I don't know that this is particularly allergy/vaccine/etc. based in nature, but I didn't really know where to post this. And, it has to do with supporting the immune system, specifically the lungs/respiratory system. My middle DD, who is 3, seems to get much more phlegm, mucous, coughing etc. w/ every cold she has. My oldest DD, who is 5, is much less prone to cough, has less of a runny nose, less times she needs her nose blown, etc. There is just more congestion in her chest, she will cough more, longer, etc. My eldest never went through this, even when she was 2 or 3, so it's not JUST age related, though that may indeed play a part in it. My 3 year old is excellent at getting her nose blown, actually better than the 5 year old, so it's also not related to more nasal congestion, that I can figure anyway. I have seen other forum members mention taking certain herbs/supplements/etc. in order to bolster, not just the immune system, but specifically the lungs/chest of them or their children, and I wanted to post this in several places to get the widest response. Advice regarding this kind of supplemental/diet/practical support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for everyone's time!
- topicVaccinationstagged by mamasaia11, 9/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- A venerable who's who of vaccine skepticism….. Last post on Yesterday at 7:55 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Texas exemption? Last post on Yesterday at 6:46 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- 1983 to Present Day Vaccine Schedule....um, why aren't we regularly titering humans yet????? Last post on Yesterday at 8:34 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Thanks, Pharma. You created the “anti-vaccine movement” Last post on Yesterday at 7:36 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- this is the worst news article so far. What do you think? Last post on Yesterday at 7:07 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 12/26/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesLast edited: 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsLast edited: 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentLast edited: 3/8/13
Respiratory Supportpost #1 of 79/19/13 at 12:02pmThread Starterpost #2 of 79/20/13 at 2:25pm
Vit D is good for respiratory support and along with Vit C for overall immune health it's a great combo. Mullein extract (or tea) is great for coating irritated respiratory tracts while also acting as an expectorant to encourage more useful and productive coughs that actually draw out the mucous rather than just rattling it around. (I learned about this when my dogs had kennel cough and nothing from the vet was of any help once it had turned to pneumonia - but the mullein completely cleared their lungs!) Then there are essential oils like eucalyptus and peppermint which can be inhaled or added to bath water to clear the lungs. Oil of oregano is another immune booster that another poster on here is a huge fan of so hopefully she chimes in with some info on it for you but I've started to incorporate into our *medicine* cabinet, although the taste is a bit potent for me so I use it topically on the feet when a cold pops up and it's very effective.post #3 of 79/20/13 at 3:04pmThread Starter
Thanks for the advice! They already do lots of sodium ascorbate for Vit. C and get Vit. D drops daily except in summer, and we boost each when they show any symptoms of being sick, and it seems to help my older daughter a lot. The younger one too, in terms of duration/severity of cold, but no matter what, her symptoms will migrate to her chest and linger there. The Mullein extract sounds like a great natural expectorant that I will try right away. I've seen herbal tincture mixtures for kids, like "Kick-It Cough" by Wishgarden, that have some of these herbal extracts in them. With things like Mullein leaf, Astragalus root, Horehound herb, garden sage leaf, orange peel, Oregon grape root and ginger root. Has anybody used anything like this with good success? Are they hideous tasting?
I just started using essential oils this first cold and it has def. helped, I put lemon, eucalyptus, rosemary, peppermint, and oil of oregano in a small bottle of olive oil and applied this to the bottoms of their feet and put it in a hot, steamy bath. The cough seems less severe this time, but she still ended up with a cough, and, again, her older sister who had the same cold (came down w/ it on the same day), got none.
Thanks again, and hopefully others chime in with what works for them!post #4 of 79/21/13 at 10:09am
I have never used kick it cough but it sounds like good stuff in there.
I second that I have seen Mullein work but I have also seen Lobelia work wonders.
You only need a little bit of it to help with the lungs (to much and you will throw it up)
It is an amazing tool for asthmatics so it really does great for any lung issue.
I wonder if a mix of the two would be amazing.... not sure :-)
I even use it in a medicinal lotion with Anica and peppermint to help all pain, bruising, bites etc and it has worked more powerfully than anything else I have tried. I add extra peppermint essential oil to it and can rub it into the chest if a cough starts.
* I of course do use SA and Vit D etc and follow good eating habits*
"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."
Sun Tzupost #5 of 79/21/13 at 10:31amThread Starter
Yes, when ill I limit all grains, and cut out non-fermented dairy, I found they seem to bounce back faster this way. Maybe they just really want some toast :)
I will add Lobelia to my list, as DH has a tendency towards asthma, so this will be helpful for him as well. My mom harvested mullein for me today, do you recommend tinctures or teas for Mullein and Lobelia?
We love the Arnica topically for bumps and bruises in our house, I've never added peppermint oil before, but it makes good sense, so I'll try it next time. Thanks!post #6 of 79/21/13 at 10:02pm
I would never drink Lobelia in a tea unless you want to throw up!
Taking it in tincture form/ or even just putting the herb dried or fresh in a capsule would work great as well. It also works wonders in a medicinal salve.
I could go on and on about peppermint. I put it in everything now. I find that it seems to work with everything to make it stronger or just work better. I keep bags of really good peppermint leaves in my house at all times as I am always adding it to every salve, tincture, teas, food etc. If you make an Arnica/Lobelia/Peppermint salve, it will knock your socks off-way more powerful than just arnica alone. Just thought I would share
PM me if you would like the formula for that.post #7 of 79/29/13 at 12:28pmThread Starter
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › Birthing Stool 13 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 16 minutes ago
- › Winter just won't let up! Grrrr! 42 minutes ago
- › What's your friendship situation like? 49 minutes ago
- › How to wash children's head while he hates this to say the least? 57 minutes ago
- › Goodbye for me. 1 hour ago
- › Foreskin forcibly retracted 1 hour, 30 minutes ago
- › Bizarre question: gifted 4yo and potty training 1 hour, 50 minutes ago
- › Silly things you've been told about breastfeeding? 2 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Gestational Diabetes Support Group 2 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild