I'm looking to either become a birth doula or a CBE ... or possibly both. I'm trying to decide on the best path forward. I have had 5 births, all in hospitals with different levels of interventions, 2 with epidurals that never took and was left without pain relief, the last two midwife delivered births - completely natural and awesome births. I'm very passionate about support and education for the mom to empower her in her decisions surrounding the birth. I'm not sure what the best route would be for me to become a CBE or labor/birth doula. I've looked into DONA, CAPPA and ICEA. Any opinions or help?
- topicDoula Programstagged by Adamsmama, 9/8/13
Related Forum Threads
- Organizations Supportive/Indifferent to Unassisted Birth Last post on 3/7/14 at 11:28am in Doulas
- Live vs. Distance training? Only have one live workshop option but not sure if DONA is for me... Last post on 12/30/13 at 9:22am in Doulas
- Anyone familiar with Intuitive Childbirth for doula certification? Last post on 2/15/14 at 7:17pm in Doulas
- not sure what's going on. Last post on 10/20/13 at 5:59am in I'm Pregnant
- other certifications and trainings from BAI Last post on 8/29/13 at 11:05pm in Doulas
Becoming a doula...
There's really a lot of factors here. Do you have young children? Do you have someone who can be on-call to watch them while you were attending births if you went the doula route? If not, the CBE path may be best for right now. Are you more interested in helping women learn about birth, and showing them the choices available to them, or supporting them through an empowered birth experience? Are you looking to make money, or mostly to help women? These are all things to consider.
I would suggest first and foremost to find your local birth community and get involved with it. I am in the process of becoming a doula, or I guess I should say at this point I am a doula? I have my first client. I've been taking workshops from a local doula group. At this point, I'm not getting certified. I'm not sure if I'll change my mind on that in the future, but right now it's just money I don't have, especially since I anticipate taking a lot of volunteer/low cost births and not making much money being a doula.
Hey guys! What is a CBE? I was planning on doing the doula certification through DONA but my husband is iffy because we have a five month old and he's worried about who could watch her on call like that. So now I'm interested in the CBE. I'll be googling it!
I had a 26 hour natural birth and want so badly to help others have the same wonderful experience (hopefully not as long though!)
CBE = Childbirth Educator. :) If you are an independent CBE you can set your hours/classes and only take on what you can handle. I did that before becoming a doula and I still love it. Search around and see what CBE program clicks with you. There are loads of them, but my favorites are Bradley, Sacred Pregnancy, Birth Arts International, and I've heard lovely things about Birthing from Within and Hypnobirthing. HTH!
- › Sharing the news 2 minutes ago
- › A pediatrician's different perspective on why he doesn't accept... 2 minutes ago
- › upsetting appointment 3 minutes ago
- › Tick/ lyme disease danger at school! 4 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 8 minutes ago
- › Due Date Roll Call! 11 minutes ago
- › can't find heartbeat on my home doppler 12 minutes ago
- › Christian moms March '14 14 minutes ago
- › Grad Club: Where the group discussion continues after the ONE thread! 17 minutes ago
- › Mumps outbreak in Columbus, OH 21 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild