I'm looking to either become a birth doula or a CBE ... or possibly both. I'm trying to decide on the best path forward. I have had 5 births, all in hospitals with different levels of interventions, 2 with epidurals that never took and was left without pain relief, the last two midwife delivered births - completely natural and awesome births. I'm very passionate about support and education for the mom to empower her in her decisions surrounding the birth. I'm not sure what the best route would be for me to become a CBE or labor/birth doula. I've looked into DONA, CAPPA and ICEA. Any opinions or help?
- topicDoula Programstagged by Adamsmama, 9/8/13
Related Forum Threads
- Hypnodoulas?! Last post on 4/13/14 at 2:16pm in Doulas
- Organizations Supportive/Indifferent to Unassisted Birth Last post on 3/24/14 at 6:43pm in Doulas
- Live vs. Distance training? Only have one live workshop option but not sure if DONA is for me... Last post on 12/30/13 at 9:22am in Doulas
- Anyone familiar with Intuitive Childbirth for doula certification? Last post on 3/24/14 at 6:46pm in Doulas
- not sure what's going on. Last post on 10/20/13 at 5:59am in I'm Pregnant
Becoming a doula...
There's really a lot of factors here. Do you have young children? Do you have someone who can be on-call to watch them while you were attending births if you went the doula route? If not, the CBE path may be best for right now. Are you more interested in helping women learn about birth, and showing them the choices available to them, or supporting them through an empowered birth experience? Are you looking to make money, or mostly to help women? These are all things to consider.
I would suggest first and foremost to find your local birth community and get involved with it. I am in the process of becoming a doula, or I guess I should say at this point I am a doula? I have my first client. I've been taking workshops from a local doula group. At this point, I'm not getting certified. I'm not sure if I'll change my mind on that in the future, but right now it's just money I don't have, especially since I anticipate taking a lot of volunteer/low cost births and not making much money being a doula.
Hey guys! What is a CBE? I was planning on doing the doula certification through DONA but my husband is iffy because we have a five month old and he's worried about who could watch her on call like that. So now I'm interested in the CBE. I'll be googling it!
I had a 26 hour natural birth and want so badly to help others have the same wonderful experience (hopefully not as long though!)
CBE = Childbirth Educator. :) If you are an independent CBE you can set your hours/classes and only take on what you can handle. I did that before becoming a doula and I still love it. Search around and see what CBE program clicks with you. There are loads of them, but my favorites are Bradley, Sacred Pregnancy, Birth Arts International, and I've heard lovely things about Birthing from Within and Hypnobirthing. HTH!
- › Introducing Lauren Nicole! 19 minutes ago
- › Word Association Conga Line 21 minutes ago
- › Dinner - What Are You Having? 22 minutes ago
- › The person below me..... 27 minutes ago
- › Is tech. really good for our children or not? 36 minutes ago
- › hi all 57 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Am I normal? Getting disheartened... 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › Lord of the Rings -- ok for a 10-year-old girl to read on her own? 1 hour, 39 minutes ago
- › Could sex determination be wrong at 12 week sono? 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › 3 Simple Ways to Nurture Yourself by Marcy Axness
- › The Birth of River by Kristen Tea
- › The Never Agains by BrainChild
- › Day in the Life: A Graphical Representation by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Operation Meditation by Brian Leaf
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness