My toddler (will be 2 in Nov) has significant damage to his front teeth, likely from nursing at night :( No surprise, the dentist wants to put him under to do the work. We went through this with my other son, too. It is VERY expensive, and will be very difficult to afford the anesthesiologist's fee (I've yet to determine how much, if any, insurance will pay but regardless, we have to pay up front and be reimbursed by insurance. annoying.) I just called the dentist today and left a message to see if she'd be willing to give it a try with him wide awake.. some nitrous and a local and my lap, and see if he puts up with it enough for her to get anything done. Has anyone done that with a child this young? I definitely don't want to do the strap him down and let him scream route, that is NOT an option. He did okay for the exam/cleaning. He sat in my lap, held still, held his mouth open for her. It just makes me wonder, can we just try the less expensive, less risky route first, before pulling out the big guns?
- topicDentaltagged by LiLStar, 9/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Lip tie, decay, remineralizing & WAPF diet.....help! Last post on 2/20/14 at 9:44pm in Dental
- Coconut oil? Last post on 1/31/14 at 9:35pm in Dental
- Is there a way to remove dental sealants? Last post on 1/21/14 at 5:23pm in Dental
- CEREC versus white filling Last post on 1/16/14 at 5:10am in Dental
- Please help! 15 month old with black stains on teeth Last post on 1/9/14 at 10:04pm in Dental
The Thinking Parent's Dilemma; or, Another Dentist Refuses to...
Last edited: 3/13/13
- Difficulties at the DentistLast edited: 3/14/13
- Difficulties at the Dentist
dental work on a toddler with no sedation..is it possible?
If it weren't for the mask fear I would have done the least amount of work with our family dentist to get her to being old enough to do more, if at all. They won't give a little one nitrous because of lack of safety studies.
She is turning six in a month and her fillings are fine. Maybe your dentist can do something similar since your little will sit in your lap already? Buy yourself some time till he is older?
My dd had enamel erosion on her front teeth when they erupted as a baby, and at her 3 y/o dental appointment we were referred to a pediatric dentist and found we'd need to get crowns for those teeth plus one other filling. She wasn't sedated - they had a great office that impressed me, dh sat with her and she got to watch dora on a special tv and had managed fine (did better for her appointment than many older kids).
If your ds managed fine for a regular cleaning - you might see how much you can poke around for a different dentist who may be able to do the work without sedation. It is expensive and absolutely the kind of thing that's good to ask around about.
I've gotten the feeling that some dentists just really feel uncomfortable about a kid being able to hold still themselves and push for sedation when anticipating a difficult procedure on a child. Then again, if other dentists suggest it to it may really be needed for the specific procedure and may just be the way to go - depends on the work that's actually needed.
Luck to you in figuring out what will work out best.
- › The 1 Year PHOTO thread 32 minutes ago
- › The First Cartoon Ever About Special Needs! 41 minutes ago
- › 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 14 (starts March 3,... 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Hereditary Spherocytosis and Vaccination 1 hour, 39 minutes ago
- › Silly things you've been told about breastfeeding? 2 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › considering Catholicism but family planning confusion - thoughts? 2 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › Question about unschooling and chores 3 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Need Answers. 3 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › H1N1 During Pregnancy 3 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 3 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Marcy Axness
- › Homeschooling with YouTube by SavvyHomeschool
- › Closing the Door On Childbearing by Melanie Mayo
- › A Journey Through Childhood with Seuss by Melanie Mayo
- › Belly Binding for Prenatal Comfort and... by Kristen Tea
- › Mothering Pregnancy Photo Contest 2014 Terms... by Cynthia Mosher
- › The Myth of "Pretty" Birth by Sarah Clark
- › Getting Bigger by Melanie Mayo