, as what happened in England in the middle and latter parts of the 19th century. However, if you don’t vaccinate there’s a price to pay. If you don’t vaccinate, your kids can’t go to public school because they would then have the potential to bring disease there and serve as the nidus for epidemics. "  http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/deadly-choices-about-vaccination/

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenbat View Post

Nope! WRONG, 100% off in your "logic"..... reality is much different  - Just look at PA (where I live and where He is - My home-educated child NEVER will enter a public OR PRIVATE (same laws apply here- doesn't mean govt connected!!)- YET MUST be vaccinated! Per PA laws - As of now I  can still take an exemption (one he wants to get rid of)

-http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/immunizations/14141/school_children_immunizations/

 

12) In addition to the immunizations listed in number 11 above, the following immunizations are required at any public, private, parochial, non-public, including vocational, intermediate units, special education and home education students and students of cyber and charter schools in this commonwealth for students entering the seventh grade; or, in an ungraded class for students in the school year when the student is 12 years of age: 

 

need MORE? How about a state that does not allow ANY exemptions - parents aren't being FORCED there right??

http://www.dhhr.wv.gov/OEPS/IMMUNIZATION/REQUIREMENTS/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.msdh.state.ms.us/msdhsite/_static/41,0,71,303.html

 

I know this link has been show to your prior - maybe you should really read it this time - http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx  Glad to see that you really don't live in reality and don't know parents are FORCED in areas within the US, to vaccinate their children, and that adults are ever increasing to have to choose between their job or vaccinating them selves. 

 

You must have also missed the "fining" part  - http://abcnews.go.com/Health/US/story?id=3866502

 

Those who fail to appear face fines of $50 a day and up to 10 days in jail.

 

 

 

 

post #106 of 141
Thanks:joy
post #107 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
 

 

It would really help you if you got your "information" from real sources - like real state laws and not PRO vaccine sites where Offit has his hand in it, what really is happening to real parents.

 

 

Thanks for the links. As far as the article about parent's getting fined in Maryland, I got the impression that those were not parents who were against vaccines for their children. I got the impression that those were parents who just dropped the ball on either getting their children vaccinated OR filing the proper exemption. Maryland allows for religious and medical exemptions. (http://phpa.dhmh.maryland.gov/OIDEOR/IMMUN/Shared%20Documents/896_form.pdf)   I personally don't feel that it is unreasonable for a school to require one or the other. The school needs to know which students are vaccinated and which ones aren't in case of an outbreak. It can't just be a free for all. What if there is a student with a medical condition that could make, say, contracting measles deadly?  

 

I've read several quotes and articles on Offit and I have never heard him argue that home schoolers should be required to vaccinate.  He has always said "children that go to school" should only be able to file medical exemptions. 

 

"I'm going to draw the legal distinction between compulsory vaccination and mandatory vaccination. Compulsory vaccination, which we don't do anymore in this country but was done to some extent in the early 1900s, is you force someone to get a vaccine. That's not true anymore. We have mandatory vaccination, which is to say that if you choose not to get a vaccine, that you pay a societal cost, which can be, for example, not being allowed to go to school. So we have mandatory vaccination in this country. You can choose not to get it. " Paul Offit  http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/vaccines/interviews/offit.html (I actually think this was a great interview he did that covered a lot of ground for those who are interested) 

 

The states (state?) that require vaccinations for home schooling *also* have exemptions.  On the flip side, the two states that only accept medical exemptions don't require vaccines for home schooling.  So, again, this isn't a case of the government coming to your door, holding you child down and vaccinating them against your will. (barring some custody issue) 

post #108 of 141
Thread Starter 

As if kicking unvaccinated kids out of public school will keep the vaccinated kids safe. Unvaccinated kids still go to amusement parks, restaurants, stores, gyms, playgrounds, museums, etc.  Unvaccinated adults, or adults behind on boosters, are also everywhere. Removing exemptions from schools will not help--it is just a way to punish parents and children. Most parents cannot homeschool for one reason or another, and rely on public school for their children.

Also, parents of unvaccinated kids pay taxes, which fund public schools, right? How can we be denied access to a school that we pay for in taxes? 

 

Adding: You may not notice or care what is happening, but there is a constant attempt to remove our rights, little by little. We make a big deal about it because once our exemptions are removed, it's only a matter of time before compulsory vaccination is required. Medical exemptions are very difficult to get, and are not even an option for parents like me.

post #109 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post
 

As if kicking unvaccinated kids out of public school will keep the vaccinated kids safe. Unvaccinated kids still go to amusement parks, restaurants, stores, gyms, playgrounds, museums, etc.  Unvaccinated adults, or adults behind on boosters, are also everywhere. Removing exemptions from schools will not help--it is just a way to punish parents and children. Most parents cannot homeschool for one reason or another, and rely on public school for their children.

Also, parents of unvaccinated kids pay taxes, which fund public schools, right? How can we be denied access to a school that we pay for in taxes? 

 

Adding: You may not notice or care what is happening, but there is a constant attempt to remove our rights, little by little. We make a big deal about it because once our exemptions are removed, it's only a matter of time before compulsory vaccination is required. Medical exemptions are very difficult to get, and are not even an option for parents like me.

 

I already stated that I disagree with removing all exemptions. I think parents should be able to make an informed choice on whats best for their children. 

 

"Removing exemptions from schools will not help..." 

 

While I may disagree with removing exemptions, there's no denying that it *does* make child immunization rates go up.  If you look at the percentage of children that are vaccinated in West Virginia (which only allows for medical exemptions) vs the percentage of kids vaccinated in more lax states like Oregon or Colorado it's pretty clear that it does work. 

post #110 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 
 

I already stated that I disagree with removing all exemptions. I think parents should be able to make an informed choice on whats best for their children. 

 

"Removing exemptions from schools will not help..." 

 

While I may disagree with removing exemptions, there's no denying that it *does* make child immunization rates go up.  If you look at the percentage of children that are vaccinated in West Virginia (which only allows for medical exemptions) vs the percentage of kids vaccinated in more lax states like Oregon or Colorado it's pretty clear that it does work. 

 

So what? And where are all the measles, mumps and rubella cases in Boulder County, CO? The only VADs that are more prevalent in Boulder, are pertussis, and we all know the vaccine is less than optimal* (that's being nice) and chickenpox. Oh, and I can assure you Colorado is not 'lax', when it comes to vaccination, they push hard with all the same propaganda as all the other states to get their vaccine rates up and their exemption rates down.

 

ETA: Here is a link form April 2013, on the 63 pertussis cases in Boulder CO for the year to [that] date, not surprisingly 49 are in the 10 to 19 age group. Vaccine fail?


Edited by Mirzam - 10/18/13 at 11:18am
post #111 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

 

Thanks for the links. As far as the article about parent's getting fined in Maryland, I got the impression that those were not parents who were against vaccines for their children. I got the impression that those were parents who just dropped the ball on either getting their children vaccinated OR filing the proper exemption. Maryland allows for religious and medical exemptions. (http://phpa.dhmh.maryland.gov/OIDEOR/IMMUN/Shared%20Documents/896_form.pdf)   I personally don't feel that it is unreasonable for a school to require one or the other. So this means.........$$$ to you- what is "the OTHER"???????The school needs to know which students are vaccinated and which ones aren't in case of an outbreak. It can't just be a free for all. What if there is a student with a medical condition that could make, say, contracting measles deadly?  

 

I've read several quotes and articles on Offit and I have never heard him argue that home schoolers should be required to vaccinate.  He has always said "children that go to school" should only be able to file medical exemptions. AGAIN- you obviously didn't read the link I posted - he isn't talking in it about SCHOOL when he talks about the two families - there children were not even school age! You only seem to want to read/hear what suits you. 

 

"I'm going to draw the legal distinction between compulsory vaccination and mandatory vaccination. Compulsory vaccination, which we don't do anymore in this country but was done to some extent in the early 1900s, is you force someone to get a vaccine. That's not true anymore. We have mandatory vaccination, which is to say that if you choose not to get a vaccine, that you pay a societal cost, which can be, for example, not being allowed to go to school. So we have mandatory vaccination in this country. You can choose not to get it. " Paul Offit  http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/vaccines/interviews/offit.html (I actually think this was a great interview he did that covered a lot of ground for those who are interested) 

 

The states (state?) that require vaccinations for home schooling *also* have exemptions. YOU added the "s"... AGAIN! in PA he want's to end this THAT would make PA have ONE-plural not with an "S"- means my choice is ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!       please read because you keep wanting to put words in his mount - how about read what he wrote and what I posted?  On the flip side, the two states that only accept medical exemptions don't require vaccines for home schooling. BUT that gives parents in those TWO states ONE choice if the send their child to school----ONE!!!! Do you even understand what a medical exemption is? So, again, this isn't a case of the government coming to your door, holding you child down and vaccinating them against your will. (barring some custody issue) 

Well you seem to once again not understand this - in PA (and if you did some reading of what I posted or even dare look farther into this) you would see that Offit is NOT talking just about "school" aged and or in a "school setting" - he DIRECTLY refers to two families - BOTH have/had children that were not even at compulsory school age--------ALSO in PA (where he is talking about eliminating the religious exemption, you should know (doubt you care because you seem to have a total lack of "caring" and or understanding for parents that face this) that the PA Dept of Education, in conjunction with the Dept of Health, that issues the requirements for compulsory education does not discriminate between home and school education-thus it would only allow a medical exemption.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
 

 

So what? And where are all the measles, mumps and rubella cases in Boulder County, CO? The only VADs that are more prevalent in Boulder, are pertussis, and we all know the vaccine is less than optimal (that's being nice) and chickenpox. Oh, and I can assure you Colorado is not 'lax', when it comes to vaccination, they push hard with all the same propaganda as all the other states to get their vaccine rates up and their exemption rates down.

 
:yeah

Any clue here tea on how one gets a medical exemption????  What are the basics for having a child get a medical exemption? So choice is really FORCE isn't it? Get a child that is very ill or one that has a reaction and start the process because that keeps it up for the heard - as others have said in the past, guess it's OK for some that other children take the hit!

 

ETA- in PA we also have child care facilities within public school (in Vocational school, etc) so a 2month old could need an exemption - infants, not just "school aged" are at risk of loosing and hey, most parents of a newborn are quite clueless at 2months to know if their child has a severe reactions to eggs or not, so yea, they can't just do the "medical" exemption - that would mean if Offit had his way - they would be FORCED to vaccinate and left with no other options had they needed to use a certain facility - fair-right???


Edited by serenbat - 10/18/13 at 3:06pm
post #112 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post
 

When you say "certain exemptions", you're referring to medical exemptions only, right?

What about religious and philosophical? It was my understanding that Offit wanted to remove those exemptions.

Never did hear about this - are you replying to this tea? What exactly are "certain exemptions" in your logic?

 

Are you working to help the parents in WV & Miss that don't have other choices?

post #113 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
 
 

Never did hear about this - are you replying to this tea? What exactly are "certain exemptions" in your logic?

 

Are you working to help the parents in WV & Miss that don't have other choices?

 

:rotflmaoI doubt it.

post #114 of 141

It's worth adding that even children who have a medical exemption from one doctor might be denied its renewal from another doctor.  Medical exemptions must be renewed every year. An older, more experienced doctor might recognize a serious adverse vaccine reaction and write an exemption, while a younger, less experienced doctor (who has coincidentally been trained to believe that measles is a life-threatening disease for all children) will pooh-pooh the idea.

 

Meanwhile, in New York, a judge has turned down a child's medical exemption because the mother first applied for a religious exemption.http://www.supportmarysrights.com/meet-mary.html

 

Obviously, there is something very, very wrong with the idea that children should be vaccinated UNTIL they have a terrible reaction. Parents should have the right to opt out of any and all invasive procedures on a healthy child, without having to sacrifice sending their child to the public school that they have already paid for with their taxes.

post #115 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post
 

 

Obviously, there is something very, very wrong with the idea that children should be vaccinated UNTIL they have a terrible reaction. Parents should have the right to opt out of any and all invasive procedures on a healthy child, without having to sacrifice sending their child to the public school that they have already paid for with their taxes.

:yeah

post #116 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

I already stated that I disagree with removing all exemptions. I think parents should be able to make an informed choice on whats best for their children. 

"Removing exemptions from schools will not help..." 

While I may disagree with removing exemptions, there's no denying that it *does* make child immunization rates go up.  If you look at the percentage of children that are vaccinated in West Virginia (which only allows for medical exemptions) vs the percentage of kids vaccinated in more lax states like Oregon or Colorado it's pretty clear that it does work. 

But it's tempting to assume that this is because once a law gets passed to take parents' rights away, non-compliant parents just throw up their hands and say, "OK! I guess we have to vaccinate fully. Off to the doctor . . . "

I don't have the link anymore, but the Vermont Coalition for Vaccine Choice interviewed over 200 "non-compliant" parents asking what they would do if Sen. Till's bill passed removing non-medical exemptions for DTaP. Only 3 parents said they would cave and vaccinate their kids. Three.

Restrictive exemption laws not only erode away at trust in public health systems, but they also displace non-vaxxing and alterna-vaxxing families; these parents end up homeschooling or even leaving the state. Then, while state health departments cite data on children enrolling in schools and pat themselves on the back for "increasing immunization rates," families displaced by exemption barriers form those evil, dreaded "clusters of unvaccinated" individuals. There are a lot of factors not accounted for in school enrollment data.
post #117 of 141

Serenbat, it's ironic that you keep asking me to answer question after question while you still haven't provided a link to the claim that Offit thinks all adults should be forced to get vaccinated. An adult needs many vaccines to be considered up to date. Tetanus, for example. Pertussis boosters are another example. The annual Flu vaccine is yet another. So please, show me the source.  

 

Oftentimes when I type a response I will come back several hours later and sometimes see 4 or 5 responses to my one post. I don't have the time or desire to answer every question in every thread of every response and it's not required of me to do so.  So unless you can find a forum rule or guideline that I somehow missed that states one must respond to every question asked in every thread, please stop. It's immature and annoying. 

post #118 of 141
Wrong once again tea- I did respond - Offit states clearly he supports adults being vaccinated - haven't you read- since you seem to be his #1 cheerleader haven't you gotten your subscriptions to all his writing ? Most can not be linked because you must have access to the web site- punned files. He was and is the driving force for adult medical workers mandatory flu vac. All these can be gotten to off the link I DID provide - start with the hospital site and go under the professional section and if one sings up to access them they can directly read them. If one does sign up to access them they can read his direct words instead of the links you provided that are only what others SAY he said.

Still waiting to see your answers.
post #119 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

Wrong once again tea- I did respond - Offit states clearly he supports adults being vaccinated - haven't you read- since you seem to be his #1 cheerleader haven't you gotten your subscriptions to all his writing ? Most can not be linked because you must have access to the web site- punned files. He was and is the driving force for adult medical workers mandatory flu vac. All these can be gotten to off the link I DID provide - start with the hospital site and go under the professional section and if one sings up to access them they can directly read them. If one does sign up to access them they can read his direct words instead of the links you provided that are only what others SAY he said.

Still waiting to see your answers.

 

"Supporting" adults getting vaccinated is VERY different than mandating or forcing it. I "support" the idea that adults should get a pertussis booster if they are going to be around infants but I don't think they should be held down and forced to against their will. Your original claim was that you believe he wants vaccines mandated for every adult except himself. Healthcare workers are not every adult. They make up a small percentage of the adult population.  So again, you haven't provided any sources where he says he thinks ALL adults should be forced against their will to get vaccinated (except him). 

post #120 of 141

Well, he did say this:

 

"Hi; my name is Paul Offit, and I'm talking to you today from the Division of Infectious Diseases at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. What I'd like to talk about is our experience last year with influenza vaccine, because we took an unusual step. We actually mandated the vaccine, not only for healthcare workers, but for all employees, and the deal was that if you didn't want to get the vaccine, you had 2 weeks of unpaid leave to think about it. If you still didn't want to get the vaccine, then you were asked to step down from your position."   http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/728352

 

So, even an admin in payroll who rarely comes in contact with a child has to vaccinate or be fired.  

 

I am not sure why we are focusing on adults, though.  Offitt does want mandatory vaccines for almost all children.  He has been very clear about that.  If (as is being speculated on this thread and as his words suggest) he would choose to skip a small pox vaccine because he does not think the benefits  outweigh the risks, then he is being a hypocrit:  non-vaxxing parents do not think the benefits of vaxxing outweigh not vaxxing, yet he would like to have our choice taken away.  


Edited by kathymuggle - 10/19/13 at 11:10am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations Debate
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Vaccination: A Mythical History