Help - weird problem. I touched meat...
I've never heard of anything like that. I wouldn't jump to assume is the kid from one occurrence. Perhaps there was some lotion or something that you were allergic too? Or it was a complete coincidence and something else is going on?
I have never eaten meat, but I have touched it with no problem (aside from being a little grossed out).
Did you change the child's diaper? Sometimes I've noticed that improperly washed cloth diapers can have a weird chemical reaction in which fresh urine changes to ammonia very quickly. It can burn the baby's skin and your skin if you're not careful. Maybe your skin had some salt or something on it from the hot dog and then it reacted with ammonia from a diaper? That's all I can think of. Very odd.....
I've never heard of anything like this before being scientifically proven in situations such as you describe. But, it sounded so familiar that I hope you don't mind if I bring something I am familiar with up. I know once I touched what I thought was poison ivy and had an immediate "reaction" similar to what you describe. It never developed into the full blown poison ivy rash that so many of us who live in heavily wooded areas are too used to, but I was oddly "aware" of the area for a while. I found out about a week later that the plant I touched was not poison ivy nor anything toxic, and it most likely was my fear of a reaction that caused the "symptoms."
I've had similar things happen when I thought I had eaten foods to which I am allergic, but found out that I hadn't even come in contact with those foods. (Things like mistaking a piece of almond, to which I am not allergic for a piece of peanut, to which I am allergic and immediately becoming short of breath, wheezing, itching and had my heart pumping at about 150 bpm.) My fears were getting ahead of me and getting the best of me. They symptoms immediately resolved when it was proven that it was NOT a peanut or a shrimp. Hmm.
The same kinds of things have happened to my father, but much more frequently and with more severe "reactions" which often disappear or slowly fade when he realizes he hasn't been poisoned. (But, for some reason he insists on continuing to look for other reasons that he may have been "poisoned" by the most inert things.) Both my father and I have full blow Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, so I understand why we reacted in this way. I also have several cousins (same side of the family) who have fairly severe Eating Disorders who also react in this way to certain things. As there is no physical cause, I can only guess it was a fear reaction. At least in our family, it has been common. Fear can be a potent symptom prompter. I've had to work over these fears, sometimes on my own, sometimes with a professional, to prevent from putting myself into isolation, as my father and some of my cousins have done. It's a slippery slope and can be very pervasive. Avoiding one common thing and then an other and so on and so on. My father, for instance, rarely leaves the house now in fear of coming in contact with his "triggers" and rarely has people over because of his fear of people bringing "poisons" into his home. He's a virtual prisoner in his own home, he requires his wife to "inspect" everything before it's brought into the house, leaves new products in his garage for up to a year to "decontaminate" before he will touch them, and it's heart breaking to watch. I can only see him about once a year, because of this, despite the fact that he only lives 10 miles from me. His example helped me to avoid that eventuality in my own life. Contamination phobias are, sadly, common in my family and can become very crippling and I do what I can to keep my thinking away from such things, as well as I am able to.
Of course it could be something completely different. That is just my experience with this kind of thing. Mileage and all that.
Thank you, LoveDiva for taking my post in the spirit in which it was intended. I know what it's like to be really afraid of triggering my own sensitivities and how I have to watch out for being too hyper-vigilant. I'm glad you understood that it was just one of many explanations. I re-read my post and was really hoping it would only be seen as my experience and to help enlighten, perhaps. Thank you for your taking the post as I truly meant it to be read and understood.
Yeah, some babies have really amonia-y smelling diapers. I've done a lot of child care in the past and in my work as a lactation consultant and a doula, I see (smell) this once in a while. Maybe one in 10-20 babies or fewer than that. It kind of burns my eyes and throat, but I don't know why it happens. It's happened consistently enough that I'm pretty sure it is the diaper, and not my being over vigilant.
I hope the meat thing doesn't happen again. Couldn't have been pleasant.