So this is likely my last pregnancy. (This is relevant because sensitization only mostly affects subsequent pregnancies). However I am NFP 4eva, so you never know.
I have received Rhogam 5 times in the past. It is a blood product, which bears some degree of inherent risk (like all blood products).
My husband is positive. My first son is positive BUT my second son is negative, which means DH is Heterozygous (his blood is actually +- where mine is --). This means I only have a 50% chance of this baby being +.
Soooooo: now there is a test, from maternal blood, that can tell me the baby's blood type. Meaning I could potentially avoid a potentially redundant blood product exposure.
1. Decline the 28 week shot. (Which only reduces risk of sensitization from 1% to 0.1% if I accept a shot after delivery IF the baby is +. Rhogam after the birth of a positive baby reduces the risk of sensitization from 13% to 1%)
I found a Cochrane review that doesn't seem to support 28 week admin but I could be misinterpreting: it is standard practice here.
2. Accept the 28 week shot & just don't think about it.
3. Pay $300 OOP for a test to see if the shot @ 28 weeks is even indicated. (I am currently trying to get insurance to cover but it will most likely be a fool's errand).
I am soooo frustrated that a test exists that could help me & insurance doesn't cover it! (There was some cost/benefit done & they decided it is way cheaper just to give all negative women Rhogam).
Interested in y'all's thoughts. The theoretical risk listed on the pkg insert is BSE (mad cow). It might be relevant to know that altho all the meat in my home is local & grass fed, I ate two Wendy's burgers today, so I might have BSE already.